It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
botox injections for tight muscles

I read an article in our local paper today about a PT center at the hospital is using botox injections for tight muscles, muscles that won't release. I have a muscle in my back that only releases with the use of heat. I can't live on a heating pad so I have been using those Thermacare patches. But, it is getting expensive.

Has anyone here had this problem, had the injections, and does it work and for how long?

I am set up to go to a famous PM in two weeks. I would rather exhaust all avenues first. This PM only does morphine pumps. I would rather not go there with this.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
(female)

kt41577 HB User
Re: botox injections for tight muscles

when I first started with my back problems, they gave me pain meds, then I got the epidural and the physical therapy, and nothing was working, then they suggested a botox injection to allow my muscle to relax. I did some research and really didn't find anything postive about it, then talked to a couple doctors and got different responses, not enough to convince me to try it. I'm glad I didn't because after finding my current surgeon, he said it would have never worked for me and the condition I have (spondy). so it may help you depending on what else is wrong with your back. do lots of research on it before saying yes to a botox injection, maybe there have been some new developments in the past few months.
good luck and let us know what you decide to do!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

My problem is that my muscle is too toned. After my accident, one of my muscles never released. It is my understanding that the botox releases the muscle, but that doens't make sense to me since women get botox injections to firm up their face.

Thanks for your input, though. I am going to do more research on this.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User

moonlight,
I had Botox injections for Fibro and Migraines. I also have SEVERE DDD in my spine as well as my neck. That is why I had it. I had some serious complications with the Botox. It caused some serious Periphreal edema and major neck pain. It prompted an ER visit the day after I had my injections.
Not sure wether it had anything to do with the fact that I had 12 injections Or the fact that I was on my last day of Prednisone and they reacted together. I had been on Prednisone several times in the past with no edema. My neck pain and shoulder pain was worse than when I went in for the Botox injections. I would do more research on it as well and try other outlets before seaking this. That's just me. I do realize all bodies are different and react differently though. Have you tried Lidocaine patches? I have recieved them from my Pain Clinic doctor. They don't work for my backpain but sometimes for my muscular type pain. Just a suggestion.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I have heard many good things about the botox injections if they are done in the right area by a doctor who knows what he is doing. They use a much larger amt than is used for people who have facial injections and it really can release the muscle tension.

I would research the doctor first and then give it a try if I were you...you might ask about how many releases they have done and how successful those have been. Sometimes these things are a crap shoot I think. But I would do that before having surgery, I think.

Good luck.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 01-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

zephyrqueen:

I have tried everything under the sun, including the Lido patches. The muscle that is involved is deep inside the pelvic region. I have gone so far as to use morphine and no relief. The only relief that I get is from heat. But, I can't live on heat and I can't afford to wear the Therapack everyday. I have bought the little heat packs that sportsman use in the cold, and they work, and I can buy them in quanity at Costco, but I have yet to find a reliable way to wear them short of duct tape. They contain the same ingredients as the Thermapack, but much cheaper.

My next stop is a shrink and then a very highly thought of PM that only takes cases that no one else can solve. Best in the area. That will be next week and I hope that he find answers.

Thanks for the reply,

Closed Thread