It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
(male)

i3lueHorneT HB User
Unhappy Back Muscle Soreness - Right side under scapula

STATS:
Male, early 20's, lean 140pds.

AREA:
Middle right side, area under my scapula and just above hip, its most concentrated (intense) about four inches under the lowest of my armpit in the lower inner corner of my scapula.

BACKGROUND:
I have back muscle soreness (back pain I guess) only on the right side of my body, which leads me to believe it stems from how I sit and write at my desk and being left handed (as I cant attribute why only the right side to anything else -though I do look to the left for my computer monitor leaving my head turned about 30-45 degrees shy of straight ahead).

I've had it before within the past few years (4?) just as I have it now and it seems to only startup after I've spent a few days to a week's worth of 2-4 hour periods a couple times a day of sitting at my desk. I've tried sitting on my legs (crossed), widdening distance between knees, sitting with knees at 90 degree angle, anything I can think of aside from laying down. I've gone through ergonomic checklists with all the proper chair-to-desk/elbows-fall-on-desk/etc. heights to no avail. I take breaks every 1-2hrs and do mild stretchs that seem to target the area, take 5-15min walks and again have seen no relief. I've taken nearly a week off from spending anymore then just over an hour a day at my desk and this has also yet to help. When I do sit for over two hours, three months ago when I didn't have this issue (but as I said have had it sporadiacally over the years, eventually though after quite a bit it does seem to just go away, I imagine from spending little to no time sitting at my desk), I would just begin to feel it coming on after a week or so worth of daily writing. After that ~2hr mark I would have to force myself through the pain and eventually it became quite unbearable around the 3rd-4th hour -it begins to show in my handwritting oftentimes long before that mark.

I also started stretching again (used to stretch thoroughly in morn. and lightly before bed months previous) at the same time, what I do is basically a mildly intense full-body stretch, starting lightly for the first few weeks and slowly working back into it mind you, lasting forty-five minutes. After which I feel envigorated, have the blood flowing, ready to start my day and all that happy stuff, in other words, no back issues post stretching but it doesn't necessarily clear any pain I might have had pre-stretch, it just doesn't seem to bring it on is all.

The pain seems to be something that comes on only whilst sitting for the most part, to initialize it, then it can last throughout most the day but only getting annoying/intense during sitting. I don't have to be at a desk writing anymore, not that I necessarily did when it started, to bring it on. Sitting to eat breakfast (within two hours of waking) I can feel my back muscles ache.

Not sure what else to include, haven't spent but a minute in the forums here so go ahead a flame about search feature.
/Any advice or personal experience appreciated. Thanks!

peace,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User
Re: Back Muscle Soreness - Right side under scapula

I have a major problems with my left shoulder. You haven't mentioned anything other than your work that could be causing your shoulder problem. Do you do anything outside of work such as any kind of sports? The reason I'm asking is because it could be due to a sports injury that you are unaware of. Like a repetitive type injury. It would be very UNUSUAL for it to be carpul tunnel syndrome, since you are describing the pain up under your scapula. Do you remember any type of injury to your shoulder that you can remember? All this would be helpful. If it persists, I'd suggest making an appointment with a doctor.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
(male)

i3lueHorneT HB User

[QUOTE=zephyrqueen]I have a major problems with my left shoulder. You haven't mentioned anything other than your work that could be causing your shoulder problem. Do you do anything outside of work such as any kind of sports? The reason I'm asking is because it could be due to a sports injury that you are unaware of. Like a repetitive type injury. It would be very UNUSUAL for it to be carpul tunnel syndrome, since you are describing the pain up under your scapula. Do you remember any type of injury to your shoulder that you can remember? All this would be helpful. If it persists, I'd suggest making an appointment with a doctor.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply!

SPORTS:
Running program. I have been running during this time as well, and was running the previous time I've been sitting like this. You know maybe I'm swinging my right arm out a little off? I'm often checking my form when I run indoors, but I suppose it could be an issue.

SCAPULA:
I should note that this past week I bothered to spend some time checking it out in the mirror, as I noticed a couple weeks back that my right trapezius seems to pop-up distinctly higher then my left (when I have my hands clapsed out in front of me, about solar plexus level two feet out). Well I went to investigate why and noticed my right scapula, bottom inner corner, sticks out my back much further then my left (when the left and right trapezius are at different levels). I have to squirm around a bit in the mirror to get my left and right sides to match, but I don't seem to do it naturally, that is, everytime I have to spend a minute or two adjusting and re-aligning myself through the mirror.

Actually, now that I think of it further about 1 1/2 years back I was given a demonstration where a self-defense instructor pinned me to the ground on my left side by twisting my right arm/wrist back. Wow, now that I think of it further my right wrist has an issue when I do tricep extensions (holding a dumbell above me head, palms up, dividing the weight between both arms). But I've been having this back issue much previous then any weight training I've been doing, and I don't have any pain in my back during or particularly after my sessions either, I would guess that the wrist issue was brought about by the demonstration, I know my left arm had a popping sound when I rotated my wrist (I fell to the ground and braced myself with it) for a couple weeks, which I did get checked out but told it wasn't and issue and to just work through it (keep rotating it). And the scapula/back pain issue could have been aggravated by it.

Can't think of anything else, never been treated/hospitalized for any similiar issues. I'm trying to collect, do, and record as much as I can before seeing a doc as I figure I could save quite a bit of money if I go in a bit more prepared instead of being told to keep a log book and return a couple weeks later, or have x-rays done for something I know isn't the issue (not to say I would be better informed then a Dr.). Thanks again.

peace,

Old 01-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #4

carlyrise HB User

Just my opinion, coming from a Massage Therapist, GET A MASSAGE, from a reputable place that either has a chiropractor or acupuncture, and ask for hot stone or just a regular deep tissue........we adjust to the pressure you can take. You will not believe the difference it can make. I hope you feel better. Do not spend any more time suffering when it could more than likely be helped!

Old 02-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
(male)

i3lueHorneT HB User

Well its been quite some time, nothing much has changed. Any more advice I can go with? Really not sure what to do here, think a massage might just make it feel better for a bit but not really correct anything.
/Thanks.

peace,

Closed Thread