It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

trauma_girl HB User
Question When do you need a fusion

I was just wondering at what point is a fusion in order, is it after a lammy or a disectomy? Is it used for DDD or disk herniations?

Old 01-09-2006, 03:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User
Re: When do you need a fusion

My daughter had a two level fusion along with a laminectomy and discectomy for her grade II spondylolisthesis and stenosis. We tried for two years with nonsurgical methods before surgery was done. cas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

Hi
Thats a difficult question to respond to as circumstances differ for each of us. I jave always looked at surgery as being a the "last resort". I would always seek several opinions prior to having surgery and I would exhaust all conservative tretament options first (physio, water therapy. Pilates......) If conservative treatments have not succeded and the consensus from 2 or more surgeons is that you need surgery then I would seriously consider surgery. Hope this is of some help

Losy

Old 01-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

I too agree with what Losy stated. When surgery was suggested we sought out two other opinions before agreeing to the surgery. Good advice.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
(male)

faubs110 HB User

A laminectomy is usually performed if u have radiating leg pain.......usually this surgery is for people whose back pain is not bad but have intense leg/foot pain...they also usually make the holes that the nerves exit through in the spine wider to allow more passage capacity...i think it's called a foranomity (not sure of the spelling)......a diskectomy goes hand in hand with a fusion...they remove the disk completley put bone in its place and then usually some hardware to fuse the bones together over time......with any surgery it will make the spine unstable......and with a fusion the areas above and below will degenerate at a more rapid rate (more so in the lumbar rather than the cervical spine due to the amount of weight supported by the lumbar spine as oppossed to the cervical)....also there is a debate in the medical community over this.......most surgeons just want to cut because that's what they make the most money doing.......any caring doctor will exhaust all possibilities first....

Old 01-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

You'll know when it's time. For myself it was very difficult, I contemplated it for a very long time but when I decided to go ahead, I knew that I was comfortable with it and it was time. I had exhausted all non-surgical options. Ranging from physiotherapy, accupuncture, ESI, rehab, core strethening, excercising etc. My surgery is scheduled in a months time. I'm terrified but I feel confident and I look forward to doing things that I haven't been able to do for 4 years or longer. Good luck, I wish you the best. Let us know what you decide to do and if you have any questions let me know. Kristy.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

Hi Kristy
You are so right re knowing when its time to take the surgical step. I to exhausted all options before surgery many years ago. I had an L4/5 7 L5/S1 fusion many years ago and it was the last resort. Its been relatively succesful. I have had many good years with minimal or from my spine. Its a pitty I cant say the same for the bone donor site (illiac crest). This has been an ongoing problem for many years but only really became a serious problem after an accident while water skiing. I guess the moral of the story is live a more conservative life and always think twice before acting as the saying goesin building trade "measure twice cut once"

I hope all goes well for you and I look fwd to seeing positve progress reports in a few months. Remeber follow your drs advice and dont no matter how confident you feel.

Good luck

Losy

Closed Thread