It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User
job interview while still taking prescription pain meds

can they not hire me when they detect opiates in my pee test. its a very good job. i was a police officer before my surgery and still suffer from neck problems.

what could they do even though my prescription is legal. has anyone had this problem. i really can't function without medication.

please respond if you know or have dealt with this. jayboy

Old 01-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
(male)

360fusion HB User
Cool Re: job interview while still taking prescription pain meds

hello well how does your body respond to the pain killers, i mean when i first started taking them 2 years ago i was falling asleep at the wheel etc.. that was real scary and i stopped driving due to this, this went on for about a month and then my body must have got used to it, and now i can function fine as far as there is no dizzyness, ect... i dont think the employer can legally not hire you because you are taking a perscribed painkiller, but some employers are shisty and if they dont want you because they feel that there is a risk to them of a law suit ect due to you being on meds then they will make up some excuse not to hire you. like the position has been filled, we are looking for someone with more experiance, you know what i mean.. there are many laws that say that an employer has to abide by in regards to employment but there are many ways around this and they know them all. well i wish you luck on your job and hope you get it, good luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: job interview while still taking prescription pain meds

I used to work at a drug testing place and they had different tests depending on what the company requested. Most of the tests they only tested for THC marajuana. So there is a possibility that they will not even be testing for the drug that you are taking. It all depends on the company that is looking to hire and what they request the drug testing company to test for. Good luck and keep your fingers crossed. Also there is possiblilty of error. There were a certain percentage of tests that went through where the data entry that was done on it was wrong even though the person tested positive for something the data entered was negative and they passed.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User

thanks for the info. i got a second interview on friday. i sure hope they don't mind that i take the pain meds. from what i have heard, they can't discriminate for any types of disabilities. i was a police officer for nine years and they put me on disability. now, my neck is killing me and arm and hands too.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I have been throught the drug testing thing several times. I just tell them when they do the test that I am on pain meds and they make a note of it. They are looking for illegal drugs and LARGE amounts of opiates.

They can't not hire you because of taking pain meds, but once they make a job offer, they can have you do a fitness for duty exam and ask you questions about things that you might do on your job and your limitations and then they can find another reason not to hire you.

I had one manager flat out refuse to hire me and state that it was due to a prior injury that I incurred while working there as a temp. It was illegal to do this, but it stood by his desicion and I have a law suit pending (Fed job).

IF your job involves any sort of machinery or driving, they can turn you down if you are on opiates.

Good luck,

Last edited by injured betty; 01-11-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I think it depends on your state. Employers CAN not hire you because you are taking prescription medications -- you could be a major liability for them if you are injured or you injure someone else while at the workplace while on these meds. Just because there is a prescription doesn't mean that you can function within normal parameters for every job.

I worked at one company that does a very thorough background investigation on new hires, including the drug screen. One lady who applied was very up front about her prescription medications (pain killers, muscle relaxers, etc.) on the drug screen form. The company hired her and two weeks later decided to fire her since they decided that she would be a liability in the workplace (she was a secretary to a VP). She, too, thought it was wrong since she had a Rx.

MANY people are addicted to the medications that we all take everyday just to get by. It seems like every few months I hear about another doctor whose license was revoked due to over-prescription of pain meds. It's a HUGE problem for employers.

My current company is aware that I am taking both pain meds and muscle relaxers, but they also know that I'm a professional and won't come to the workplace in any sort of "altered" state of mind or with slow reflexes, or whatever. My colleagues and superiors realize that the body can build up a tolerance to these meds and that they don't cause the same side effects (drowsiness, etc.) now than they did when I first had surgery (which was 3 weeks ago).

For what it's worth, I'm a department manager of a NYSE-listed company... I work primarily in an office, but also go out to our manufacturing floor occassionally.

In Florida, workers' compensation is a very touchy issue (== lots of $$$) for employers. Employers are trying to protect themselves any way they can. We are also a "right-to-work" state, meaning either party can sever the employment relationship at any time for any reason. They don't HAVE to hire me, they don't HAVE to keep me, and I don't HAVE to stay.

Closed Thread