It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

Sara5678 HB User
Question Calf Muscle Spasm

Three days ago I woke up in the morning with a terrible charlie horse in my right calf. After I managed to massage it, the horrible pain went away. Ever since, the calf is really sore and hurts when I pull my toes up, when I try to stretch the leg, or just push hard on the muscle. I have never had this happen with a charlie horse. I have not gotten them very often.

Does anyone have any advice? Why would the calf still feel so sore? Will this go away?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Calf Muscle Spasm

People can frequently have really bad muscle charlie horses especially if their postassium levels are off (high or low), as well as when they have other conditions. An imbalance in potassium is very frequently and probably most often the cause though, even after we have back problems. If you take BP medications, or if you take Lasix or the generic of Lasix (water pill) because of fluid retention, it is easy to get an imbalance. Sometimes, just adding banana's to your diet will help if you have a low potassium level, sometimes we need to drink a little bulion soup, but if you have more occurrences, I'd recommend you see your doctor so they can check your levels with a blood draw. They can give you the results and prescribe to add or reduce your potassium levels right away.

Of course, sometimes we have just overdone and stressed out a muscle or group of muscles.

Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
(male)

Pdawg HB User

Hopefully it goes away soon. I know the agony of that. ouch! I find if I do stretches that usually helps a little. And of course, A banana a day!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #4

AS300 HB User

Just to add to what everyone has already said, i found that I wasn't adequately stretching my calves during my workouts (workouts involved mostly walking). After I've started to really stretch my calves before and after, I haven't had too many problems. Also, sometimes, I can feel the cramps coming on...usually it's when i extend my foot out (toes pointed down)...last couple of times, I immediately put my calf into a stretch (point toes up)...and it didn't really cramp too badly...then i got up and stretched my calves.

And to alleviate your concern about the soreness/severity of your cramps...i've had calf cramps where my calf was sore and hurting for days so i don't think that's too unusual. But it is definitely painful, so hope all these tips help.

Last edited by AS300; 01-16-2006 at 11:00 AM.

Closed Thread