It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

michelelynn1 HB User
tailbone area-shooting pain-symptoms listed please help!

My husband is calling to get into a doctor sometime in the next week, but I wanted to see what others thought first.
He has been having ongoing pain for over 2 years but the past few months its been getting worse. The last week and days has been unbearable.
Here are the symptoms. The pain comes from his tailbone area, but its not a backache. He explains that the pain isnt on the outside but almost inside like a core pain. Again, he pinpoints the tailbone. It is a shooting pain that is worsee when ihe is laying down (he cant get comfortable) or when hes getting up from a sitting to standing position. The pain is sharp, not an ache and takes him almost to the floor and tears sometimes. At times, the pain will extend down the back of his thigh but always is stemmed from the tailbone area.
A doctor told him last year that it was arthritis, this is definately not arthritis. What is in that area that could cause this extensive of pain? The past few days it is bothering him all the time.
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
(female)

michelelynn1 HB User
Re: tailbone area-shooting pain-symptoms listed please help!

I forgot to mention, when its a "bad day", it even hurts when he takes deep breaths and always when he sneezes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
(male)

z06 HB User

I have that same thing and i have a L5 S1 Disc herniation. Tell him to get a MRI ASAP and not to lift anything !!

Old 01-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
(female)

janwooden HB User

I have chronic tailbone pain. Well the way it happened is the only way I can explaine how baddly scarred it is.

I fell from bed, Broke my tailbone it was a tall pillowtop up off the floor, then my exhusband when we were married began to force me to have anal sex with him, I was also a new mother nursing an 8month old baby when I fell.

I was working full time sittng all day long as a data entry clerk, once a week or so Taro my exhusband would analy force himself on me, each week he would force the bone an inch or two more bent backwards, inch by inch my tailbone got pushed up to a 90% angle to the spine,

I was in pain, I asked the nurse at the doctors office for help, I told her I fell and was in pain and wanted an x-ray.

I was too embarrassed to tell her what he was doing she was older and judgemental enough and I didn't know if she might help me or make fun of me for not fighting him and hurting him or pulling a gun on him or whatever..anyway...he hurt me each week, each month for 9 months

My tailbone was bent completely off and backwards and wiggling loose under my buttcrack skin. I complained to my chiropractor that I was throwing my back out at work constantly because I was compensating for a broken painful tailbone..that felt like I had had a railroad tie nail hammered into the base of my spine and about 4 inches above my anus hole.

He asked me for permission to put his hand down my spine and palpatate my talibone area, I knew him well and knew his wife and family, so I said ok sure...he put his hand down there and said OH Hell I can feel it wiggling....it moves back and forth about an inch in each direction...you need an xray now...he said his xray machine was broken.

I went to my regular DO and while there he waltzed out with the finished xray and then got a ghostly look on his face and offered me drugs, then surgery was scheduled within a week and the thing taken out. That was in Aug,1989. I hve been living on vicodin or some other narcotic pain meds since

The doctors are doleing them out slowly and cautiously not giveing me more than 30 to 60 pills a month, I have also had 3 low back pain blocks done epidurmally and 3 neck blocks done...the neck blocks helped for the most part...the pain clinic doctors said there is nothing that can be done for my tailbone scar and the pain I get when I sit now.

The doctors at the pain clinics said that they could not put nerve blocks down that low on my spine for pain or in that area, that it might cause me loose control of my bowels and be in adult diapers for the rest of my life. Two different pain clinic doctors have said the same thing.

The bone is gone, the pain remains...not as sharp or accute upon sitting as it was then...it was on a scale from 1-10 in June 1989 well it was about a 15 on the pain scale...now it is between 8 and 10 on the pain scale if I only sit for 2 hours or less. When I sit for more than 2 hours well it gets up to 15 on the pain scale again and my legs start going numb and I cannot walk alone when I get up from sitting.

I do lay around like a lazy couch potato most of the time now, it is all I can do.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="3"]
Hi Jan,
Sorry you had to go through that with your ex weirdo
Is there anything I can try to help you with ? I also live on narco's due to a low back injury , but not that low .

Sorry for the pain the idiot put you through ,maybe the same will happen to him someday [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 01-25-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Michelelynn, i agree with the others that your husband needs an mri, it sounds like some of the symtoms i have, I have 2 herniated disk l/4-l/5 and l/5 and s/1. I also have the tailbone pain and it could be excruciating at times. Keep us posted on what happens and in the mean time tell him not to lift anything heavy. Jan, I am so sorry to hear what you went through, I was almost in tears hearing your story. I am glad you are out of that nightmare. I am also sorry to hear about all the pain you had and is still going through.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Dear Michellelynn, I agree an MRI is a good place to start. It could be a bulging disc, sacro iliac problems, facet joints inflammed, tailbone injury, a lot of these problems mimic each other. Sometimes the doctors will try injections in one area, and if it helps then they figure out what the problem is. My doctors thought that my bulging disc was causing pain for a while, but figured out it was my facet joints and sacroiliac joints that were the cause of pain. Seemed like it took a while to figure it out, but now I can treat these problems with injections/nerve blocks/radio frequency, etc.

Jan, I am so sorry for what you have been through! You are a survivor-you have had so much pain, and dealt with it. I hope your pain medicines will ease your pain, and that the injections will help too. Is there any surgery that a neuro surgeon could do to remove the scar tissue in the tailbone area? Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Kera4

Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Michellelynn. First I think it's wonderful that you are being such a wonderful partner to your husband in seeking knowledge to educate yourself to better help him.

The pain sounds like "sciatica" pain to me, which could be stemming from his spine (causing "referred pain", into the buttocks). An MRI is an excellent place to start to help determine it's cause. He could be also having SI joint problems, which can also mimimick the same "sciatica". But again, the MRI will help confirm or rule out if it's his possibly coming from his spine.

More than likely meds will be given, such a an anti-inflammatory, a muscle relaxer, and a pain med. Very normal. Possible some physical therapy to see if it can help reduce his pain by stretching and strengthening.

If you husband is a smoker, smoking is a DIRECT link to back pain. It severly depletes much needed oxygen to this region of the body. Hopefully he doesnt smoke, if so, strongly encourage him to stop immediately.

Please come back and let us know how he is doing. You hang in there too. This is hard on our loved ones also.

Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

chewbug HB User

Hon, it sounds like it could be a pinched nerve from a herniated disk. You need to have him ask the doctor for an MRI.

Closed Thread