HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Please help, problems with upper and lower back/sides. (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/365781-please-help-problems-upper-lower-back-sides.html)

Orc 02-14-2006 08:21 AM

Please help, problems with upper and lower back/sides.

Hey all.

I'm not sure where to begin this, so many little things clumped together and I want to cover as much of it as I can. I guess I'll start at the beginning with my upper back, or rather my sides around my upper back. They started hurting very badly for awhile after I did a lot of heavy lifting, but with some stretches I got them to calm down but they never fully healed. I saw a doctor and they weren't much help, telling me to just pop some pills and it'd be better in a few weeks. That wasn't the case. Though it continued to bother me it became tolerable until the past few months. I would do my stretches or lift heavy things and I would be fine until I laid down or sat. My right side near my upper back would get this horrible sore/sour sensation that wouldn't calm down for at least an hour. Ontop of that, the front of my waist around my groin would be very painful and sore, and this started about two months ago. The left side is especially bad at times, feeling like the muscle is clamped in a vice or something.

After the sore/sourness would go away I'd keep getting cramps around my midsection and sides, and when I laid down I would still feel pressure and my muscles would have this odd gurgling sensation along with the sour feeling sometimes. I thought for awhile it might have to do with my intestines but eating doesn't have any affect on it at all, and the areas that are affected seem a bit out of the way for that.

I saw a doctor again, and she thought this might all be due to IBS, and told me to exercise and take walks. But it's so hard to do that, because doing streches just aggravates it all the time and when I walk it always feel so sour and 'springy' at times, like the muscles are being stretched taught and won't loosen. My sides are what's bothering me most right now, I'm so scared sometimes and I've been getting very depressed and stressed out over it. I don't know what to do, most people around me just brush it off as me making it up or they won't take it seriously. I don't have any health insurance so it's very hard to afford to see doctors all the time, and I'm out of work which doesn't help. Even if I had a job I'm not sure I could do it, I can barely stand for long without my upper back starting to hurt and the sour sensation just becoming to much to handle.

...does anyone know what this might be, is it really serious? I just don't know what to do, this has been going off and on for the past six months and it only seems to be getting worse, and all the stress doesn't help.

Orc 02-21-2006 07:51 AM

Re: Please help, problems with upper and lower back/sides.

Well after a few eeks I'm still having these problems, and now my backside has started bothering me..

and before I continue I just want to say I'm not making this all up, I get the feeling everyone was under that impression because no one replied.

This problem actually started three years ago, but I had it under control for the most part. Though not being able to sit for over an hour without being extremely uncomfortable isn't my ideal way of having it under control, but the time used to be shorter. Anyway, at the time I saw a doctor he told me this was basically something 'little old ladies' got, and suggested I just change my seating position a lot. The second doctor (who was much nicer) sent me to a physical therapist and it helped a little. But now all of the sudden it's back, and it really, really hurts to sit...

To top it off my neck is starting to hurt a lot too lately, the back of my neck has been hurting for awhile but now it's starting to hurt in front just below my chin. And my sides are still bothering me as well as my upper back, so much so sometimes I don't even eat anything I feel so horrible. I don't know what to do anymore, Do I need surgery, therapy, a chiropractor? I can't get in to see anybody right now and I could really use some advice...please?

Sometimes this all bothers me so much I just want to kill myself, seems old pains never go away and a new one pops up every few weeks. It's horrible, I just don't know what to do. I can't see this all ever going away.

IUfan 02-21-2006 04:59 PM

Re: Please help, problems with upper and lower back/sides.

Orc ,
Hey guy, hope this finds you doing better. It sounds like you have strained your muscles by the heavy lifting and you might even have some mild herniation. I know that in the past I would get muscle spasms when I sat or laid down at night after work. Sometimes it would hurt so bad I would be in tears. Living alone I didn't have anyone to help me by giving a massage or anything. And I went to a few different doctors and got the proverbial run-around. I started getting depressed too because I thought no one was listening to a very valid complaint I had about my body. Only through persistance did I find a Dr. who listened and did the tests that were necessary. At first it was just muscle spasms and there were things I could do at home to help myself as well as taking the meds prescribed for me. I did have IBS during that period and developed a severe case of Reflux/GERD that I am on medicine for life for it now. The gurgling and the area it's in does sound like what I experienced and it was IBS. The muscle soreness... that could easily be overexertion. Take it easy for a few days or whatever time you get free. Maybe try some aleve or advil to see if it helps. Take some hot baths/showers and let the water relax you. If you feel the need to stretch then do it lightly. I was younger and in better shape when I had similar symptoms to what you are describing. Had a habit of overstretching and that led to me compounding my pain and discomfort. Please understand Orc that I am not a doctor and can't diagnose you, besides it's against the posting rules to even try. I'm just sharing my experiences with you so that you might be able to identify with them and try some of the things that worked for me. If I were you though I would definitely back off of the heavy lifting and try every option available to you OTC and at-home remedies so when you do go to see a doctor you can tell him/her what you have tried and what has helped and what hasn't. And when you see him/her be sure to talk with them, not at them or to them. And don't be defensive if they don't give you satisfactory answers. Be polite and tell them you'd like to get another opinion. Above all take care of yourself. No one knows your pain and discomfort better than you.
Not having insurance is a major obstacle for you. If indeed you are experiencing a level of unbearable pain you always have the option of going to the ER at the Hosp. near you. There are still hospitals that have state or internal programs in place to help people who don't have the ability to pay.
All in all you may in fact have a serious back condition that might require a doctor supervised regimen or even surgery. No one here can tell you that you do or don't based on any info you post here, only a doctor can. We can only offer suggestions and our opinions based on our experience, and you have to remember that our experience is not your experience. To wit, I had disc replacement for my condition and someone else could have the same or like symptoms as me and have a totally different diagnosis. Please understand that I say these things to help you not to belittle or talk down to you in any way. On the contrary, I empathize with your predicament, I only wish I could do more.
The one thing I would stress to you is that if you are thinking suicidal thoughts and think there might be a potential that you would carry that out... GET HELP immediately!!! Call 9-1-1 or your local Crisis and Intervention center.
Orc, I wish for you only the best of outcomes and you'll find that there are others here who would wish for you nothing less. Don't get discouraged if no one replies to your post, I have my first post on here still unanswered. What I did is start reading other posts to see if I could gleen any useful info and ended up finding what I was looking for in my first post. Be diligent, patience an persistance.
My best to you and keep us informed on how you're doing. :)