It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

Jersigrl HB User
Intoducing myself

Hi, my name is Jersigrl.......I just wanted to introduce myself and try to get a feel for this board. I have belonged to other boards, but have a family member who seemst to follow me, and not in a good way. I have numerous medical conditions. Where to start? At the age of 14 I started out with whole body (Rheses) casts, followed by four years of wearing a milwaukee brace to maintain and maybe get a little more correction. Fast forward, I had 3 children in 3 years from age 23 to 26, great pregnancies, bad deliveries. The last 2 were by c-section. I now have 8 protruding, bulging and herniated discs in my spine, arthritis, and DDD. I have a fairly large fibroid tumor in my uterus, endometriosis, adhesions and I am currently going through diagnostics for a "new" lump in my left breast. I have a "mass" on my left cheek of my face, and some skin cancer. Also, docs are trying to figure out why my hands do not work all the time. I know, a lot to absorb in one post. I guess my every day, day to day issue is spinal pain. I am on pain management, and I only take what I need, not all that they prescribe....I am so frightened of becoming dependant on pain medication, all I need in addition to my already existing conditions! My gyn doc wants to do a D&C with a "retractoscope", it looks medievil, like a grill lighter with a lasoo on the end. I guess they want to try to remove the tumor, or at least part of it for biopsy, and then after that want to do endometrial biopsy. I am hoping to find people in similiar situations to communicate and commiserate with. I hope I am in the right place! Well, hello! I hope I make new friends here! I am looking forward to being a contributing member of this forum. Thanks, Jersigrl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Intoducing myself

Gulp,,,and I thought I had it bad.. welcome to back problems, boy you sound like you had a ruff life so far and your young, Hope you get your body fixed and have a painless life..need anything just ask

Old 02-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
(female)

Jersigrl HB User
Smile Re: Intoducing myself

Thanks Shawly! When I get rid of the headache I currently have, I am going to try to surf this site and see what's here.....have a good one, Jersi

Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

HurtinHouston HB User
Re: Intoducing myself

Hi, Jersi! Welcome aboard. So sorry to hear about all your troubles. I can empathize. I'm in my 50's now, but when I was 23, I had my first female surgery. Then from 27 to 28 I had several more that ended with a total hysterectomy. Back in the early 80's, it was common practice to operate rather than find the cause. I later learned that I was hypothyroid and had a hormonal imbalance that they could have treated without all the surgery and loosing my womanhood. Fortunately, I was able to carry one pregenancy to term before all that. He's 29 now. Have you seen an endocrinologist to have your thyroid checked? Ask them before you go if they do TRH testing. I passed the TSH tests for years with flying colors. It wasn't until I had the TRH that they found I am hypothyroid. Female problems are a HUGE part of hypothyroidism.

In '92 I had a fibroid tumor removed from my abdomen (not cancer), and last April I had another removed. In June, I found a large lump in one breast and had to have ultrasound and mamogram. Fortunately, it was okay, just an enlarged cyst.

I am dealing with DDD, spondy, stenosis and herniated discs (also Workers' Comp as I got hurt at work). It appears that I may now be dealing with something else. I went to the designated doctor evaluation yesterday...a neurologist. After almost 2 hours of checking me from head to toe, he brought my husband in to talk with us. He started by saying that according to WC, he was only supposed to check my back and legs, but after talking with me for a few minutes and seeing my level of disability, he went further. He said that WC will only allow the treating doctors to address my lower back and radiating leg pain, but we need to go outside of the WC box. He told us that I need to see a neurologist as soon as possible for testing. He said he couldn't guess what it is without a battery of tests, but is afraid that I will continue to deteriorate and may not be able to move at all someday. Unfortunately, due to his position with WC, he can't treat me, but said if he could, I would be in the hospital having tests and being looked at by several disciplines until they found out what was wrong. Unfortunately, I lost my insurance coverage with the job. I have some insurance through my husband, but it's out of another state and there are only a couple of internists approved in Network. We tried to get an exception since there are no neurologists approved in Houston, or Texas for that matter, but haven't gotten anywhere. My husband got so discouraged after hours on the phone, that he finally had to leave and take a walk.

You say you have a headache. Do you get them very often? I have been having headaches almost every day for months. I finally stopped taking any medications that said it was a possible side effect and didn't have one for a couple of days, but then I started getting them again, just not as bad.

What part of your back is the problem? Mine is primarily Lumbar, but I also have pain in the mid-back and neck that started several months ago.

Anyway, I don't want to vent on you, but just let you know some about me as we seem to have a few things in common.

I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. If you need to talk or vent or whatever, there are a whole bunch of good people here with all kinds of experience. I'm looking forward to our becoming friends. Let me know if there's anything you need.

Houston

Closed Thread