It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
(female)

Bictwin HB User
Question Darvocet. ANyone taking this??

Okay so I did it again! I didn't realize I was running low on my pain meds until it was too late. Now I only have 5 doses left of my dilaudid to last Saturday-Tuesday. So I called my doc, and she isn't in the office till Wednesday so she told me to take the leftover darvocet I have. Now the last time I took the darvocet, I was feeling short of breath! Does this happen to anyone else? Does it pass or what?? I really hate to take it, but theres no way I'm making it though 3 days without pain meds! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Ash

Old 03-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
(male)

ld3340 HB User
Re: Darvocet. ANyone taking this??

I guess it would depend on how long you took it before, They do work for pain, but if I had a reaction like that I wouldn't push my luck. I have taken Darvocet many times, as I am a clutz! Never had that feeling. I have gone to the ER for a pain shot when my meds didn't work well enough. They also wrote me a three day (weekend) script when I ran out. I just told them what I'm on, and it's been chronic, and they gave me abreak on the price. Most dr.s will be on call, or have a nurse take a call, and will call the script in so you don't go to ER.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
(female)

Bictwin HB User

Really? It's my understanding that they won't do that for the meds we're on. They said they can't call in Dilaudid or any of the big pain killers. You HAVE to have it in triplicate! WHat's that about? Let me know if this is different to any of you? Maybe it's different at each pharmacy?? HMMM??????

Old 03-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
(female)

Melissa765 HB User

[QUOTE=Bictwin]Okay so I did it again! I didn't realize I was running low on my pain meds until it was too late. Now I only have 5 doses left of my dilaudid to last Saturday-Tuesday. So I called my doc, and she isn't in the office till Wednesday so she told me to take the leftover darvocet I have. Now the last time I took the darvocet, I was feeling short of breath! Does this happen to anyone else? Does it pass or what?? I really hate to take it, but theres no way I'm making it though 3 days without pain meds! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Ash [/QUOTE]

Hey! Sorry you're feeling so cruddy... Honestly, tonight as I'm typing this I can barely breathe, and it started right after I took the Darvocet!!! I took 4 puffs of my inhaler and am thinking of taking Benadryl as well if it doesn't go away quickly. I am SEVERELY allergic to codeine, and it's my understanding that Darvocet is slightly related (?) to codeine. I had a reaction to Percocet, and then to Tylenol #3 where I had to actually call 911 if you can believe that. Anyway, the last few nights that I've taken it, this has happened, so I doubt I'll be taking it again. If you do decide to take yours, please just be careful because if you *are* allergic to something, the reaction gets worse and worse each time you're exposed to it.

If you go into the hospital, will they give you something to tie you over until Wednesday? I know that after I told them all my allergies, when I went to the E.R., but that when I had Morphine (of all things!) before I didn't have a reaction, they even offered to give me that without a second thought. haha But then I ended up refusing it because I get all goofy and can't think straight which is when they gave me the Darvocet. So it's honestly worth a shot even if you have to sit in the E.R. for a few hours in my opinion.

Good luck and get better soon!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
(male)

ld3340 HB User

I havent had any trouble at all getting Vicadin Extra Strength, Thats pretty strong stuff. The Methadone I have to pick up in person from the doctor's office. The ER Gave me 12 Vicadin for the weekend without a problem. Some doctors offices may include Darvocet like the methadone or oxycontins. I sure wish you luck. Ibuprofin is probably the best you can do in a store.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
(female)

Bictwin HB User

Yeah I am allergic to codeine as well and last time I took the darvocet I had the breathing problems, but I was also having other problems. Before I even started taking the darvocet I was taking vicodin (which I've taken before) but this time it gave me a weird rash all over my legs (for a little while the ER thought it was meningitis) so they figured it was an allergic reaction and gave me darvocet, then I was back in the ER with breathing problems. I guess the smart thing to do would be to go to the ER, i just hate waiting, plus I have school Monday and a huge test on Tuesday, and I just wont be able to get through a day without pain meds! Thanks for helping everyone! It's been a lot of help! Anymore would be great! Thanks guys!

Ash

Closed Thread