It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
Can back problems cause double vision/blurred vision?

I only ask because I've been having unexplained double/ blurred vision for about a week now. It's not completely double, but more "overlapping" of an object to a "shaddow" of itself.

It's been one heck of a month, and I've had a few illnesses that could cause it, but I wasn't sure if I should add back problems to that list. I've had,

*Conjunctivitis (from a sick, and sneezing, optometrist putting her fingers in my eye)
*Sinus Infection
*Stomach Bug
*Back Pain
*... And now this double vision

Anyway, I've had 2 eye exams and both doctors said that my eyes were completely normal, but that either the conjunctivitis or the eye drops that I'm using for it could cause slightly double vision. I know that sinus infection can cause it as well if they're very severe, so my ENT ordered a CT scan to rule out that I had pressure on my eyes (still waiting for the results on that). But yesterday, while I was in the hospital for an appointment (back related), something dawned on me: They ALWAYS ask if I have double/blurred vision, and it just so happens that now I DO! So can something that's wrong in your back cause disturbances in your vision? If my eyes are fine, and assuming that my CT scan comes back normal, I'm just looking for some answers as to why I cannot see straight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
(male)

JoeD617 HB User
Re: Can back problems cause double vision/blurred vision?

Hi Melissa, I've been having the same problem, double and blurred vision. I have lower back trouble <had a micro D and a redo> back in jan of 04. I now have a buldging of the same disc. L4 L5. I Started having double vision last summer and thought it was nothing serious. I have had my eyes checked and everything is fine. I also have an appointment with a neuro-opthomologist next week to have him look at them also. AS far as a connection with the back it doesn't seem likely but I have an appointment with the back surgeon tomorrow and thinking maybe I should ask the Dr about this also. I did have an MRI done on my brain as well and it did show I have a cyst, but who the heck knows. The Optomitrist I went to first sold me a pair of bifocals costing me close to 500.00 bucks, I put them on and still had the double and blurred vision. Where are your back problems? This is interesting as I have posted in a few other boards as well.

Keep us up to date and I'll do the same,
Joe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Though pain undefined/ and defined can cause all kinds of symptoms, have either of yall done any testing for Diabetes?
Sugar imbalance can cause all kinds of troubles as well and especialy if your numbers are bad those are a common consern.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
(male)

JoeD617 HB User

Melissa, Do you also get headaches, vertigo and feel dizzy at times as well? I did a web search and think I found something but as usual the print is very small and I'm having a dizzy spell at the moment. Also have you gotten naushua <sp>? I did find this and it's very interesting, look up "PSEUDOTUMOR CEREBRI" It says something about a punchure of the lumbar spine can cause these symptoms. I am haveing trouble reading it right now.

Let me know what you find as well,

Joe

Old 03-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
(male)

JoeD617 HB User

[QUOTE=zoey1]Though pain undefined/ and defined can cause all kinds of symptoms, have either of yall done any testing for Diabetes?
Sugar imbalance can cause all kinds of troubles as well and especialy if your numbers are bad those are a common consern.[/QUOTE]

Zoey, yes I have and I am not diabetic, thanks for answering. I think I found something interesting, read my previous post <I need to lay down for a while but will be back> no pun intended

Old 03-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi All,
It's so funny that I would read this as I just got thru telling my son how I have so dizzy for the last few days. Dizzy, terrible headache yesterday, feeling almost drunk at times.I have been on my meds way to long to be suffering from new side effects now. I will be watching this board for any info you might come up with. I will be calling Dr. if this continues, which is what I would recommend to any one who may feel like this.

Carol

Old 03-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
(male)

JoeD617 HB User

Hi Carol, I found it interesting to say the least, I started having double vision last summer, it seemed to go away and came back in Dec. 05, I had seen so far an othomologist who perscribed glasses that cost me 500.00 ad still had the problem, i went back and he did more test. He told me to have blood sugar checked and I did, I called my primary care Dr and he said he was "stumped" and sent to an eye clinic, I had seen one dr. there twice and another Dr once and they set u another appointment with a Dr. I called that office and asked if she <the Dr> was a neuro-opthomologist and they told me she is a pediatric Dr. I said Well, I'm 51 and I am canceling this appointment. I do have an appointment with a neuro-optho next week. It's been rough with the sever headaches <I did have a brain MRI done as well> double vision <so bad at times I can't make out the features on peoples faces> Also vertigo and being dizzy. and today I read melissa's post and almost fell over and made me think if it was possible and that started me on the web search. I typed in Back injury double vision and that led me to "Pseudotumor Cerebri" meaning "False tumor" and that also led me to "Browns Syndrone" I typed in "Spinal injury Pseudotumor Cerebri" and the same with "Spinal injury Browns syndrone" Do you get vertigo at all? I have to give thanks to this board and a special "todaythanks" to Melissa, without her question I would have never thought of a connection of a lower back injury affecting my eyes like this. This board has been a tremendous help to me. Thank You everyone for being here and for al the help and support. I wish it was under differnt circumstances <sp> . But you folks are the best.

Joe

Closed Thread