It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink fusions of patients with auto-immune disorders ???

Here is a question for those who know about Autro-Immune disorders: With the hardware and fusion materials used for the fusion...could your immune system reject the metals and fusion material recognizing them as a foreign or enemy part? Someone asked me if that could be why my fusion failed and if that might happen again the next time around and I did not have an answer. I hadn't thought about it. Due to Auto-immune disorers, my body has already rejected my thyroid and my ovaries, recognizing them as foreign parts. It's an interesting question, I thought.

Any thoughts on this?

Lorie

Old 03-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User
Re: fusions of patients with auto-immune disorders ???

Hello Lorie-
I have run across several references to immunocompromised patients as high risk patients for fusion failure - but the specifics escape me just now. I will be doing some reading tonight on just this so I'll report tomorrow. You'll probably have a hundred responses by then but ... we'll see. Night - Suzy-Q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

JyLiss HB User
Re: fusions of patients with auto-immune disorders ???

I think it depends on the auto-immune disorder. For example, if someone with systemic lupus were to contract AIDS, they would either die immediately or not be able to develop AIDS (just be a carrier possibly). I have systemic lupus and at 1-1/2 years post-op I'm finally fusing. I haven't rejected the hardware (it's stainless steel).

However, the lupus made my recover that much more difficult on a number of fronts and I have to be extremely careful about any kind of infection or bleeding.

Closed Thread