It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
Muscle Relaxers =/= Helping Pain?

Hey again everyone! Instead of dragging back that old thread I made (thanks for all your replies even though I didn't write it on the thread!!!... I had a rough weekend), I decided to ask on a new one...

Now, I tried Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine), 1/2 pill at night, and it makes me very drowsy even the next day. HOWEVER, it doesn't even help! I have no pain relief, and my arms just feel heavy and like they're dragging. I know that muscle relaxers aren't the same thing as pain medication, but shouldn't it help at least a little? Anyway, the doctor said that I could go up to a whole pill (10 mg), but I don't know if I want to do that. I don't want to be completely wiped out yet still have NO pain relief. It's hard to describe but it's like in my mind I'm up and ready to go out shopping, go do school work, etc., but my body is like "SLEEP!!! "... and I inevitably have to follow what my body says. hahaha

Now, I don't know if this is possible, but have any of you ever heard of taking pain medication AND muscle relaxers at the same time? I mean if the doctors want me on muscle relaxers to try to free up the actual PROBLEM in my back, I'll try to stay with it and function as best as I can even with the drowsiness, but I cannot stand the pain any more.

They were going to put me on the neurontin, but as I said before, my mother freaked out and said that people in my family have had adverse reactions, which is when the doctor said to try a muscle relaxer. I've tried Darvocet and it didn't work (plus the doctor said that it was a horrible medication to begin with because the pain relief is so short... causing addiction), and I'm severely allergic to codeine (i.e. Percocet, Tylenol #3, etc.). Is there anything that you can think of that works really well, yet meets all of that criteria? I'm just looking for something to suggest to the doctor when I call her back saying that this new medication isn't doing anything.

Thanks so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
(female)

Love2cook HB User
Re: Muscle Relaxers =/= Helping Pain?

I have never had any pain relief from muscle relaxers. And I've read time and time again that they are just sleeping pills in disquise.

When I took Flexeril, I noticed the same felling of fatigue. But after taking them regularly, along with my pain meds, after my surgery (2 yrs ago) the fatigue lessened and I was able to function just fine. In other words, for me the fatigue was one of those side effects that go away with time.

Best of luck to you!

Elaine

Old 03-26-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User

If you can't use neurontin- are you the poster who said you can't take topamax also?

Old 03-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
I have taken flexeril 10 mg every eight hrs. I do take them with the ES vicodin, neurontin 1500 mg a day, and pamalor 2 at bedtime.

I have taken the flexeril for a few yrs, now, the sleepy part did go away for me also but I do take them with pain meds with no problems. I hope you find the relief your searching for soon.

Carol

Old 03-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
(male)

hoyt HB User

Hi. I have DDD and have also tried flexeril. It basically did nothing but make me sleepy. If that is side effect that is bothering you, I wouldnt' take it with pk's because both cause drowsiness...so it would most likely intensify. I took it with some rx strength anti-inflamatories for a while- that was slightly better, but I think for some it works better than others. Good luck.

Hoyt

Closed Thread