It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
(female)

Bloomers HB User
Back pain when sitting - What is it?

Off and on for several months, I've been getting low back pain, (right above my crack, if I may) after sitting for an hour. The pain seems to come from the spine, so I don't think it's muscular. I lift weights and may have done something to initiate this. I can't say for sure. However I have stopped doing exercises that put strain on my back. I also do the eliptical as that actually makes my back feel better.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly this is. I don't have shooting pain down my leg or into my buttocks, also there is no numbness or tingling...just pain right above my crack when sitting for any length of time. So I don't think it's sciatica. Doughnut pillows don't help much either.

I'm plan on seeing my doctor about this soon to get her opinion, but have a feeling I'll be given the infamous script for Motrin, and sent on my way. Could this be a herniated disc? What would be the symptoms?

Thank you in advance!

Old 03-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User
Re: Back pain when sitting - What is it?

Try a small pillow in the small of your back and see if that helps any. When my back first started, I couldn't sit for more than an hour or so. But then I couldn't stand for any longer than 30 minutes. Makes the phrase "power shopping" come to light and you should see me fly thru the grocery store!!!
Good luck and hope you find what works for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
(male)

mmusilli HB User

It could be just that your muscles are very tight, putting pressure on your spine... Start stretching slowly and every day... If it keeps happening, you may want to get an MRI to see if you have a bulging disc or OsteoArthritis in a disc. If so, Glucosamine and Condroitin are great supplements for this.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Bloomers: Try to find a PT or a doctor who knows about core muscles, not the ones that they talk about when exercising, or the ones on infomercials, but the set of muscles three layers deep inside of your pelvis. I am on an exercise regiment where I exercise these through out the day. At first it seemed weird and annoying, but it really works. I could not sit for more than thiry minutes.

They tested it by having me *set my core* and then stand on one leg. I was all over the place and could not balance. This was because I had let my core muscles go after an injury. But, try it again after setting your core muscles and you can stand on one leg all day long. That is the test.

I do this weird thing where I lay down, imagine, but not move an arch across the lower back. Then, I imagine an arch inside of my back, down the middle of the pelvic region. Without tightening up the abs or obliques, I have to do Kegals. That sets your core. It sounds easy, but it took me a couple of weeks to master this and now I do it all of the time.

For three years, my DO told me to work on my abs/core. But, he was talking about the abs/obliques as a core. That did not help my inner muscles, which are actually your core muscles. You can't even feel them on the outside. They are three layers deep.

To figure it out, you, as a female, try to stop urinating half way through. Only try this once. If you can do it, your core is not really bad. If you can't, then your core needs work.

You might find that with working your core, the pain absolves itself. It is working for me

good luck,

Closed Thread