It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

awm38 HB User
Ultram vs. Lortab

Im currently taking 10 mg. of Lortab 3 times a day for herniated disc, which is causing me alot of sciatic pain. Im thinking about asking my Dr. to change me to Ultram because i have heard it is less adictive. Does anyone know if Ultram is a narcotic, and if it is what class of drug is it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Ultram vs. Lortab

This has been debated a long time here on this board. I have taken both, so will share with you what comes from the PDR and other books on prescription drugs.

Lortab is strong and I cannot take it and function as it makes me sleepy, plus I worry about the addiction possibility. I have used Ultram for a number of years now, taking maximum doses prior to getting relief of pain through surgery. Now, I just use it sporatically on bad days. Although I have never had a problem with it, some people do.

Some doctors say Ultram is narcotic, but according to the PDR, other books as well as the printouts that come with the medication, it is NOT narcotic, BUT although they don't understand why, it tends to work like a narcotic. Therefore, SOME people, especially those who have had an addiction problem in the past, or those who are predisposed to addiction due to other conditions, can indeed become addicted to even Ultram.

Now, although it works so well for me, you realize that like all drugs, what works for one may not work for another. Also, some doc's will start out with Ultracet, which is a less dose 37.5 mg versus 50 mg that is in Ultram. The lesser dose is mixed with tylenol. Since tylenol doesn't work for me, the Ultracet was like taking nothing for me, but the Ultram is fine.

Certainly, rather than be on Lortab 10's, especially for a long period, it is worth discussing with your doctor. Many doctors are far more willing to prescribe a non-narcotic medication, and you may find that it relieves your pain better. Another item that you may want to consider is the Lidoderm patches, providing you have decent insurance.

They are expensive, and while some also argue that it cannot help as it is absorbed through the skin, thus does not go deep enough to help, it also has worked wonderfully for me. I have a number of major things wrong with my back, and even though I now have 10 levels fused I am active. However, with all this hardware, I do get big time pain, especially when I over do. So, I use the patches which you wear 12 hours and get up to 24 hrs relief. Not the small disc, but large patches at 5% Lidocaine which you place over the painful area. On a really bad day I can use up to three of those and also use Ultram, so that I am pain free and able to do things.

Hope you get relief from that disc soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

Shannont HB User
Re: Ultram vs. Lortab

The only real problem I had with ultram is that it lowered my seizure threshold and I responded with seizures. I had NEVER had seizures in my life - I do not have epilepsy or any other seizure disorder. However, due to taking ultram and the resulting seizure, I am now the "unhappy" patient of a neurologist, in addition to pain management and all my other doctors. Fortunately, he is just about ready to say it was simply an allergic response but the ultram literature does note that it lowers your seizure threshold so if you now have or have ever had a predisposition to seizures, I would strongly urge you NOT to take ultram or ultracet. I have taken neuronton and topomax for pain for a long time and both of those medications control seizures so it's hard to know if my seizure threshold was lower to begin with or not but that's just my two cents on ultram. I have found that lortab controlled my pain better than ultram but the addiction potential is certainly there with lortab.

Closed Thread