It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
(male)

ld3340 HB User
Leg swelling became more important than the back

Hi, I have posted here concerning a low back injury, L45 and S1. My injury has finally gone past the year and a half mark. I had wrote here about swelling I had, mainly just below the knee, and not real thick. I just thought is was from not using the muscle. I was wrong. Lymphedema is no laughing matter. It can happen in quite a few ways, and a not so prevalent way is trauma around the spine. I let mine go unchecked, the doctor wasn't concerned so... Well, my foot is round and hard, as is my calf and around my knee. The lymph system is kind of like the circulatory system, in that it surrounds the body, and flows. There are many one way valves that keep the fluid moving. If a major one is damaged, or some of the smaller ones cannot open, there is a "back up" in the system. The swelling can become quite disturbing. If you have ever seen the pics of people in Africa with that elephantiasis, they're leg swollen like an elephant, well, that is because of a parasite damaging the lymph glands and valves. I don't know of anyone in the US getting that big, but there are some I'm sure. Well, this is kind of an important thing to be careful of, and I am amazed I haven't read much on this. Breast cancer patients and some like that are warned because of the removal of some of the system valves know what I am talking about. I am wondering if there are any more of the back injuries that have had this? If so, was it not talked about because of the embarrassment? Plus I could use some pointers on how best to deal with this, as my spine injury only acts up worse during PT. Anyone with more info please add, or if I have something wrong, set me straight. Thank you, LD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
(female)

WebWizard HB User
Re: Leg swelling became more important than the back

[QUOTE=ld3340]Hi, I have posted here concerning a low back injury, L45 and S1. My injury has finally gone past the year and a half mark. I had wrote here about swelling I had, mainly just below the knee, and not real thick. I just thought is was from not using the muscle. I was wrong. Lymphedema is no laughing matter. It can happen in quite a few ways, and a not so prevalent way is trauma around the spine. [/QUOTE]

I had this similar issue start about the 2nd to the last steriod shot I had taken. It's not uncommon of this happening. Reasons being #1) steriods can cause it and #2) if you're not able to exercise and keep your circulation up that can also cause the water gain. Also if you're taking a lot of pain medication or a mix of medication, that can have an affect of low circulation problems causing this to happen.

I experienced the adema in my legs and it really started showing up after I stopped the steriods and quit all the pain killers. My level of exercise wasn't up to par like it should have been either because of my lower back being damaged.

It will go away eventually the best way to fix it in the mean time keep your legs elevated as you can. If you sit a lot, get up and walk every so often or at least stand so your blood can circulate instead of build up. It will make a difference. The swelling in my legs has finally gone down and the swelling in my feet is going down little by little.

I hope it gets better with your situation as well!

Old 05-31-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
(male)

ld3340 HB User

I thought this was going to be permanent,and a no win situation. Now I feel a little hope. thank you LD

Old 05-31-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

LD.. Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with swelling. I take it you have been diagnosed with Lymphedema? How are you being treated for this and what how is your prognosis going forward.

You are right Lymphedema is no laughing matter at all, and it does NOT just go away. There is a lot of very meticulous things you have to do going foward, such as avoiding infection, and keeping your skin meticulously clean at all times.

I am not sure why people don't talk about it much, but I dont think it's out of embarrassment.

I am not authority on it, only what I have read, as I had really severe swelling in my legs and feet a few weeks ago, but we are pretty sure it was an allergic reaction to the nerve meds they tried me on. I am glad to say that majority of the swelling has gone down.

Keep posting here guy, and let me know how you are doing? I hope you get some relief soon. Tammy

Old 05-31-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

HI LD,
Oh my goodness !!! I had never heard of this at all until now. I can't begin to imagine how you must feel. I do hope and pray that you do recover very soon. Is this painful? I hope not. There are so many things that I have learned since being on this board, the learning just never seems to end, unfortunatly the learning is at someone elses expense, that part I'm too crazy about.

I do hope you are better soon, God Bless

Carol

Old 06-01-2006, 12:05 AM   #6
(female)

WebWizard HB User

I see a little bit of swelling every so often but nowhere near as bad as they were a few months ago. I'm back on pain meds again (once a day) which doesn't help. I've lowered my activity down to almost nothing due to the pain level but I'm stubborn so that doesn't stop me from trying to do things if I have my days when I "feel better". I hurt like heck for the next few hours afterwards but I tell ya what, something got done though. I guess I "should" really re-think that concept though. hmm.. nahhhh

Closed Thread