It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User
Tens Unit for nerve damage pain???

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi All,
I just recieved a tens unit to see if it helps for the nerve damage symptoms. I can say that after trying it once so far, it did give immediate relief. I have used one during therapy sessions after a shoulder surgery last summer and it was great then.

The Dr. and I have decided to try the non drug route this time. I don't want anymore than the 2400 mg neurontin or anymore of any drug for that matter.

Just wanted to see if anyone out there has any experience with this for the nerve problem after fusion surgery.

I hope we all have a pain free night and monday.

God Bless !

Carol[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2006, 03:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: Tens Unit for nerve damage pain???

Wonderful news Carol!! I hope that continues to work and I will mention this to the surgeon today and see if I can also try the TENS unit for that. I had one when I went through IDD therapy last year to try, and i liked it, but at the time it wasnt that useful to me as the therapy i was in was doing a good job.

I have thought on a TENS machine for my back going forward for muscle spasm control, never thought about it for my leg! Excellent idea. I will see what he says. Thanks. Tammy (So glad this is helping you reduce your pain!!!!! HAPPY HAPPY DAY!!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Hi is the tens unit one of them electric pulse thing ? I have a thing called RS medical that shoots a little electric through a patch , it helps a little for me.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
The tens unit does have the tingly electric feeling to it not sure what the rs medical is tho. The tens unit is something that so far I only feel relief with when actually using it but that is welcome at this point. Good Luck if yout ry it.

Carol

Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

yup , same thing , different name.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

I have a tens machine which was originally prescribed for my knee pain. I use it on my back (I have bulging disc and facet syndrome). One thing I notice is if I place the pads too close to my spine it will increase pain. But if I place them further out on the muscles (like on my rear end) I get more pain relief. It seems to stop the knotted/cramped up muscles. In my opinion the tens machine is good for relieving the muscle problems associated with spine problems, but can't really do much for the actual problem. good luck! Kera

Old 05-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
I can't put the electrodes by the spine, I have hardware and they do caution not to put over metal implants, I'm assuming that would mean the screws, etc. It did not relieve my foot and leg pain when I tried it on my back and upper leg that is where it was recommended to place them for leg pain. When I put them on my foot and upper calf I do get complete relief, yea !!! it does last for several hours after I turn the unit off, if i keep it on for 30 minutes or more at a time, but do need to repeat thru out the day so far.

The Dr. did say that it will help me with the pain but not solve the problem. I'm so grateful that I'm not just adding meds to get relief this time. I do, so far, highly recommend the unit. I have only had it a few days now so I'm really in the testing stage now. Good luck to all that may try it.

Shawley, nice that it helps even if it's a little. I'm hoping it keeps me from having to increas the meds any more, I hope the same for you also.

Boy I have wires from bone stimulator on back, wires from tens on foot, I better not go out in the rain, I might end up with curly hair, rofl!!! Oh and not to mention how sexy i must look, lol.

Carol

Old 05-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Just a note, now I can say I'm electrifying, if i learn how to spell it that is.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi Carol-
I'm betting your looks ain't on the top of your list of concerns these days! Thank goodness the TENS Unit is working. Whoopie! You sure are due a break. I hesitate to go too far though in this game. It makes me nervous. My Mon In Law has been having a rough time with a cyst on her cervical spine (C6-7). She's had epidurals and prednisone but neither have done much good. PT aggravated it something terrible. So, at long last she gets to see the surgeon and he really doesn't want to operate on this thing and sends her for a thrid epi saying ...."...I really think this one will do the trick for you...." Where have I heard that before? A few days ago, her daughter suggests maybe she should try to sleep in a very elevated position since the pain seems to come on in the early AM and fades as the day goes on. Her theory is that there is some fluid build-up sort of thing as a root cause of the pain. Reasonable? Sure. Mom tries this and she has almost no pain! She tries it again the next night and almost no pain! It is perfectly wonderful and I do hope it will last. I know she doesn't have enough experience to understand that this cure may fade. It is a disappointment I'm sure you all understand. But it makes the steps forward like this one, Carol, all the more precious, no? Enjoy, I say. Hooray for TENS Units! Suzy-Q

Old 05-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hey Suzy,
I'm so sorry to hear about mom in laws problems, I can't stand when we find these "cures" on our own, even if they last a short time. You woudl just think with all the money we spend on "professionals" we would be told the simple lil things that can help, but then we wouldn't need them then. I do so cherish every minute I can have no pain and I do hope this fix it does last, but I have never been one to give up too easy either. I am also glad to hear you mom inlaw is finding some relief also, I really think it's twice has hard when the older people have to suffer like this, they deserve to enjoy the golden years.

I also had a major pain today, dealing with disability, we are financially at the end of our rope waiting since 9/2003 for my approval. I had my hearing this past feb. we requested the hearing in 7/04, I'm told when I call today it takes 20 months total time, well you do the math, the guy on the phone couldn't, he told me have to wait till 7/06,THATS 24 MONTHS !!! i shout to him after like ten minutes of him trying to figure it out. He says oh it is isn't it, hehe. So now that we established they are behind a few months, do you think that made a difference,nooooooooooo. Needless to say, i got no where but to be told to wait another week. if you hear about some crazy lady at a SS building it just might be me freaking out on them,lolol.

Well now that I have vented, thanks so much for that, I will close and try to get some sleep, I hope.

God Bless you all and have a pain free night.

Carol

Old 05-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi Carol-
I'm glad you use this board to vent. It must be sooooo frustrating. I work for the state so I know what govenment can be like, believe me, an insider feels just as much frustration. I hear the same thing from so many people all over the place - the process is so slow and just doesn't seem to make any sense. What are people supposed to live on until thier disability comes through? Good question, eh? I'm sorry for the anquish you and your family must be going through.
My very good friend had a serious illness some years ago. She was eventually approved for disability and it was retoactivated to the exact onset of her illness and the money all came-eventually. But it was a heck of a struggle until then and they'd have lost their home if not for the help of family and friends. I know some will say they should have had a Short-Term Disability Insurance policy. They do now but it costs -they don't give those policies away.
Anyway, I'll not lecture anyone. I am a lab scientist and no expert on disability coverage. I'm thinking about you. Suzy-Q

Old 05-18-2006, 11:54 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi Suzy,
Thanks for the support. It has been very rough, but I can't work so I have no other choice but to wait and pray, lots of praying. Dr. says I coudl work if I can sit, lay, stand and walk when needed for as long as each maybe needed. Well if anyone out there knows of a job like that, I'm all for it. I just need to get it out sometimes, the last one that needs to hear it right now is the family. I'm so glad I here to let it out.

Thanks again !!!

God Bless

Carol

Old 05-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #13
(female)

daldridge HB User

If I don't get relief after my surgery June 15, I am going to ask for one!!! You guys speak so highly of it.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I find the TENS unit effective for most pain but it's not effective for everyone. If you do purchase one make sure it's a prescribed medical device as some of the ones you see online that you can not buy do not have the same bandwidth or strength that the true medical ones do.

I do find that Lidoderm patches however, are more effective for me when it comes to the nerve pain.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:11 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi All,
That is a very good point Kissa, you should check with your Dr. or therapist, it does come with some restrictions like you can't put it over metal implants!!! that would be a biggie if you have a fusion !!! not to put it by the hardware. So PLEASE make sure it is a prescribed thing before you try it. Good luck to those who may be able to try it.

Carol

Closed Thread