It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

msmona HB User
C5-C6, C8-T1 radiculopathy - Scar tissue after fusion L5-S1.Lami l4-5

Hello everyone and Quietcook my prayers are with you at this time. I read your post and I hope your mom is doing a little better today.

I have had to have more testing done on neck and lower spine. My hands and arms go completely out of commision and my right leg at night It is really hard to sleep anymore with this all going on. Does anyone know what the radiculopathy is? And I thought the carpal tunnel was causing me all my neck and hand symptons but the doctor who did the emg and ncv testing said it was coming from my neck. I had a mri and it came out normal so I am wondering the only part of my spine that no one looked at was my thoracic. She asked me if my shoulder hurt and I told her sometimes I cant raise my arm to exercise. You know some doctors look at you and maybe treat you like you dont have any pain and it is in your mind. After reading Dr. Sarno's book I started to think maybe that was my case the TSM syndrome, but I can tell you all this. When you cant move in the middle of the night and that PAIN wakes you up out of a dead sleep you KNOW something isnt right but you cant put your finger quite on it and the doctors (maybe some of them) thinks it is poor muscle tone. After going through the surgery and then now all these other tests I am really worn out with the medical stuff I just want to function half way normal and without drugs, shots, etc.

Hopefully my pain mgt doctor can address all of these things for me. I have been out of work since Oct 2005 and my LTD was denied so I am appealing it now with all this new stuff going on. The two doctors say I cant work and they need to do the proper paperwork so I can get some kind of income so I can continue my physical therapy and all these doctor visits. I am hanging in there everyday and pray for relief one way or the other, because when you are trying to get well and there is no funds coming in that just increases your stress and anxiety and sometimes complicates the healing process. At least I am finding out that much through all of this. Maybe I will go ahead and file for social security and see what happens then. Only God knows what the future holds for all of us and dont give up because then you give into the pain and that dosent work either. If anyone has any insight into this nerve thing please share your story with me and thanks for reading this long post again.

Lori I hope you are doing better everyday too, thinking of you.

Love Msmona

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: C5-C6, C8-T1 radiculopathy - Scar tissue after fusion L5-S1.Lami l4-5

Hi, msmona. I'm sorry you haven't gotten more replies; it happens sometimes. I am sorry that no one seems to be finding out what is wrong. You're right in that being awakened from a deep sleep by PAIN is the surest sign of something being wrong. I was surprised to read that the MRI was normal; wonder what a Mri with contrast would show? Or flexion x-rays? From your description, you almost surely have an undiscovered problem and I hope someone finds it soon.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 06-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
(female)

msmona HB User

Hi Carol and how are you doing also? Yes as you see it is 2:08 am and I cant sleep again its terrible no sleep and in this pain, even I take the pain meds before I go to sleep. I too wondered about the mri being normal but again they read it out of the country. I am going to request someone to read my mri films here in the city. This doctor uses some service over in India via email my photos, I dont think I like that too much you know what I mean especially now since they said withthe nerve testing done it was coming from my neck. You know the thing with these expensive tests are sometimes the doctors dont go by the reports and they diagnose the condition by loooking at the films theirselves and then you have the pain mgt doctor saying something different from the surgeon. I am so tired of being in their loop to loop and I am determined someone find out what is exactly going on in my entire spine after all this time. Thanks for writing and let me know how your doing too okay?

Love Msmona

Old 06-07-2006, 05:25 AM   #4
(female)

Rushtonbear HB User

Hi msmona,and all.I'm in a rut too.Last year I fell injured low back,I had xrays,MRI,Discgoraphy,CT,therapy,which makes things worse,pills up the gazoo,I was told by surgeon too fat for a fusion I need to loose weight,okay been dieting since last year,lost maybe 15 pounds since then,I get a call from him,all a sudden he wants to do the single fusion L5S1.I'm concerned it won't fuse,other trouble along the way,already three above levels bulging and herniated,not bad,but could worsen.I filed SS,still waiting for a hearing,stupid.plus on WC.You guys have an anterior approach or posterior,sounds like posterior,so you get more problems.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:32 AM   #5
(female)

lumbarjackswife HB User

Better check because I don't think you can recieve w/c and SS at the same time.
Sherri

Old 06-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
(female)

angelahprice HB User

Hey sorry to hear about your problems I also used to awake during the night with numbness and pains in my hands and arms. One Dr. said I had Fibromyalagia (SP) so he prescribed prozac and elavil and it helped I was able to sleep deep enough that the pain no longer woke me up. But also in the middle of all this I changed jobs and was able to come off all meds. The only time I have this problem now is when I work extremely hard including lifting heavy things and standing on my feet all day. Even with this about a month after this usually 3 month period of work all my symptoms disappear again. I've had several nerve conduction test and they show some nerve damage. I also thought it was coming from a neck injury. I hope this helps some. Good Luck

Old 06-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
(female)

Rushtonbear HB User

no,that stinks,yet if you got pensions andSS you can keep them,not right,you go through hell with back,and its never an end.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:23 AM   #8
(female)

msmona HB User

Thanks all for writng and[B] Angel [/B] what did the nerve testin g show and what kind of medicine did they put you on for the fibromyalgia? and what kind of tests did you get I would like to know further about your pain and thanks all for your input. I had a terrible nite again, the vicodin,flecxeril and lyrica dont do nothing for my leg or my arms, neck and shoulders. Its a mess to live like this anymore but I wont give up and hopefully they put the puzzle together soon, I have been thru so many exrays mris its not funny and now I wonder about all this radiation from all these exrays.

msmona

Old 06-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
(female)

angelahprice HB User

Have your Dr check you for whats called pressure or trigger points. These are certain areas on your body that react to pressure being applied. They had me taking elavil and prozac in combination to help me sleep at night. I couldn't take this during the day because I was not able to function. Meds are strong in combination I also was taking Flexril and Naproxin. But as I said before once I releived most of my stress my symptoms got better.First test showed cervical condition complicated with radiculopathy to both hands as well as muscles in the neck and back. Second time tested showed the same as above as well as carpal tunnel in both arms. Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
(female)

msmona HB User

Hey Angel what kind of tests where they that you had for the pain. I have tried elavil many years ago and prozac is no good for pain issues. I hear you about stress but pain alone can put you in the stress mode. I am worse at nite, the pain wakes me up and I can not move, the bones feel like they are on fire, its really bad, and I take vicodin and flexeril they do nothing for this relentless pain. They tried me on lyrica and neurontin and believe it or not my nite pains got worse so they took me off of that. My pulmo doctor said the neurontin makes your nerves swell, have you ever heard of that before? I am hoping to take some anti inflammatory but they said no because it will mess with the fusion have you ever heard of that one? So do you feel better now and what did they do for your pain in arms and wrists too. The body is just going thru too much right now/.......lol...hope to find out soon what can help it besides pills, pills, pills. write again and thank you

love msmona

Old 06-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #11
(female)

angelahprice HB User

like I said before I was convinced it was my job causing most of my pain. And when I swapped jobs my symptoms began to get better. The elavil and prozac were to be taken together at bedtime mainly to put you in a deep sleep the Dr said that was the main reason for the pain is because my body was not getting enough rest because of the pain in the arms waking me up. Now the only time I have this problem is when I do alot of heavy lifting and straing of my muscles. And even then afterwards if I take the meds for a few days and get plenty of rest the symptoms go away again. But until you are sure what is causing you pain the type of treatment is up in the air. The nerve conduction test showed nerve damage but I didn't want to have surgery so like I said I changed jobs and got rid of main reason behind my pain. I don't know what kind of work you do but if heavy lifing and repetitive motions are involved then you may want to consider a job change .

Old 06-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #12
(female)

msmona HB User

Hi Angel I went to the hand doctor today he said I had transitional carpal tunnel whatever that means and gave me splints and then he said I need to get checked for diabetes and circulation and to sleep in a recliner tonite. I was like you got to be kidding. He said the pain in my arm and hands is not from carpal tunnel and posibly nerve problem but I guess he wants to rule out the diabetes and the circulation. I am like so tired of this running around to doctors I could scream. Maybe I should have seen the rheumotologist along time ago cuz the pain mgt, and all these tests and the meds have made me worse off then ever. So I will try these splints and see if they help and try to sit up and sleep tonite but I doubt it I can manage but will try it out. Thanks for keeping in touch.

Love msmona

Old 06-14-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
(female)

angelahprice HB User

Hey MS how did your night in the recliner go? I know it gets tiresome going to Drs. over and over but just be patient eventually they will figure it out. Best wishes.

Closed Thread