It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
(male)

Miket1227 HB User
Sciatica? Four months, is this possible?

I have been diagnosed with severe sciatica. I have been had this for over 4 months. Had MRI L5-S1 herneation. The pain starts deep in my right butt cheek and was traveling all the way down to my calf. But now it is just in the but cheek and calf. No more pain in the back of my thigh. The butt and calf pain is sometimes so unbearable. My back pain has been completly gone after one week from my injury that lead up to the sciatica. I have good days but mostly bad days with this pain. My doctor will not let me work, cause my job is very physical, alot of lifting. I have tried therapy....no luck, I am now scheduled for x-ray guided epidural injections. I am starting to get very depressed. I have been out of work for over 80 days and my employer told me they will only hold my position for 90 days...at that point they can take me back,but at a different position and possibly a pay cut....this is adding to my depression!!!! big time!! And I am sure depression and stress do not help with my pain. I am just wondering has anyone ever heard of sciatic pain lasting for ever??? cause i need to figure out my options as far as my job and the future of it.

The following user gives a hug of support to Miket1227:
Allanon10 (12-13-2011)
Old 06-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
(female)

pooh26 HB User
Re: Sciatica? Four months, is this possible?

Has your dr. said if the herniation was pressing on the sciatic nerve? I dealt with severe degenerative disc disease at the L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels for 2 yrs and during the entire 2 yrs. I exprienced sciatic nerve pain. I went through therapy and epidural injections with no relieve. I have recently underwent a fusion at both those levels. The discs are no longer compressing the nerve but the nerve was compressed for so long that I still experience the sciatic pain. I have recently been put on Lyrica. It is a medicine prescribed for nerve pain. You could try asking your dr. if they felt this medicine might help you. But yes the sciatic nerve pain can last a very long time, especially if your disc is pressing on the nerve. Sometimes anti-inflamatory medicines can also help. I hope I have been of some help to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

MiktT,

Sorry that you are suffering. May people suffer from sciatic pain, but many only have flare-ups a few times a year lasting a few days to many weeks at a time, but then goes away. Then there are the chronic ones, in which are caused by a back problem or an SI joint problem.

The epidurals may be of great benefit to you or not really do much. You really should do the full series of three to see if they help you, even if the first two dont really do much. Please know that the injections are not a cure, just a help. Everyone is different. As Pooh said, you should be on an anti-inflammatory to help reduce swelling. Are you taking anything for the pain as well?

MRI don't always tell the tale of the true nature that is causing your pain. As I had several MRI and showed I had mild DDD with a bulging disc at L5/S1. I have had Sciatica for about 3 years. All non-surgical treaments failed to help. Finally the 4th surgeon ordered a discogram and we found a big surprise on it. We were all thinking that the bulging disc was the culprit of my pain.. it was not. The disc never responded to the test.. and if it were a problem, it would have caused me pain. Now the disc above, which was only slightly degenerated on the MRI.. sent me off table when he injected the dye into it. The dye leaked out as fast as he injected it. That was the culprt of my sciatic pain. I had a fusion 7 weeks ago at L4/L5.. and immediately following surgery.. the sciatic pain was gone.

Depression is indeed common and I think we have all fallen into a bit from time to time. It's very frustrating to be hurt and NOT bge able to do the things we need or desire to. I understand your depression about your job situation, from all angles. I was out of work for a year with my pain, and then I forced myself back to work again and worked through my pain up until I had my surgery. But my job was not a physical one, but it was still challenging just the same.

I hope you find relief and that things ease up for you soon. Take care. Tammy

The Following User Says Thank You to Justoneofus For This Useful Post:
UK Dave (04-12-2011)
Old 06-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Sciatica? Four months, is this possible?

My Sciatica started about 2 years ago. It got to the point of going down my buttocks, down both legs and into my feet. (It gets worse, the longer I sit). I have just had my 2nd fusion and I am hoping most of the pain is gone for good. I do still get the shooting pain through my buttocks and down the back of my legs...but only if I sit too long. I have been told, that if you have nerve damage, the longer you go with out relieving the pressure on the nerve, the more likly you can have permanent nerve damage. I am praying that is not the case for any of us.

Good luck,
Lorie

The Following User Says Thank You to lfoster21 For This Useful Post:
UK Dave (04-12-2011)
Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
(female)

ccl04-05 HB User

I had back surgery about 10 years ago. On day my butt started to fall asleep I just ignored it and it got worse. I when to two doctors, had test after test done and nothing. Finally I went to a teaching hospital and it turned out my muscles where causing it. I took a muscle relaxer and that was it poof the numbness gone. I was depressed and stressed and my body was reacting by causing my muscles to tighten to the point of lossing feeling in my leg.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccl04-05 For This Useful Post:
Allanon10 (12-13-2011), UK Dave (04-12-2011)
Old 06-08-2007, 04:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I have had sciatica since 2003.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, I've had a new case of sciatica for 3 months now on my left side. It goes from my buttock down the outside back of thigh, calf, ankle, and outer foot. I am going for the nerve block today, see if that helps any. I've had the epidurals in the past for another bout of sciatica and it seemed to have helped then.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Does anyone have spondylolisthesis causing his/her sciatic pain???

Old 06-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

[QUOTE=tsohl;3033978]Does anyone have spondylolisthesis causing his/her sciatic pain???[/QUOTE]

YES!! I HAVE spondy grade 1 and have had sciatic pain off and on for years. the longest bout lasted about 6 months.
I also have a bulging disk and pars defect which contributes to the spondy.

What has helped me with the sciatic pain is an exercise I do on my back where I turn both knees towards each other in a stretch and then release for about 10 sets. just simple turn, hold, release, 10 times. That seems to help, and hopefully can help someone else or at least it can't hurt to try.

My husband had sciatic pain for over 6 months a couple years ago when he foolishly thought he could still play hacky sack and that messed him up big time for months, but luckily it went away since he has no spine problems thankfully.

hopefully, some of this info helps.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
(male)

bass11 HB User

man when I saw this I thought you were talking about me.. I have had sciatica for exactly 4 months due to a very large L5-S1 herniation. I have had two epidurals in the last 6 weeks that have helped alot with the pain but numbness is still there which really bothers me the most I am still considering surgery for mine.. get the injections and see if they help and go from there . and always get advice from the doc..... hope you get better I know this sucks. maybe try some anti depressants they have helped for me. there alot of goods one out there and there probally one for you .... deprssion is bad I know... sciatica consumes your every thought and all you can do is think about your pain...... there is alot of suppoert here so keep in touch dave

Closed Thread