It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 12:42 AM   #16
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User
Re: Charite Disc Replacement

I was a police officer also for eight years. I could have continued after my adr but chose to go into security management so i wouldn't have to wear the gun belt which was around 15 pounds or so. He could really return to work as a cop if he had the adr. not sure about a fusion though. Hope he gets back to work. Jason

Old 06-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #17
(female)

tgpeters HB User

We are not worried so much about going to work afterwards. There are 4 guys down at the department now who have had fusions and are working fine. He is just wanting to get back the quickest way he can and I know all people are different in healing.

Is there anyone out there that has had this situation ?

Dr. Wants to do ADR on L5 but L4 is degenerative also but not bad. Like I said 6/10 on the L4 discogram. Dr says having the ADR will take stress off the upper and lower discs and help is from getting worse.

2nd opinion Dr thinks it could either way level 2 fusion OR a ADR at one level ( since 2 level is not approved )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2006, 03:40 PM   #18
(female)

go*big*red HB User

IMHO, a 2 level fusion is a big surgery and from the sounds of it, the one disc isn't that bad - so why mess with it at this point?

If I were approved (which I wasn't ) for an ADR at my worse level, I would jump on it. I've had a fusion at L5/S1 and am now looking at Dynesys at the L4/5 level because of the fusion. Too much stress on my one good disc in my lumbar. Now it's not good at all!

So, again, IMHO - If it were me, I'd go for the ADR at the one level and like the dr. said, it should keep stress off the other level to helpfully slow down the process. If a 2 level fusion is done, the level above that will eventually go. Then it's a never winning, never ending battle.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
10/10/06 PLIF L4/5, Dynesys L3/4

Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #19
(female)

tgpeters HB User

That is what I was looking for. We thought the same thing but wanted someone who had this situations opinion. We are leaning towards ADR. Looks like Surgery is Friday July 7th. Will keep you posted !!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:53 AM   #20
(male)

knight76 HB User

I was keen after reading a little about this operation. Unfortunately it appears this op isnt available to people who suffer from spondylolisthesis.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:24 AM   #21
(female)

go*big*red HB User

[[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Removed[/COLOR]]

[I][COLOR="darkorange"]Directing members to do searches outside of healthboards.com is not permitted.
Thank you[/COLOR][/I]
10/10/06 PLIF L4/5, Dynesys L3/4

Last edited by HBMod07; 07-20-2006 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Please do not direct members to do research outside of the board.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:30 AM   #22
(male)

knight76 HB User

Thanks a lot gobigred. As you can tell I havent done alot of research on my condition etc. Have just been putting up with the flare ups when they occur but I am keen for a solution if one exists.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #23
(male)

4pointroller HB User

This is not an answer but a related question. Is the Charite Disc the same as the Pro Disc?

The Pro disc has been part of an FDA study and based on the Public television telecast of an othopedic grand rounds at the Univ. of Washington about a year ago; the trial and case histories from Europe have been very good. I'm asking because there were other brand disks that allowed some lateral shearing movement talked about in the presentation that were not as successful.

I was waiting for the results of the cervical trials to come out. I have several lumbar and cervical problems from an old out accident.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:52 AM   #24
(male)

4pointroller HB User

Has anyone been quoted a price for paying for it out of pocket?

Old 07-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

the charite and pro disc are different, but Im not sure exactly how. the charite is only FDA approved for single level replacement (although some people have had multi level charites), the prodisc is designed for multi level replacement. the prodisc is not yet FDA approved but I believe its close.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #26
(female)

tgpeters HB User

Ok, bad news:

We were approved for ADR by our insurance. The 2nd opinion Dr said a fusion would be better because 2 levels bad. Ok So, NOW its a 2 level fusion ( If we let them )
It is scheduled for Friday July 14th.
My husband is trying to avoid THAT surgery, he wants to go back to work as a police officer and can. But he has to get a physical, problem is no one will do a physical and clear him for work because of his back problem. He REALLY doesnt want to have a fusion but it looks like he is not going to have a choice if they wont let him go back to work without it. Seems so unfair. I wish we could pass our approval for the ADR for someone that was denied.
Anyone recently have a 2 level fusion ? How is the pain ? back to work yet ?

Old 07-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

I had a 2 level fusion on 20 jun. so only being 3 weeks post op I really cant give any long term info.

the pain isnt that bad, pain meds do a good job, its just uncomfortable at times. I worked in constuction and they are telling me I probably wont be able to go back as there is too much lifting and twisting. Im not sure what the physical requirements for a police officer are but maybe the doc can give some idea as to what the odds are he can go back to it?

the charite disc isnt approved for multi level but the prodisc is made for multi level.. but its not FDA approved yet. it is supposed to be Real Soon Now but Ive heard that for months

Last edited by moderator2; 07-10-2006 at 07:23 PM. Reason: If you are responding to the last poster, please do not quote the post.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #28
Inactive
(female)

sherry1979 HB User
Unhappy Re: Charite Disc Replacement

[QUOTE=tgpeters]GREAT NEWS !!!!

We have been approved for Charite Disc Replacement !!! Have a pre surgical eval thursday then find out what date surgery is. Will keep everyone updated !!! [/QUOTE]

hi
so what type of health insurance do you have? i am looking into getting this surgery too..what is the problem with your back?? [[COLOR="SandyBrown"]Removed[/COLOR]]

Last edited by HBMod07; 07-20-2006 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Pleae do not post personal contact information it is against the rules

Old 07-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #29
(female)

rfarley HB User
Exclamation Re: Charite Disc Replacement

I'm very happy for you that according to one of your last posts TRICARE approved the Chardite disc replacement. Can you ask your doctor what Procedure code he used as well as Dx code, when he submitted your referal to TRICARE? My Spinal surgeons office has been trying to find the proper code and of course TRICARE won't even tell the doctor because, and I quote " they have been trained and should know tha proper code" Tricare is so difficult to deal with sometimes but I am grateful to have it, just the same.
If you can help myself as well as others I know we'd all be so much happier,
Thank you for your time,
rfarley

Last edited by moderator2; 07-27-2006 at 11:23 AM. Reason: posted contact info against the posting rules

Old 07-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #30
(male)

IUfan HB User

Hi TG,
I'm 16 mos post ADR @ L4-5 and L5-S1. I was lucky enough to be approved, and I say that tongue-n-cheek as my experience has been less than my hopes. I work in auto manufacturing and I was able to return full-time after about 10 weeks. Having dual level is, as I have learned, a much greater risk for complications than single level. I have read a few testimonials at another site from those who have had ADR with the newer Prodisc implant. One in particular was a guy from the US who went to Europe and had three levels with the Prodisc and is doing excellent. My experience was that I had facet joint tears at both levels and the drawback to Charite implants is that they put additional pressure on the facet joints of the discs they replace. The facet joints are the boney winglike structures at the back of the vertebrae.
I have been unable to work since the beginning of Jan this year and have been through pain management treatments with no good result. Another downside to implants is there is no good salvage operation for failures, because of the scar tissue. ADR anteriorly is the only way this surgery can be done. I am not aware of any that are even considered to be done from the back because of the nerve structures.
I am facing the prospect of another surgery (see post - "Dynesys"). I remain cautiously optimistic about it and need to make my decision in the next 6 weeks. For your husband I can only say that the testimonials that I have read where there was only single level ADR are very promising indeed. The caveat is that everyone is different and you need to investigate investigate and investigate. Become the most educated patient and support advocate you can be before making that decision. I believe the recovery time is the same for single as for dual, at least 8 weeks. Don't be afraid to ask some very invasive questions of the surgeon, ie where did he/she get their training, how much experience do they have and how much knowledge they have for addressing post-op complications. I have much faith in my Surgeon even though I am aware he is still on a learning curve post-op. Most all Spine Surgeons here in the USA are as the procedure is relatively new to them.
I wish you the very best of luck in this quest.

Charlie

Closed Thread