It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

bluechandelier HB User
Spondylolisthesis & Hard Lump On Spine

I recently started experiencing lower back pain and noticed a hard golf ball size lump on my lower spine. The dr ordered a lumbar spine xray I was diagnosed with Spondylolysis and Grade I Spondylolthesis. The x-ray report did not mention anything about the lump and the dr said the lump appears to be in the same region as the spondylolthesis (L5 over S1). I was wondering if anyone else has also had a lump that has spondylolthesis and if so, what did the lump turn out to be. I don't think my mind will be at ease until I know what the lump is . I want to request additional testing such as a CT scan. This may be unrelated but I also have reactive lymph nodes in my neck that popped up about 2 months ago and have not gone away. I am 32 years old and otherwise heatly. I am very concerned about the lump on my back. It is so large that when I bend over slightly, it can be seen by the naked eye. I have not been able to find any information regarding protruding lumps as a result of spondylolthesis and I am concerned that perhaps the lump occured first and caused the fracture and slippage in my vertabrae. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by bluechandelier; 06-14-2006 at 08:18 PM. Reason: To correct spelling.

The following user gives a hug of support to bluechandelier:
RA living (03-09-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to bluechandelier For This Useful Post:
laechim (03-17-2012)
Old 06-15-2006, 01:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User
Re: Spondylolthesis & Hard Lump On Spine

Hi......do not know if this info will help but here goes....I have
the same dx as you along with spinal stenosis. I have had a huge lump in my spine and you can see it and feel it especially when you bend over. Kaiser did a CAT scan for the dx and nothing was mentioned regarding the lump and I have never really thought about it. I have osteo arthritis through out my body....hands, fingers, spine, toes, and most of all of the hips...I am having hip resurfacing surgery August 29. I really would not worry about the lump, other than it is unattractive. I am no doc but am assured if something was not right, the doc or radiologist would have said something in his report......Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
(female)

bluechandelier HB User

Thank you for your response, Legally Blondied. Is the lump on your back sore? Mine is very tender to the touch and seems to be getting progressively larger in the past couple weeks. It does make me feel a little better to know that someone else has the same type of suspiscious lump. Maybe it is just a bone spur or something?? Well, thank you your reply and the best of luck to you and your back. I just got diagnosed on Monday, so I am still in the shock stages. From what I've been reading, it doesn't sound like much fun ahead.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

hi--
I just read your post and found it interesting that was the first mention of a lump on the spine since I've been reading this board. I also have gr. 1 spondy (L4 over L5) and have a hard lump in my lower back. It feels like one of my vertebra is gotten bigger and thicker than the others. No mention was made and when I mentioned to my doctor I could feel my vertebra moving and one felt bigger and thicker like it had a lump, it was all just taken as "yep that's part of the condition" so maybe it's scar tissue? I had an MRI done and nothing was mentioned on the MRI, so I'm not too concerned at this point. Do you know if you have a pars defect also? I believe that's the same as spondylolisis, and means part of the vertebra is fractured. I wonder if that could cause a thickening or lump?
However, mine isn't tender and isn't getting larger so it could be entirely different from what you have.
Best to check with your doctor, and I know what you mean about getting over the shock. Just listen to your body and try to be positive. Good luck to you.
stephanie

The Following User Says Thank You to backslide05 For This Useful Post:
laechim (03-17-2012)
Old 06-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Spondylolthesis & Hard Lump On Spine

Does it ever get smaller or is it always the same? I often get a large lump just slightly off the spine and it d*****ely hurts with any amount of touch. (I also have spondy. grade1 and spinal stenosis.) I did not believe my Dr. when he first Dx. it as muscle inflamation...but that seems to be the case. It never completly goes away...but the more I move (basic moving around each day) the bigger it gets. If that is the case, you can adjust your daily lifestyle and take anti-inflamatories. Just a thought, I hope you find out what it is.

Lorie

Old 06-15-2006, 11:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

The lump I have has been there for ever and i remember when I would be doing floor work in dance class, being on that lump would kill me! Mine is just bone.....it does not hurt or grow it just sits there and looks like a huge bump of bone in the spine......Karen

Old 06-16-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
(female)

bluechandelier HB User

Thanks Stephanie (Blackslide05) for sharing your thoughts on my lump. It is good to know that I'm not the only one w/ a lump. I couldn't understand why the lump in the spine was never mentioned in all the research I've don't online re: spondy. I do have pars defecs (bilaterally at L5). I also have degenerative disk changes at L4-5 and L5-S1 and straightening of my lumbar lordotic curvature. I think I will still try to push for a CT scan or something because it sounds like most people w/ spondy have had some sort of test in addition to an x-ray. I would also be interested in knowing what people's experience has been w/ pain. My back has been in constant pain for about 3 weeks now. I have extreme tightness and aching from my mid to lower back. Sitting helps, but only if I'm sitting on a soft surface w/ pillows. I'm having trouble sleeping from the pain and am completely drained. What type of medications, if any do you take? I only naprosen and that was actually perscribed for my migraines and not my back but the dr said it may help. It doesn't, seem to help though. Thanks you again, Stephanie

Old 06-16-2006, 07:32 AM   #8
(female)

bluechandelier HB User

[QUOTE=lfoster21]Does it ever get smaller or is it always the same? I often get a large lump just slightly off the spine and it d*****ely hurts with any amount of touch. (I also have spondy. grade1 and spinal stenosis.) I did not believe my Dr. when he first Dx. it as muscle inflamation...but that seems to be the case. It never completly goes away...but the more I move (basic moving around each day) the bigger it gets. If that is the case, you can adjust your daily lifestyle and take anti-inflamatories. Just a thought, I hope you find out what it is.

Lorie [/QUOTE]
Hi Lorie, No the lump never getts smaller, but I could swear it feels like it's getting bigger. I just always feel like I have something in my back since it appeared. Like a foreign object is in my spine. It's awful. The lump is right on my spine and is round and it seems like some of it goes to the left a little more but it is in the center. It's very hard so I don't think it's muscle. I wonder if it's a bone spur? I guess it would be nice if my doctor could tell me if it's bone or cartilage or what. I did ask if it would get bigger and she said "it could". Well, thank you for your reply Kelly

Old 06-16-2006, 07:34 AM   #9
(female)

bluechandelier HB User

[QUOTE=legallyblondied]The lump I have has been there for ever and i remember when I would be doing floor work in dance class, being on that lump would kill me! Mine is just bone.....it does not hurt or grow it just sits there and looks like a huge bump of bone in the spine......Karen[/QUOTE]
Wow Karen, good to hear you can still do something like dance with this condition. I was prepared for a danceless future!! I can barely go shopping without having to sit down every 20 minutes. I am curious, did your lower back lose any of it's natural curvature? Mine has los a lot and always appears swollen. Ice helps, but it goes right back to it's swollen state by the end of the day. Kelly

Last edited by bluechandelier; 06-16-2006 at 07:37 AM. Reason: mispelling

Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Blue,
I have been in pretty much constant pain for about a year and a half now.
The pain level goes up and down but pretty much a good day would be a "2" on the pain scale. I don't want to start serious pain meds so stay with ibuprophen and use different rub-on pain ointments which seem to help a little. Ice is also my friend but not something you can't have with you always. Also I take aloe vera capsules, and glucosamine condroiten capsules which are good for the joints and no side effects like meds. Even the doctor agreed with that.

Luckily so far, sleeping has been ok unless I'm having spasms, but I feel better lying down than in any other position. Sitting is hard for me, and so is standing which makes sense since the pressure is on the lower back then.
We have similar diagnoses, mine is one level above yours, with pars defect at L4 (bilateral) and also degerative facet joints.

I think movement is good for keeping the stiffness at bay, but be careful what you do. I tried an exercise bike and that was a big huge mistake, since I was in the worse pain ever for a week. Stretching, and walking are what I do, every day and the more I do the better I feel.
I notice you're in California, which is great -we have the weather here where we can get outside almost daily.

Keep looking for bright spots, and I would suggest an MRI just so you have a baseline and some information for yourself. I think it helps to be informed and then listen to what your body wants and be Very Careful about every move you make.
Take care,
stephanie

Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Kelly, the pain that I have had because of arthritis in the spine and the lumbar lordosis radiated down the side of my legs like a pulling sensation and also in the lower back area. I often felt that i could not stand up straight and everytime i went to the chiro my hips were always out alignment. Now mind you, I am 61 and have danced all of my life and you would think that i would know innately to use the right muscles...not true and the chiro did me a disservice by not showing me exercises to keep them in line. I have lumbar lordosis and an anterior pelvic tilt which, after many years has
caused so much stress on my hip joints, that my right hip will
have a surface replacement done August 29. A physical
therapist showed me what was wrong and how I could correct my pulling in the legs and the back pain but it was
too late for the damage done to the hip. You need to find someone who knows muscles and see if you can work with
hi. I have had to stretch, not strengthen the psoas msucle and it has been 2 years and I am still doing the stretches.
Have no pain in back or down the legs and never feel like i have to sit down!!!!!!! We seem to forget that our back
supported by muscle groups that can get jacked around very easily....anyway lump and all I am pain free unfortunately the twisted pelvis caused damage to my hip that only surgery can repair. Karen

Old 07-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
(female)

kate5555 HB User

[QUOTE=legallyblondied;2411531]The lump I have has been there for ever and i remember when I would be doing floor work in dance class, being on that lump would kill me! Mine is just bone.....it does not hurt or grow it just sits there and looks like a huge bump of bone in the spine......Karen[/QUOTE]

Can you tell us more about what your doctors have said about the lump?
Also what is the prognosis for the lordosis?
I have the same problems. Thanks.....Kate

Closed Thread