It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
(female)

Jennifer8828 HB User
Right Leg Pain - Post Lumbar Fusion

Hi guys! I'm doing pretty well since my fusion on June 19th accept for my right leg pain, it's not a pins and needles it's more of an "ache" that doesn't go away and I notice it especially at night when I'm trying to sleep. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this before after a fusion? I also have problems straightening the right leg to, I feel like all my muscles are tight and don't want to stretch. As for the left leg pain free with no problems. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
(female)

sheri42 HB User
Re: Right Leg Pain - Post Lumbar Fusion

Hello,
I had left leg pain after my fusion and am 5 months post op. It has gotten a lot better. At first my muscles were so sore for weeks. I stretch several times a day now. At first I couldnt even stand long enough to brush my teeth. My leg would draw up in a charlie horse. At night it felt very very tired, from the muscle working all damn day. It did go away though.
Sheri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Can you do your home exercises to help stretch that out some? I had swelling issues post surgery which greatly interfered with my home exercises, but stretching will reall help you with that.

I would bring this up with your doctor. Hang in there.. it gets better with time. Tammy

Old 07-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
(male)

proboy74 HB User

The aching might be nerves. After my fusion my left leg was uncomfortable for a while because the nerve that was being pinched off was starting to wake-up as my surgeon put it. Stretching is very important. I had a lot of problems stretching out my hamstrings after surgery and my pt place was concerned because the lower back and hamstring tightness are not a good combo because it pulls the pelvis causing back pain.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
(female)

lookin4somehelp HB User

I am glad to hear that half of you is doing well! As far as the pain in your right leg, I do hear that stretching will become one of your best friends! Did you have the right leg pain prior to your surgery? And if so, is it worse or better then before surgery? Was the previous pain pins and needles and now it is achy? Just trying to get a handle on what I might expect after the surgery as mine is in a couple of weeks! But, definitely focus on that easy stretching...it will probably help with the tense feelings you are having! Sorry if this is not much help...

Best Wishes!

Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
(female)

Jennifer8828 HB User

Thanks guys! The pain I have in the right leg now is different from my pre-surgery pain. It's more of a muscle issue like my hamstrings are tight and it's hard to stretch the full leg completely. I'm going to see my surgeon today and hopefully he will have some input on what's going on. I will be back to let you know what he says. Thanks guys!!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
(female)

cancerhead HB User

[QUOTE=Jennifer8828]Hi guys! I'm doing pretty well since my fusion on June 19th accept for my right leg pain, it's not a pins and needles it's more of an "ache" that doesn't go away and I notice it especially at night when I'm trying to sleep. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this before after a fusion? I also have problems straightening the right leg to, I feel like all my muscles are tight and don't want to stretch. As for the left leg pain free with no problems. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Jen[/QUOTE]
Hi Jen,
I had my lumbar 2 level fusion june 22. I dont have pain but I do feel that my right leg is a bit soar as if I have been working out for a long time. I try not to pay too much attention to it because the Doc said its normal and will eventually go away. Besides, I dont want to worry myself.
I hope your ache goes away soon too.

regards,
CH

Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
(female)

Pegwolf HB User

Hi Jen,
I had my back fusion L-5, S-1 in 2005, I am still having issues with the leg aches, this happens mostly at night and I have to get up out of bed several times a night, I also have the pins and needles continuous all the time. The Doctor's say it should go away, but it hasn't. Have you had any positive reactions since your last post. Thanks for everyone's time. Peg

Old 05-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
(female)

helenlegs11 HB User

Hi there,
There might be another issue other than disc/spine. Check out piriformis syndrome. It can cause sciatica,the same as protruding discs can so even if your back problems are solved fully or partially by an opperation. Sciatic (leg) pain can still exist if the piriformis muscle is tight or spasmed.You Tube the syndrome or google it, but don't expect Doctor's to have a great deal of insite to the condition. Physiotherapist's however, can locate a tender, knotted piriformis and often treat the problem.
Helen.

Closed Thread