It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

Katina128 HB User
Stomach pain from NSAIDs, what should I take instead?

I'm having tummy troubles from the NSAIDs. I have taken them for over a year now and I'm starting to have lots of pain from them. I took 3 advil this morning, trying to save the Vicodin for when I might need it worse, and I was doubled over in pain as soon as the liqui-gels dissolved. I had to take Pepto to get relief from the pain. My dr's nurse told me to take Tylenol (hahaha, yeah like that is going to help). What else can I take that won't hurt my tummy? Am I left with only the prescription drugs now? I am afraid to take anything else now because my tummy still hurts from this morning.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: Stomach pain from NSAIDs, what should I take instead?

hi katina,
boy can I sympathize with you and relate big time. I was popping advils and ended up with gastroenteritis and reflux plus bleeding internal hemorrhoids
Now i'm posting on the GERD boards as well as here. NSAIDS are deadly to your stomach lining although not everyone seems to be susceptible.
I know what your saying, when you're in pain and what to take?? I just use ice and something called Traumeel, that I found at *****s (health food store).
seems to help a bit. Nothing will work 100% for most of us with bad backs, cuz the pain is there for a reason!!
I'm sorry about your stomach problem and wish I could offer you something better but try the Traumeel and maybe some of the other creams or ointments that have pain relievers in them...Bad enough with the bad backs, we don't need to have our stomachs messed up too
good luck and hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User

I can't take the nsaids any longer - after so long on them, my body reacted. Stomach pains can mean bleeding is occurring. My reaction was with naproxen, and now I can't take any anti-inflammatories at all.

Make sure you drink plenty of water with whatever you are taking and you probably should go back to the vicodin and ask for more if you need it. There are other alternatives to nsaids too - ask your doc. good luck to you - I've been there and it's no fun.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Unfortuately there is no one right answer to your issue. I too have issues with NSAIDS and naproxyn tore me up. The only one that I can take that does not tear up my gastro is Celebrex and it works very well for me. I was on the "others" in the celecoxib line until they were taken off the market.

You should follow up with your family doctor and explain what's going on and see what he/she recommends, such as chasing the NSAIDS with an antacid, etc.

You dont need a bleeding ulcer and it sounds like you may be overdoing it.

I wish you well. Take care and I hope your tummy issues get under control right away.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
(female)

Katina128 HB User

Thanks for your help and advice. I'm still not back to normal feeling, but better at least. I will speak to the NS on monday about what to do. My family dr isn't prescribing for me, just the NS right now. I do take Celebrex once a day, and will make sure I drink a big glass of milk before I take it tonight. I don't want to go through that pain again.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
(male)

webdude HB User

I take muscle relaxers and percocet when my back acts up.. Not sure if percocets are bad for the stomach, but when combined with valium, they sure seem to help.. Ice is the best anti inflammatory, as long as the inflammation isnt too deep...

I tried traumeel and cant tell if it works or not, but it cant hurt as it is homeopathic... Hard to find though... Try searching online..

Mo

Old 07-15-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
(female)

Katina128 HB User

The narcotics just make me sooooo incredibly tired. I'm so tired tonight and all day today really, that I could just curl up and sleep for days it feels like. I'll have to look for the traumeel. Thanks for the info on that.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:20 AM   #8
(female)

Susiebird HB User

My surgeon prescribed Relafin before surgery, it was much easier on my stomach than the naprosyn my GP had prescibed.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
(female)

Katina128 HB User

I've never heard of that one. I'll have to google it. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi,
Please forgive me if I missed something in the thread but I'm just wondering if you are a recent fusion patient and if you are aware of the 'controversy' over taking any NSAIDs during the post-op time when a fusion is trying to grow? If not, I really don't have much to add. I nearly cried when they took my Bextra and Celebrex away from me before my first surgery but they were killing my guts. Now, my new surgeon forbids me to take so much as an Advil for 12 months during my recovery from a second attempt to fuse L4-5. Just thought I'd lob that one onto the court. Best of luck- Suzy-Q

Old 07-16-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
(female)

Katina128 HB User

No, I'm not a fusion patient. I had a micro discectomy/laminectomy one year ago. But nothing since then. My NS has me on the celebrex for inflammation. Thanks for the info though. I didn't know about NSAID's and fusion. Good to know.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:47 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

ala3 HB User

Hi, I also had terrible stomach pain from NSAIDS. My doctor told me to try Prilosec OTC. It helped. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
(female)

Katina128 HB User

Thanks, I'll pick some up. I've been avoiding everything except the Celebrex and I take it 1x daily. I'm definitely more stiff and sore than I want to be.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:12 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Milk is one of the worst things you can do if you are having stomache pains from Nsaids, it is only an old wives tale that it helps.
If you are on NSaids the best thing to do is talk to your doctor and be placed on preventative medication such as Nexium or any other GERD Medication. Untreated, acid reflux can cause cancer. Over the counter medications are not as effective.

I have been on anti-imflamatories for over 30 years and must take a prescription medication each night to help control the heartburn and stomache pain. I've had several ulcers as a result when young. The damage that these types of medications do is tremendous. They can also cause gastro bleeds in some individuals. You definately need to let your doctor know.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #15
(female)

Katina128 HB User

I think my mistake was not having enough in my tummy when I took the advil. I took some alleve earlier and it didn't hurt me.

Closed Thread