It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User
anyone Artificial Charite disc complications

I had my ADR in july 2005 for back pain. Positive discgram showed a tear at l4-l5. A year later I am experiencing increased back pain with pain shooting down both sides of my buttocks and into my legs. My pain was mainly in my back before the surgery.

I had another mri to find out if I had other problems going on in my back but it was negative.

My back feels very unstable and after sitting for a while, when i get up i can't straighten my spine up because of the pain and stiffness. i can't sit for long or stand. My pain has increased so much and the nerve pain is the worst. I can't help but believe that the information they left out in the FDA study with the charite ADR is true regarding only 57% success rate. Doctors are now saying that the disc should be recalled and talking about lawsuits. I just want to be out of pain. Of course, removal of the disc is life threatening because of the way it was built. that info was left out as well. Now I fear losing my job because of the debilitating pain.

I hope to hear from you or others who might have had complications due to the charite disc. My mri report shows a healthy back yet i have horrible pain. jayboy

Old 08-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Dave/anyone Artificial Charite disc complications

Jayboy,

I am not familiar with the charite ADR,but I had the ray threaded cages 7 years ago.I'm still in consistant and chronic pain.Are your ADR metal and if so why didn't your DR do a mylogram,to see around the implants.My impants were recalled,They tried to remove them and now I'm stuck with rods to stablelize my spine.I can relate to the pain your in.Was your surgery antierior or posterior.If it was posterior there are several nerves that get disbured and it can take a few years to relax.It don't seem fair when surgery is needed and your worse afterwards.I do think the FDA needs stricter rules when coming to these implants ,the case studies aren't always long enough.My failed 2 surgerys put me on disability.Try to be positive.Have you tried any lite physical therapy to strengthen(sp) that area.I wish I had more to offer you.

Toni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
Re: anyone Artificial Charite disc complications

Hey ! Hope your are doing better! Go over to back problems board and there are several posts about the Charite -God Bless!
Michelle

Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
(male)

meangene HB User

Yes. Jayboy, I have many symptoms as you do! My surgery was January 2005, I was in the first 100 recipients of charite disc

Last edited by meangene; 04-22-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
(female)

Jerree4 HB User
Unhappy Re: anyone Artificial Charite disc complications

PLEASE TELL ME YOU DIDN'T DO IT!!

I'm a female in my forties that received a Charite' implant a few years ago. I have suffered through 5 hospital stays and numerous ER visits over the past three years. I have spent a total of 48 days in the hospital; some of these in the ICU where I lost almost 1000mL of blood upon removal when a major vein was severed. I have had the implant put in. I was fused. I had the implant taken out. I am on a hefty amount of narcotics just to be able to get out of bed. My pain is exponentially higher than it was before electing to get the implant from my ill advised doctor. My life has been ruined. I cannot work. Most days I cannot even get out of bed or do so late in th afternoon. I suffer from mid back, lower back, hip, flank, leg, perineal, clitoral, bladder and rectal numbness, neuralgia and weakness. I cannot urinate freely. I have virtually no peristalsis. I now use a cane. Worst off all, I have no children..... AND, presently, 99.9%probability of never having the capacity to carry one. I have lost my job, my home, my friends, my savings, my hope, my joy of life. My time is spent in a bedroom where I lay in agony most of the time with my two wonderful cats that bring me comfort and support. There are times when I cannot get in the tub for four days at a time, I cannot comb my hair, get dressed, etc. I get out of the house maybe once or twice a month......If I did not have the wonderful husband that I have, I would be spending my time alone, helpless.... Thank God for him.

I'M SURE THIS ENOUGH TO MAKE A DECISION! AND IF I HAVE RECEACHED YOU TOO LATE...GOD BE WITH YOU!

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED?

[QUOTE=jayboy557;2495715]I had my ADR in july 2005 for back pain. Positive discgram showed a tear at l4-l5. A year later I am experiencing increased back pain with pain shooting down both sides of my buttocks and into my legs. My pain was mainly in my back before the surgery.

I had another mri to find out if I had other problems going on in my back but it was negative.

My back feels very unstable and after sitting for a while, when i get up i can't straighten my spine up because of the pain and stiffness. i can't sit for long or stand. My pain has increased so much and the nerve pain is the worst. I can't help but believe that the information they left out in the FDA study with the charite ADR is true regarding only 57% success rate. Doctors are now saying that the disc should be recalled and talking about lawsuits. I just want to be out of pain. Of course, removal of the disc is life threatening because of the way it was built. that info was left out as well. Now I fear losing my job because of the debilitating pain.

I hope to hear from you or others who might have had complications due to the charite disc. My mri report shows a healthy back yet i have horrible pain. jayboy[/QUOTE]

Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
(male)

scott2011 HB User

I had my charite ad put in, in Sept. 2006. I have more pain than I had before the surgery and it's gotten worse over the past few years. I'm in constant pain and have to take high doses of oxycontin and oxycodone just to take the edge off. I've lost everything in my life because of this surgery. My 3,000 sq. ft. home on a lake had to be sold as a short sale because I couldn't afford to make the payment's and I lost a couple hundred thousand in equity, it caused my divorce, has caused my family's business to suffer, severely, from black to red. I've depleted all of my savings and had to move back in with my parents, who live 60 miles from my 2 young boys, which makes it hard to see them near as often as I had. It caused me to have an anxiety disorder, depression, and a list of other issues.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
(male)

tylerjames HB User
Angry Re: anyone Artificial Charite disc complications

[QUOTE=scott2011;4828526]I had my charite ad put in, in Sept. 2006. I have more pain than I had before the surgery and it's gotten worse over the past few years. I'm in constant pain and have to take high doses of oxycontin and oxycodone just to take the edge off. I've lost everything in my life because of this surgery. My 3,000 sq. ft. home on a lake had to be sold as a short sale because I couldn't afford to make the payment's and I lost a couple hundred thousand in equity, it caused my divorce, has caused my family's business to suffer, severely, from black to red. I've depleted all of my savings and had to move back in with my parents, who live 60 miles from my 2 young boys, which makes it hard to see them near as often as I had. It caused me to have an anxiety disorder, depression, and a list of other issues.[/QUOTE]

I had the Charite ADR at L4 S1 the very last disc in your spine it has ruined my life. It was put in September of 2002 I have had 4 additional operations trying to stop the intense pain and stabilize the spine. I
Lost me job where I was highly compensated vp. I only hope to God that they are no longer using this peice of crap. Any doctor that does should loose his license!

Closed Thread