It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
(male)

magne HB User
Disc bulge. how I should plan the future course of exercise and treatment?

Last two days I have a severe lower back pain, which happens only in the early morning. And for the last two weeks I have certain slight pinces going down on the lower thigh and this week below the knee.

Doctor suggested it was a disc bulge which requires a cobra exercise (lying on the stomach and raising up the head with hands on the side) along with a 6 day regimen of Medrol. Question how I should plan the future course of exercise and treatment. Your help very much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: Disc bulge. how I should plan the future course of exercise and treatment?

First off, is this a guess on his/her part or did you have an MRI to determine that you have a bulging disc?

The exercise you speak of is the McKensie exercise that takes pressure off lumbar disk, sort of decompressing them naturally, helping to realign things. If it works for you great!!! Keep it up. There are books on this technique out there. I have them myself. They did not help me at all, as my issues were more pronounced.

If you come off the medrol pack and things get swollen again, you need to be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon to figure out what is going on in there. This does not mean you need surgery or that seeing a surgeon means he/she will want to encourage you to have surgery. Doctors today try and do everything they can to keep patients out of the surgery room and exhaust non-surgical treatments prior to discussing surgery options, unless issues are very severe.

Also, a physical therapist can greatly help you learn proper exercise techniques that will help you.

Welcome to the boards.. and please come back again and let us know how you are doing. Take care. Tammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
(male)

mmusilli HB User

I also recommend some low impact excercises to start and if you are doing any heavy lifting or workouts, stop those if possible.. Stationary bike or eliptical or even walking work best. A good PT will show you proper excercises and then you should do them every day for the rest of your life.. It should only take a few minutes a day to do your routine (stretches, leg lifts, etc).. Then, do your bike or eliptical three times a week...

MM

Old 08-08-2006, 05:39 AM   #4
(male)

magne HB User

Before I write the answers let me thank you all for the support and well wishes.

Here is a brief description of my back condition.

2004 - went to urgent care - because of pain my body had a prounenced slant on the right - had x-ray taken for suspected left schlosis - pain killers - summary certain muscle spasm.

2005 - I had a one week episode of back pain - went to urgent care - pain killers - given a exercise booklet like lying on the back and bringing knees to chest etc - summary certain muscle spasm.

2006 - for the last two months snce june 2006, my getting up in the morning became a hard. After taking a morning walk for 5 mts, the stiffness gradually goes away. over the last two weeks I was having even more stiffness during day time also. hence continued to do the lying on my back exercise once in 3 hrs or so at work also.

- last week thursday morning woke up 03:00 AM with a level 7 pain - walked between room to room pain subsided completely. same episode continued on Friday too. was able to go to work on both days though - on Saturday morning the pain level went to level 8-9. after a 10 mts walk - back pressure goes away - Hence went to urgent care - luckily there was a ortho Dr - went through my old records of 2004/2005 episodes - told xray does not show soft tissues - no left schlosis

- based on my symptoms of early morning pain in the bain - he strongly suspected a disc problem - kind of reluctant to give MEDROL - just with pain killers and McKensie exercise once in 2 hours - I should be better - but said if I want he can put me onto MEDROL. I suggested that I take MEDROL for 6 days. currently as I write to you I am on day 4 of taking MEDROL - carrying with my work - McKensie exercise - got a appt with family physcian so that I can ask for a MRI. Enquired with my insu about allowables for an MRI. no issues. Now trying to get a prescrip for an MRI and a visit to PT/Ortho Dr from my regular Dr. Meanwhile anxiously awaiting how this episode will turn out to be.

Last edited by magne; 08-08-2006 at 05:40 AM.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:00 AM   #5
(female)

chebird HB User

Please let us know what your MRI reveals. Hopefully it will be something that exersizes and time will take care of. 80% plus herniated disks heal on their on as long as there isn't any nerve damage. God bless and please keep us posted.

Last edited by chebird; 09-23-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Closed Thread