It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
Severe leg cramps post surgery

These seem to be my mortal enemy. I have constant leg aches. I can't take aleve or ibuprofen per doc because it might affect fusion. They are making me miserable. Everything else seems to be going so well-this isn't nerve pain but just plain muscle ache. Any suggestions? I take ambien every night just to knock me out enought to sleep 5-6 hours but after that its back to the aching. The docs office said just give it time. Easy for them to say!!
Help! Thanks and blessings!
Michelle

Old 08-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
(female)

BobiM HB User
Re: Severe leg cramps post surgery

Ask your doctor for Flexeril. It's for muscle spasms and it always made me tired.

Bobi

Last edited by Administrator; 03-17-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi Michelle-
I'm with Bobi - ask for a review of your meds. Something isn't right if your pain meds aren't helping this. I'd be thinking muscle relaxers and if that isn't it and everyone is sure it isn't nerve pain (my nerve pain started with aches in my feet and Neurontin has helped me tremendously at a very low dose, too), I'd be asking if your pain meds should be increased.
Finally, I'll ask this silly question: are you over doing things? My leg muscles are very weak. I walk a ton but I do it at a pace that keeps me comfortable. If I do stairs, I quickly get the ache that comes with lactic acid build-up. I could cry when I think back just a few years ago and how it took 20 minutes on the treadmill and a steep incline to get that sort of ache in my legs and now a flight of stairs will do it! Oh well. Glory days, eh?
Just a thought. Pay attention to your pain and get on the horn to your docs and let them know there is a problem that needs solving. Constant pain is not acceptable, in my opinionated opinion, and certainly not until all options have been considered, tested, and rejected.
I do hope you find some relief and real soon. Suzy-Q

Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

I talked to them this morning and they were moving me off of Valium back to Skelaxin. I am taking it the full four times a day and also bought a tube of Biofreeze to massage into the calf areas where it hurts so bad. They weren't wanting to give me much of anything else and said it would just take time. I start PT next week and hope the folks there can give me some stretching stuff to do.
And yes...I tend to overdue it and God is truely testing me in the area of patience and resting in Him. I have started screening phone calls because work calls twice a day with "just one little question" that puts me into an hour of work. My very wise husband said "Babe, its not the calls you make-its the calls you take!" He's right! My number one priority is healing-number two is taking care of the ones who love me most!
Blessings!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hey Michelle. Im 16 weeks post l4/l5 fusion. Had the horrible leg cramps myself and mostly when sleeping.

I was told by an alchemist (stumbled on to this guy by calling some pharmacies to see what people had over the counter to help, I was hurting so bad). He told me that after enduring what we have for so long,meds, pain, surgery.. it depletes the body of important calcium in the body.

He told me that while I am waiting to call the doctor, if I did anything.. go get a good calcium/magnesium supplement. I did that day and that night.. I slept so much better! I have had only a few cramps since then. and before... it was constant.

I am not into the vitamin scene, but I have had great success with it to date.

You truly will start feeling better and better. It just takes time. Take care. Tammy

Closed Thread