It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User
14 days post op, L4L5 fusion report & tips

Hello everybody! I am getting better because people before me here said I would, and they were right! Here are some things I have learned.
The first week after surgery will be the roughest and longest.
After that short time of paying dues, each day will be a little bit better than yesterday. The Spasms I had after surgery, lasted about 10 days, they are gone as friends here said they would. As long as I take my meds at the same time every day, I can plan on walking and setting when the dose is most active. When the dose runs out, I am waiting for the clock to dose up again, but in an inactive mode when taking meds. Try to be active when meds can help you. I am walking outdoors now for 10 slow minutes a day. I have learned that when spasms hit, reverse the motion that caused it and relax, if it takes you 5 minutes to get out of bed, take the time to do it right. The spasms were caused by me, moving to fast, or laying in the wrong position that caused it. I have learned to rotate sides when I sleep so each night is a different side so I heal evenly. I have learned to do my few exercises in bed whenever I can, and just before I get up. I have learned to pull on the sides of my under shorts to help me roll or scoot to inch over if I need to, it works. And do not set more than 30 minutes. I am working on getting the swelling in my lower legs to go away now, and each day they are better as days go by. As I look back thinking, I had all the bases covered before surgery, I see now that I did not as far as recovery goes. I can say, that each day that goes by after surgery, things do get better, although slowly, so donít push it, let it pass on by. Sorry to bore you all, but things are looking up for me. CGD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User
Re: 14 days post op, L4L5 fusion report & tips

Hail CGD!
By Godfrey, you are wise beyond saying. Slow and steady wins the race. I am glad things are getting a little better each day. Baby steps.
Maybe for you this comes naturally. Not so for me. I am having to act very much in a foreign mode but I am doing it - this time around. I ask myself every morning upon waking: what are you going to do today, Suzy-Q? And I repeat my mantra, "Whatever my recovery requires of me." If I am in pain I will rest and pay attention to my pain and report it to my doc if it is unusual. If I am able to I will walk slowly and deliberatly so I don't slip or fall or pull a muscle. I will rest. I will take my meds and wear my brace. And so on. I say all this as I slowly begin my stretches and a thorough assessment of my body and its status. I promise myself that I will not allow events or people to distract me from the crucial work of recovery.
And by gad, it works. I have a very flexible feeling and I find I am already able to think in a way that just allows me to feel free from the internal pressures that used to tell me what I had to accomplish each day. Now, my back isn't my problem. Now, my recovery is my work. My back, a healthy back, is my reward!
I tip my hat to you and I wish you all the very best. Speaking of backs - mine wants me to go to bed! Suzy-Q

Old 08-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

Thank you for wisdom-listening to our bodies will be the best way to heal! I have ovverdone it twice and felt like brick fell on me the next day. My husband asked what I was doing tomorrow and I said "nothing". I will take my half mile walk when my daughter goes to school, rest and read,watch Gilmore Girls with her when she gets home and make a light dinner for the three of us. No running around-no working-no shopping-NO STRESS. I am praising God for your recovery CGD-I have told my docs office about this board and they asked me to email them a link since you have all helped me so much!
Michelle

Old 08-10-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

its amazing how fast you learn to listen to your body after a back surgery

one thing though.. at some point you will feel pretty good, especially after the meds get your pain under control. but thats not a license to bent, lift and twist and such! your back doesnt start fusing till a couple months have gone by, and even then will take many more months to solidify. so just keep obeying what your doc told you and dont cheat! I have and ouch, you will know it after

as youve noticed the worse is over, now its time to settle in for the long haul.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User

I hear you Zeroman, I know how to take it slow, I am past the bounce back age. In fact, I am repeating myself when I tell stories. There is no chance of me overdoing or cheating. And when my meds get it under controll, I am sleepy and napping. My only fear is wondering if the spasms I went through did any damage to the hardware, or change the location of the bone spacers used to fill in the gaps. After the surgery, my surgeon told my family that it wll be close to a year before he would let me ice skate again. I can wait.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

Isn't it wonderful to think that you will be skating again. I was shocked when my daughter's dr let her go to an indoor rink and ice skate at six months post op. She loved skating and went a few time this past winter. Take it nice and slow and that skating day will come before you know it. cas

Old 08-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hey CGD,
Your way ahead of where I was after my first fusion, your doing GREAT!!! It's so good to hear your moving in the right direction. Now don't worry should you suffer a small set back here and there, it is quite normal for you body to pause, kinda so your mind can catch up I guess. I have went backwards a few times, allow your self to do that. Thats your body saying hey I need extra TLC right now, give in to the few days of catch up and you'll be sailing full steam ahead again in no time.

Well enough of that, enjoy you new found knowledge, it is truely great when we realize we figured out how to do that one crazy thing we have tried a MILLION times to do and couldn't.

Keep it UP !!!

God Bless

Carol

Old 08-11-2006, 02:50 AM   #8
(male)

ohsotired HB User

Hi there , I'm ohsotired, I have yet to have the surgery. Infact I'm going for my second mri the end of the mnth. Have been diagnosed with L-4 L-5 herniated discs, Spinal Stenosis [lumbar] and a few other choice probs. Enough about me, how did you talk yourself into the surgery? I'm scared to death of the thought of someone opening up my back. I' know the pain can be unbariable at times but if I sit, or bend or just change my position it goes away for a little while. I, know that's noway to live but if the doc's screwup I will be in worst shape. Any input?:

Old 08-11-2006, 03:28 AM   #9
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User

Good morning ohsotired, well I put it off way to long, yes I had herniations at L4-L5 and S1, now all fused together. I put it off so long that I let it choke me down from not being able to run, then walk, and then work. I knew I was way past what the chiropractor could do for me, as I gave him 12 years of chances, and he did help in all other kinks and snags, but it got to the point that he couldnít touch my lower back at all. I looked into all of the replacement disc programs here going on in USA, and found that none of them are doing double disc replacements yet, and time was running out with out having worked in 10 months, and my COBRA insurance running out. My Dr. made no promises of a total fix, only the chance and opportunity for my spine to stop the course it was going, and provide a window for it to heal it's self back over time. Believe me, I wrestled with the decision, and in each day that I pondered the decision before surgery, my legs and feet would talk to me through pain, so I made the decision to go through with it. Moreover, if I did not get any positive results, at least, I would have something to take to the disability showdown in court. Besides, I only have about 25 years left in this frame, and it was not getting any better. I had gone through physical therapy, the steroid shots, and jumped through all the hoops I could find, and someone said the surgery was the last option, when I think back 9 years ago, I think surgery should have been the first thing I should have done. However, that is all behind me now and I cannot look backwards, only forwards. I can say 16 days post op now that almost all of the leg pains are gone, my feet are still numb, and only surgery pain is left, and pain from re using old mussels back into shape is what I am dealing with now. In addition, each day is getting better. You have to decide just as everyone else did and will do. If you can wait for the replacement disc, I would try that, but I could not wait, I spent all my time wrecking myself.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:42 AM   #10
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User

also to add here, I too would set down, or lay down and the pain would go away, I thought. As long as I did nothing, I felt no pain, but I couldn't make any money that way, and when I did want to do something, like wanting to go out West hunting in the rough wilderness, I could only wish and watch on tv, as others got their dreams met. Anyway, I found a spine specalist that only worked on spines, and that repaird them after accidents. And because mine was not torn apart from an accedent, it should be a walk in the park for him. Any major opperation will hurt while healing, even having wisdom teeth pulled out will bug you for weeks after. Onward and forward now. I wish you well ohsotired.

Closed Thread