It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
What To Expect After Laminectomy?

Hi,

I am scheduled for decompressive laminectomy on Sept 21. due to lumbar stenosis on L3,L4,L5. I am nervous, but also looking forward to <hopefully> at least some pain relief from this. My surgeon did say that many people have good to great pain relief for many years, but also mentioned that about 20% do not. So I'm praying I'm in the percentage that will have good relief. For anyone that's had this procedure, what can I expect after surgery? Was pain unbearable? Was there alot of nerve pain? Were you able to walk normal again? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
(male)

perryjp20 HB User
Re: What To Expect After Laminectomy?

[B]I'm wondering the same thing myself...mine is a week from today...and I'm scared to death!...although I'm a BIG baby...i also was wondering if it's OK to bring your own pain meds with you? I'm afraid I'm not going to get enough while I'm there...tia![/B][QUOTE=Baybreeze]Hi,

I am scheduled for decompressive laminectomy on Sept 21. due to lumbar stenosis on L3,L4,L5. I am nervous, but also looking forward to <hopefully> at least some pain relief from this. My surgeon did say that many people have good to great pain relief for many years, but also mentioned that about 20% do not. So I'm praying I'm in the percentage that will have good relief. For anyone that's had this procedure, what can I expect after surgery? Was pain unbearable? Was there alot of nerve pain? Were you able to walk normal again? Any input would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

Rushtonbear HB User

Hi,I'm suppose get Decompressive surgery too,but did your doctor also have you sign a consent form incase of a spinal fusion?that part worries me,since he told me one thing having me do another,I don't want fusion

Old 09-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
(female)

chebird HB User

I have a dear friend, a 60 plus year-old overweight lady who had a laminectomy 2 years ago. I asked her what her recovery was like, and she said she didn't have one. She went home the next day and has felt great! I know everyone has different experiences and heal differently, but thought I'd pass this on. This woman is also a strong Christian, and has very little fear. (I'm a Christian as well, but still am working on the fear part!) Take care all!

Old 09-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

My now 88 year old grandmother had two laminectomy's done over the last 10 years.. and I tell you that woman has no pain, stands perfectly straight and gets around better than I do right now and I am 44. She is twice my age!! hahaha. If that tells you anything is possible.. hopefully that will ease your minds a bit! You all will do great!!!

Take care. Tammy

Old 09-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I had a Laminectomy in 2003 , It was a painful experience for me compared to my 2nd and 3rd fusion. They cut out a large section of my lower spine
(bone ) that was pressing on my nerves . I did get relief from the surgery but it was a tuff recovery. I could walk fine after I healed from it. (couple weeks)
If you look at my x-rays you can see a big hole in my spine..

Hope I helped ???

Old 09-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your input! I know I will have pain afterwards so I am prepared for that...but it seems from what you all said that I don't have too much to worry about. I've also been going to PT 3 times per week since early March so hopefully that will aid me a great deal in my recovery (plus i'll be going back when my surgeon ok's it again after my surgery).

If you touch your own back, can you kind of feel where the bone is missing?

Im not taking any meds (except plaquenil for lupus) - nothing for pain..so I have no idea if one can bring their own meds to the hospital. My guess is they may not want you to do that as they may want you take something else or different dosages, etc..

For everyone else thats having this surgery soon....I am nervous as heck too and I know I won't sleep at all the day before. But I wish you all an easy recovery!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
(female)

Shorty39 HB User

Baybreeze I don't believe they won't you to bring your own meds from home. If you find that what they give you isn't helping you can tell them that and they can adjust your meds to get good relief. I had a friend that had a hysterectomy and her husband was at the hospital with her and he had some meds that he takes frequently. Some pain meds and stuff I guess. Anyway she was hurting so bad from her surgery that she took one of his and the next thing they knew she was so out of it from the meds the doctors were giving her and then the one that her husband gave her that the doctors took her off of the pain pump the moment that they found out she was given another pill. I think that it was just a muscle relaxer but it just counter acted w/what the doctor and nurses were giving her. They thought she was using and abusing the med. Just a little information about my friends experience about 15 years ago. I'm not sure anything has changed. After all, You are their responsibility as long as your in the hospital and under their care. Please just ask them for something different or stronger if you aren't getting relief from your initial dosage. Thanks and best of luck. Let us know how you get along. And just ask your doctor before surgery if you can it will be okay if he oks it before time. Just ask him and tell him your fears of pain.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
(female)

Rushtonbear HB User

Hi Shawley,
When they scheduled you for this procedure,did they also give you a consent form in case they had to do a fusion?see my doctor told me I needed a decompression no fusion,he said would take small pieces of bone off the nerves.I also got a narrow disc too.I get a consent in mail to allow him to do surgery,but never knew be involving doing a spinal fusion,really shook me up my nerves are bad now,very depressed,very scared,plus they cancelled my surgery.Doctor wasn't nice like he use to be back in 1995 when he did my first.
your discs must be great,you had couple fusions,another tough surgery,the nerve pain you get is it a sciatic after a fusion or burning type pain,trying to see how you do with the meds,they make ya sick don't they?
Thanks

Old 09-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Perryjp20, no they will not let you bring your own pain meds with you. They will be monitoring how much you get and how it does for you. You don't want to inadvertantly overdose because they don't know what you've really taken, and it's better for your doctor to be able to adjust the meds according to your needs. They really don't want you to be in pain. Just make sure you tell them how you're doing. Don't worry! They're there to help you and they take that very seriously. They know what they're doing.

You'll be fine! Good luck, take care, and be sure to check back after your procedure.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:47 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[QUOTE=Rushtonbear]Hi Shawley,
When they scheduled you for this procedure,did they also give you a consent form in case they had to do a fusion?see my doctor told me I needed a decompression no fusion,he said would take small pieces of bone off the nerves.I also got a narrow disc too.I get a consent in mail to allow him to do surgery,but never knew be involving doing a spinal fusion,really shook me up my nerves are bad now,very depressed,very scared,plus they cancelled my surgery.Doctor wasn't nice like he use to be back in 1995 when he did my first.
your discs must be great,you had couple fusions,another tough surgery,the nerve pain you get is it a sciatic after a fusion or burning type pain,trying to see how you do with the meds,they make ya sick don't they?
Thanks[/QUOTE]
Rushtonbear , my Dr. told me he was going to fuse my spine , there was no way around it . ( spondylolisthesis)

My other disc are in great shape. I used to do alot of heavy lifting at my job. For around 15 years did nothing but lift . Wish I could move on with this injury .
Hope your well today

Closed Thread