It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

poisondartfrog HB User
delayed onset sciatica?

I hope I’m not making a mountain out of a molehill, but I hurt my back almost 3 weeks ago and I’m really freaked out and looking for some perspective.

A brief history: I’m 36 and female. About 4 years ago, I had a micro-D at L5/S1 because I endured 3 months of 24/7 sciatica, which was h*ll on earth. Surgery was a success…no more leg pain and a return to all the activities I loved (ice hockey, swimming, weight lifting with modified leg routine) with surgeon’s blessing (although he told me to stay away from stiff legged deadlifts!) Since the surgery, I have had one or two painful episodes of low back pain, but those always responded to conservative treatment and the sciatica never came back.

Three weeks ago, I picked up my cat and felt a pull in my lower back, right side. The entire side tightened up. The pain wasn’t bad, so I figured it was just a matter of working through it. So I did my usual weight routine and cardio and the next day, my low back was hurtin’ but good.

I have made modest progress with conservative treatment…stretching, a little swimming, ibuprofen and muscle relaxers. I can even get through a hockey game. Still, I will never forget the sciatica and every time my back acts up, I cower in terror that it will return. I can’t concentrate on anything and my anxiety goes through the roof.

So, to try to help calm myself down, I made an appointment with a spine surgeon, but he can’t see me until a month (they’re kinda busy!) and will see my regular doc in a few weeks and ask her if she can order an MRI. Meanwhile, I saw an urgent care doc just to get a referral to PT and some more muscle relaxers. Urgent care doc assures me that, if I were to have a bout of sciatica, it would have settled in by now and that the pain is muscular. But I worry. I really, really worry.

Sorry…this is long…here are my questions:

1.Is there such a thing as delayed onset sciatica? If so, how long was it between the initial pain and the sciatica?

2.My back generally feels better if I push stretching…and push through pain. I go very slowly and the urgent care doc said I was doing all the right things, but I don’t want to trigger sciatica. Is it a good idea to push stretching through pain?

3.I haven’t been able to sit the way I usually do since this back pain set in and I have been stretching the heck out of my right side (where the pain is), so maybe that explains the pain I sometimes get along the side of my leg. It’s not a burning, banjo-string-in leg, pins/needles pain…it’s kind of ache that comes and goes. It only freaks me out because sometimes it follows the sciatic nerve path (down to mid-thigh, never below the knee). Is this something I need to worry about?

I hope I'm just being a spaz and that this will respond to conservative treatment, but I did want to see if anyone had any thoughts/ideas to share to help me.

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread