It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User
leg/feet swelling after spine surgery

Hi friends. After my fusion on July 26th, I have had swelling of the feet and calves up to the knee. I am wearing the TED hose, and it doesnít seem to help. When I wake in the mornings, sometimes it is less, but by noon, it is back to a red stiffly tight swell. The Doctor says this is normal after surgery. I have been told here by someone that it would go away eventually. I am not asking for sympathy, just am wondering if anybody else has swelling right now after a recent surgery or with in this past year. And please, no relative reports, I would like current reports, and any information that your Doctors have told you about swelling. Thank you. CGD

Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User
Re: leg/feet swelling after spine surgery

Hi Coast Guard Dad,
You are not alone! I am 5 months out from PLIF with hardware and doing great!! Yes, I did have the swelling of feet and legs after surgery. It is normal. At 3 months out I went to see my brother (a 3 hour drive). Even though I stopped to walk and stretch a little every hour, I thought I was going to die. My feet were swelling so badly that we stopped at a McDonalds and I pulled my shoes off. Big mistake! I culd not get them back on my feet were so swollen. By the time we got home, I had to hobble into the house on my walker. Also, when I went back to work, had the same problem for about a week. It eventually gets better all by itself or at least mine did. Also, elevating my feet and soaking in Epsom Salt helped. At 5 months out, I now have no swelling at all. Hope this helps!
Brenwill

The Following User Says Thank You to janx For This Useful Post:
BABYGIRL WASDIN (06-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
(female)

VAMPGRRL12 HB User

Hi there,

I have the same issue. By afternoon I have alot of swelling in both my feet. It goes away after I elevate them but still a pain. Really waiting for that to go away soon.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

I can totally relate! That is my major issue post surgery. What medications are you on? Many cause swelling. Did you have BMP? I have heard that BMP can cause swelling, and they do not know why.

I had BMP for my lumbar fusion back on 4/18. I also tried Neurontin and Lyrica and had "horrific" swelling. IT was all over my body, but still the worst was in my lower extremeties. Docs assumed allergic reaction to the medication. Thus, I can't take nerve pain meds.

I will have episodice swelling, which is related to the surgery, as I never had it beforehand, yet the doc is puzzled to it's cause. It is not nearly as bad as it used to be. But my left foot is still bigger than my left (obviously, some constant swelling).

I hope it subsides and eventually goes for good! Being swollen like that.. makes everything stiff, ache and hurt.

Hang in there. Tammy

Last edited by Justoneofus; 09-27-2006 at 09:53 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Justoneofus For This Useful Post:
BABYGIRL WASDIN (06-03-2012)
Old 09-27-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User

Hi Tammy, I read about the lymph node system that is in our bodies that travels all over to remove infections and do what they do, is interrupted by surgeries such as ours, causes the system to try to find a new way to link up and remove the fluid that is detoured by the operation. I understand it will go away, and for some, it never does. I read this on "spine universe". I was just wondering how many have had it go away. It seams that most everybody has swelling after surgeries, and it is common.

thanks VAMPGRRL12 and brenwill123 for chipping in, this in not for sissy’s is it.

Last edited by Coast Guard Dad; 09-27-2006 at 10:05 PM.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hey everyone,
I still get swelling in my feet and lower legs, I'm almost 11 months post op, if I dont' get up and move around every few hours I get major swelling.

Tammy, I did not know about the BMP causing swelling. I did knwo about your swelling issues with the neurontin, I figures mine was from the neurotin, but now I wonder what will happen if I ever get off of it.

CGD I sure hope your swelling goes away, it can be a big annoyance. I have searched for ways to stop it from occurring and I really can't find any good answers either. Good Luck

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Closed Thread