It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

RTH HB User
Bone Scan for SI Joint

Hi! I've been ordered a bone scan.

I have horrible, unrelenting lbp on my right side that I guess has not shown up on mri/xray, and blocks/rfl have not helped me enough.

Is this just going to be one more negative test, or can bone irritation really show up on this? I know better than to get excited, but with this much pain, it HAS to show up on something after all these years.

I'm being told I can't even get medicines now b/c my tests don't prove anything. I can barely use my right leg in addition to my back pain b/c it feels completely disconnected. I'm barely functioning.

What will this bone scan do? Do I have a chance? Has anyone had this done, and something actually showed up? Thanks!

Old 10-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
(female)

TERRA157 HB User
Re: Bone Scan for SI Joint

I would ask that the CT scan splices be smaller to be able to show damage to the joints. Otherwise, you're right, they won't see it.

In the meantime, do a search on my name for posts in Sept on a few exercises to do to put the joints back where they belong. They have slipped most likely and getting them back in place will practically instantly relieve the pain. You will probably have some inflammation from the tissue damage, and will be sore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Bone Scan for SI Joint

I don't know all that they do, but if you're having a bone scan, it will show if there is an infection going on.

Good luck, Lorie

Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi and welcome to the board. Sorry you are in such pain . With respect, I have to disagree with Terra. I dont think you should be doing any exercises without your doctor's approval first. We dont know what's going on with you and to offer you to do exercise might worsen your condition right now.

If you are able to exercise at some point, there are some great SI exercises that can offer relief.

The SI joint is a complex and tight joint if you have not seen it. There isn't much between the bones and there are nerves and fibers running between them. If it becomes inflammed.. it can cause all sorts of pain and get referred into the back, into the buttocks and legs and feet. You know.. you are having really bad sciatica it sounds like.

I am guessing the bone scan is looking to see that joint more clearly to see if you have any arthritis in there, bone deterioration, spurs, etc which might try and explain your pain.

Hopefully the test will show them something that will help give you some relief. Dont give up and hang in there.. they seem to be trying to help you. Hang in there. Tammy

Last edited by Justoneofus; 10-06-2006 at 10:12 PM.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
(female)

TERRA157 HB User

[QUOTE=Justoneofus]Hi and welcome to the board. Sorry you are in such pain . With respect, I have to disagree with Terra. I dont think you should be doing any exercises without your doctor's approval first. We dont know what's going on with you and to offer you to do exercise might worsen your condition right now.

If you are able to exercise at some point,[B] there are some great SI exercises that can offer relief. [/B]The SI joint is a complex and tight joint if you have not seen it. There isn't much between the bones and there are nerves and fibers running between them. If it becomes inflammed.. it can cause all sorts of pain and get referred into the back, into the buttocks and legs and feet. You know.. you are having really bad sciatica it sounds like.[/QUOTE]

The exercises I spoke about was a suggestion, not unlike yours above. The ones I described are in fact for relieving SIJ pain, unlike many of those on the web for SI. Considering that most doctors don't have a clue about the SIJ. As well, most therapists treat for low back pain and mess you up even more. I know, this happened with me. 4 doctors, 1 therapist, and nobody had a clue what was going on. And I also had sciatica with SIJD, buttock pain, LBP. Two days after starting the exercises I described, (and no, it didn't hurt any more while I did them) and the LBP went away where the L4-5 herniation was causing the sciatica and the severe LBP.

As for the SI being complex, I disagree, it is really a simple thing actually. You have weak ab muscles and you allow the front of the pelvis to drop when you stand or lean over. This causes you to loose the self-bracing mechanism of the pelvic girdle, the SI joints separate or shift, and you have a major pain in the back.

Closed Thread