It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User
Question Scared about tomorrows appointment

Hi everyone.
I have enjoyed reading all the posts it is comforting to know alot of people are going thru the same thing I am. At first it is easy to thing you are in this by yourself.
To make my long story short. I have had back pain for years and could not seem to get anyone to help. I went from Dr. to Dr over the years and lots of pt. I do exercises faithfully and lost 80 pounds to have worse pain. This time down my leg first the right then the left. I finally found a great neurosurgeon who could not understand the pain in the right leg. He said all the x-rays and MRIs so the pain should be on the left. He did say I have pars defect and a bilateral l5 spondylolysis. He first said he would not offer me surgrey but after a disc injection (previous hernatation) and facett joint injections he started talking surgrey. He suggested we try a rhizotomy first. These injections were the worst thing I had every been thru. No sedation until the Rhizotomy then only 2mg of versed(what ever that is) Did not help at all. I was screaming the Dr. was screaming terrible experience. The facet joint injections helped for about a month and the pain was back in my right buttocks and leg. The rhizotomy did not help much. My pain increased 90% for a while and now has settled down to pain in the right buttocks and leg. I work retail. Manage a store and the holidays are coming up. I can not have surgrey till after the new year to keep my job (which I need my income is the only income husband disabled) I go to the DR tomorrow and am really afraid at what he is going to say. He is very generous with the pain meds Loratab and gave me ambien to sleep (which did not work). I am afraid he will not work with me thru the holidays. Sorry this is so long any suggestions on how to talk to him will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User
Re: Scared about tomorrows appointment

The simple thing to do is not see the doctor, work through the holidays,come back and get fixed. Isnt it depressing to have a job be more important than your health? The longer you compress a nerve that causes pain, the more dammage is left after the surgery. I put surgery off so long, that now after the surgery, my feet are permenently numb and painfull. The rest of my leg and rump pains are gone due to the fusion. I lost my job from being off so long, but I am glad that I had my problems taken care of. You can get by without cable tv, stop the newspaper, drop the cell phones, cut back to the bare ecentials, and you can get by. Your health is more important than any job. You can always get another retail job in any State of this nation, but you only get one body, take care of it. If you make your mind up to get fixed, forget about the job and look to the future of another job and better health, then your fear will be less. Sorry that I couldnt help you much in the way you wanted.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Thanks for your opinion. Without my job I would not have any insurance and would not be able to take care of my husband or daughter. I need this job it is one of the best in my town. My health is very important to me I am sorry I led you to believe it was not. I looked to this board for some help and support but I believe I am in the wrong place

Old 10-05-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User

I didnt mean to upset you, I only gave you my opinion, worth about 2 cents. Listen to your Doctor, I hope he has a plan for you. My wife works two jobs, and we pay for my insurance. She has none, I am not on disabilty yet, our home and life style swings on her being healthy. I hope you get well, but I cant see in the condition you described, that you can keep working to much longer, before you have to give up the job and insurance. I dont know what support we can give you other than get a second opinion with another Doctor. Please let us know what he tells you today.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi Clover and welcome to the forum. You are in the right place. Sorry to see you are in pain and caught between taking care of you and earning a living. Majority of us fall into this category. I was out of work for a year when I first hurt my back and my boyfriend was just starting his own business. It was a struggle to say the least and we used all our savings to survive. Then when that ran out.. I had to find a job and work though the pain. I did this for almost a year, before my surgery. So we understand your delimma, and you have my empathy!

CGD was right in that you can simply avoid going to the doc. The solves your issue immediately, but will obviously also stop your meds from being renewed and you will still be in pain.

CGD was just giving you his honest opinion, telling you what he did to survive when he thought he could not from losing his job. I did not see his comments as negative towards you.

I would carry out going to the doctor and explain your situation. Hopefully you are seeing a caring doctor that LISTENS (those are rare) and will understand and help you get through this season, and then go forward after the holidays. He may not show too much empathy and may show you tons. But you obviously need to work, and ask him to help you through this trying time, then you will comply with what he wants to do after the holidays. Work together for your health. It's a team effort.

I wish you wellness! Make sure you are pulling your tummy tight at all times, when sitting, walking, getting in and out of the car, getting in and out of bed, etc. It will help you stablize your spine and cause you a little less pain when doing those things. Makes a HUGE difference. Tammy

Old 10-05-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I apologize if I came off rude. I certainly did not mean to. I was scared and frustrated. The worst fear is of the unknown. I have tried to do alot of research and that is how I found this page. I again apologize especially to Coast Guard Dad. I was frustrated.

I did see the Dr. today and listened to what he had to say. The Disc is not real bad and the slipage is minimal. The situation may correct itself. I responded very well to the Facett Joint injections and it could be possible that one side of the Rhizotomy was not performed correctly even though the Dr. is suppose to be very good. This Dr. is the only one my Dr. uses to perform the facett joint injections and Rhizotomy's He stated that he would like to try a surgrey to stabilize the spine. The hardware kinda looked like a shock from a car only smaller. It is called Dynesys Dynamic Stabilization System. This could be done at the L-5 level and L-4 level to give me support. Then eventually I will probably need a fusion. He did say that he did not want to rush into this and to take 2-4 weeks to see how I felt and before the surgrey we could possibly try another Rhizotomy first.

He was very understanding to my situation with work and told me that as long as I was able to work (even having to use meds) and be active I should keep on and see what happens. The pars defect is the biggest concern but he feels right now it is stable. This could change at a drop of a dime so no lifting, twisting or pulling. I found the exercising I was doing (from previous physical therapy) was a no-no and could hurt me. So it is be carefully and see what happens next. Thanks for listening I appreciate it and again apologize.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
(female)

Diedre HB User

[I apologize if I came off rude. I certainly did not mean to. I was scared and frustrated. The worst fear is of the unknown. I have tried to do alot of research and that is how I found this page. I again apologize especially to Coast Guard Dad. I was frustrated]

Hi Clover:
I am new to this board as well, and I really do understand your frustration, as well as the fear you are experiencing. Sometimes, especially when the weight of the family is on our shoulder's, it's difficult not to feel stressed, and extra frustration. I am in the same situation. I am a single Mom, with a 14 year old son, just starting High School. Since I was injured on the job, I do receive Worker's Comp., but it is about 1/4 of what I was making monthly. Since I have been out, they terminated me, leaving me with no private insurance, and no coverage for my son. The W/C insurance will cover my Dr.s visits, and some medications for my back, but nothing more. Everything else comes out of my pocket. Not feeling well, being the bread winner and feeling like the weight of the world is all on you, is enough to make you feel alone, isolated and scared stiff. I really do empathize with you. I am happy that the news you received today was better than you expected, and I hope that you can maintain your courageous outlook on life, until after the New Year. I do hope that the Doctor continues to work with you, and I will say a prayer for you. I believe you are very brave, and I give you all the credit in the world, for being able to keep the family, and the medical issues you face, together and intact. Hang in there, you are not alone. Just having a sympathetic ear, and someone that actually relates to the daily struggles you face, can help. Take care and be well.
Diedre

Old 10-06-2006, 03:35 AM   #8
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User
Re: apology accepted Clover60

Apology accepted, all of us hurt here. I, being a guy, am not the smoothest when it comes to comforting anyone, I am a Dad. When my sons need a shoulder to cry on, they see Mom. When they need their cars fixed, they see me.
I feel for you and the burden you carry. But you are not alone, and some things like a debilitating health problem does not care if you have bills to pay and mouths to feed, and payments to make. A time will come when you have to stop and get yourself fixed, even if it cost you everything. I remember a man on here that sold his home to go to Germany to have a Maverick disc installed because he could not wait for it to be approve here in the States. "This too, shall pass" is one of my favorite verses from the Bible.
However, going through temporary obstacles is never fun, but who said life in the U.S.A. is going to be fun everyday? I hope the Doctor can help you see what needs to be done, and I hope a second opinion will confirm the first Doctors plan, or open a new window for you. Get a plan, and follow through, there are brighter days ahead.

Closed Thread