It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

BigMac HB User
Lightbulb Should it be so painful after deep tissue massage?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="6"][/SIZE][/FONT]Help!
My Doctor reccommended we try deep tissue massage to help with some new pain in the mid-back radiating to buttock and down the front of my thigh.
I've had cervical spine surgery three times..........and have some spinal cord damage, spondylosis, myelopathy with spasticity and PAIN............
I had never had a deep tissue massage it targets the tight muscles attempting to work out trigger points and if there is nerve entrapment maybe to 'loosen them up' to help with the pain.................I've had two now and each felt good during the massage......but the next day, I had pain in every muscle from the neck down..................I felt as if I dug a ditch!
I did talk to the massage therapist and she 'went easy' during the second massage.............She also worked around my neck, pecs and trapizius muscles. Now three days later I'm still sore.
Should it be this way?

Last edited by BigMac; 10-13-2006 at 10:42 AM.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
(female)

removedone HB User
Re: Should it be so painful after deep tissue massage?

Hi BigMac,
I've been dealing with sciatic pain caused by a mild bulging disk in L-4-5 and S1 mild stenosis. Initially, the sciatica was excruciatingly painful in my right leg. It followed the sciatic nerve, starting deep in my glut, going down my thigh and calve, to my ankle. I would only have stiffness and extreme pain when I got out of bed each morning. Some mornings I could barely walk. I had tried all sorts of conservative treatment for 3 months. If you want to know about that, I'll tell you, but not now. I want to share my experience with deep massage therapy. I think it's a good thing!

About two months ago, I began deep tissue massage therapy with a wonderful chiropractor who specializes in 'trigger point' massage. I really feel I've made a lot of progress over these past two months, because of her 'deep tissue massage therapy.'

Initially I saw her once a week, and in the past four weeks, once every two weeks. I'm always sore after a session. [B]Initially I was very sore and a bit stiff right after I'd get up from her massage table. That would last for about an hour. In anticipation of that pain, I started to take 600 MG of ibuprofen before I'd go to the massage therapy. Yes, the next day, my muscles often feel stiff and a bit painful, as if I've done a heavy workout. The chiropractor told me that is usual. Anyway, the pain has diminished from session to session.[/B]

Last week, in an effort to further explore my options, I went to a physiatrist (who is also an MD neurologist). She suggested doing a series of trigger point injections, with the hope of 'taking a short cut' sort of speaking, to help release the 'knots' or 'trigger point' in my muscles. The plan is to do them a week apart, for four weeks. The first time, she injected just one trigger point on my thigh. It seems that it may have effectively relieved the 'knot' in that muscle, because over the past four days, I've had less pain in my leg when I got up in the morning.

I'm still going to the chiropractor for deep massage. Today, I went to the chiropractor, and she said that she noticed a difference in my thigh muscle. She felt that the 'trigger point shot' had effectively loosened that area. Anyway, I had less pain when I left her, than I had two weeks ago.

I really feel, of all of the conservative treatment, physical therapy, etc, that I've experienced since I got the results of my MRI from my orthopaedic MD, that the deep massage therapy has been most instrumental in helping me to make progress to recovery. I'm optimistic that I will recover.

I hope I've been of some help to you.
jlo2

Last edited by removedone; 10-13-2006 at 12:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
(female)

BigMac HB User
Lightbulb Re: Should it be so painful after deep tissue massage?

Thanks for the reply.............so I hear you saying that the pain of the muscle stiffness is expected afterwards! I intend to keep going forward with the deep tissue and muscle massage. After only two I've had no relief and have considerably more pain in areas where there was nothing going on before so that scared me. I'm real protective of my neck after being injured and have 3 separate surgeries, spinal cord damage etc so when my neck, arms and chest muscles were hurting so much and radiating down into the arms..............not only STIFF but really hurting even with no movement, it was not expected!..........I do have sciatic nerve compression that has flared up every few years but no surgery. This is the first time the pain has radiated down the front of my leg. It's always gone down the back and into the ankle as you described.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
(female)

removedone HB User

I'm not a doctor. I can only relate my experience. I don't think my problem is nearly as complicated as yours. This is my first bout with 'spine issues.' I've come to realize that back issues vary so much from person to person.

When you say <<<<so when my neck, arms and chest muscles were hurting so much and radiating down into the arms..............not only STIFF but really hurting even with no movement>>> that seems more than the usual pain I get after massage, and it scares me. It's fair to say that you can be injured by someone who is not adept at massage or worse, manipulation.

[B]The only advice you ought to pay attention to on 'this health board' (in my opinion) is: call your doctor to get a professional opinion from the professional who is familiar with you and your case. [/B]

Having said that, I'd suggest that you call your orthopedic physician and explain the pain that you're feeling.

Last edited by removedone; 10-13-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Ditto.. call your physician. Massage if done incorrectly can cause you more harm than good.

If you are having that kind of pain.. either the massage therapist is not well versed on your body and the surgery aspects, she does not know what she's doing, or it's your body rejecting it due to some other underlying issue.

So, I suggest you stop the massage therapy until you speak with your doctor about it.

Good luck.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

dustbegone HB User

I too have had many issues going on. And I've had several kinds of treatments. The deep tissue work was painful. Both during and afterwards. I was treated by a chiro. on Tues. and Thurs. She did trigger point therapy and would adjust me. There was a time when she worked the femur triangle (i think that's what it's called) Anyway, it hurt so bad it literally took my breath away. I can't even begin to describe it. But after a few treatments like that it loosened up. And the pain level decreased during treatment. Eventually I didn't hurt for days afterwards and then I was fine. I have other areas similiar to that as far as trigger points, but sometimes you need to take a few days away to recover. Let the muscles settle down a bit on their own. Use a heating pad to help relax and use Motrin. ( I would use ice after my deep tissue because I would feel like I was swollen) I was also told to drink alot of water to help flush out the toxins that were released.

Closed Thread