It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User
legs go numb lying on my back at night

Does this happen to anyone else. Is this common. Why does this happen. I can barely walk when i get up. Hips, legs and feet sometimes wake me up when I sleep on my back for to long at night.

I have to sleep in the fetal position with a large body pillow between my legs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: legs go numb lying on my back at night

My entire lower body went numb anytime I layed down , with pins & needles and pain when I had herniated discs in my lower back. I had to sleep the same way you are, in fetal position with a pillow between my knees.

Does it happen to you at any other times? Like when sitting too long, standing, walking, etc? Do you get any kind of sharp, shooting pains down your legs at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi

I had the same numbness an extreme lower back pain when i had a herniated disc.
I had to sleep in a chair for 9 months cause i couldnt lie in bed in any position.
Now the docs say my disc problem has healed an going through facet joint injections but yes it is still painful to stay in any position especially on my backfor very long.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there,
You are certainly not alone. I have terrible nights. Once I finally fall asleep I often awake, some night it's numerous times. Sometimes I have to get out of bed or else I get no relief. When I am in that much pain sometimes I feel as though I am paralized in pain and it's so hard to move at all. The pain effects my back (lower mostly but sometimes it extends to my neck), it effects my hips and my stomach, my right leg with numbness (sometimes my left one as well and both of my feet. Even once I get out of bed it looks as though I am totally drunk. I have no balance whatsoever. I have to make sure I have a really good solid pair of slippers and a cane or walker, in case I totally lose my balance. It's quite bad.
I have my second surgery coming up in a couple of weeks so I am praying for relief then.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your diagnosis? I look forward to hearing from you. Take care. Beachgirl.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:53 AM   #5
(female)

janets010 HB User

My legs go nomb too when lying flat, I have 2 prolapsed discs at L4/5 and L5/S1.
Nothing seems to help this even changing position and I can hardly move in the mornings

Old 10-17-2006, 05:51 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

JayBoy, Yeah I think it's normal . because I have the same feeling..When Im on my back for 1 minute my legs go numb,,any longer they hurt. I dont know why it does it but even when I sit in a certain way they go numb. My Dr don't think its anything to be concerned about. I sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs to.

Closed Thread