It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

redbullwings HB User
Can pain pills cause memory loss?

Hello Everyone
This is probly just me but I thought I would ask. I have been taking pain pills for a year now anything from oxys , metadone,norco, vicoden, percocet,ext..
Everyone at home tells me I don't remember stuff. I do forget things won't denie that. I wondered If I hit my head when I fell the night I got hurt. I didn't have this problem before the fall. I was wondering could all the different meds mess with the memorie. I don't see that I will be off meds anytime soon. So if meds do affect the memorie. what do you do other then write everything down?
Thank you Jen

Old 10-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
(female)

Vuitton70 HB User
Re: Can pain pills cause memory loss?

Umm, my family tells me the same thing. I even catch myself sometimes, I'll look back on some business correspondence I've done and can't remember writing down notes or jotting down conversations. DH gets irritated at me because he says I forget everything.

I know I do forget things, but its either that or I'm in severe pain and can't function. What's a CP'er to do?

I hope your memory gets better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Jen,
Yes, you're right, some of the meds can cause memory loss, supposedly temporary. I don't know about the particular ones you're on. I'm only on Percocet at this point and am not having too much trouble. Makes me ramble sometimes. Anyone else know about the meds Jen's taking?

With the traumatic fall you had, I hope they checked your head to make sure you hadn't hit it and caused damage. Other than not remembering things, is your thinking cloudy at all? Do you make sense when you talk to your family?

After all this time, it's probably more likely to be the meds. Personally, I think that just being in pain contributes to not remembering, too. Just my opinion.

Hope you find some answers for your peace of mind.

Blessings,
Emily

Old 10-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
(female)

cherish1 HB User

This is exactly why I hate taking my pain meds. There is so much of my life I don't remember. I may be an odd case, but I am more than loopy when I take even vicodin. It makes me very sad, because the horrible pain makes me depressed and taking the meds gives me some of my life back, just too back I can't remember much of it. Fortunately, I have found out I have more problems that can possibly be treated, even after 2 failed surgeries. Maybe this won't be my life forever.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
(male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User

Yes, but there are other factors, stress, painkillers relax everything, and to heal in a restful condition, we need to not have stress. So being out of the loop and not working, I donít even have to remember what day or time it is. So, we tend to forget by not using the old noodle, and the meds have a big part in the equation also. And I forgot what I was going to say next,,,,,,

Old 10-16-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there,
I'm sure that some meds can cause memory loss. However if you are concerned ask your doctor or pharmacist. It's probably even easier to just look them up online. If you are still concerned after checking online then call your pharmacist. Good Luck. Take care. Beachgirl.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
(female)

michellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB User

I take a lot of the same meds you do and I have memory loss too. It is very surprising to me to forget so many things, I used to remember everything I certainly hope it gets better for you!
Michelle

Old 10-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Ditto Jen to what the others have noted. They do indeed cause fogginess and forgetfullness. So does the pain. So take what you need to feel better and let the rest take care of itself. If needed.. start to write things down.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #9
(female)

redbullwings HB User

Thank you all very much.
Now I can tell my family its not my fault!!!! For months now they all have been telling me ,that I wasn't remembering things and it has cause some problems with my kids, boyfriend and best friends. I tried to tell them I thought the pills affected my memorie. No one believed me that it could infact be from the pills and that I didn't have selected memorie.....as my kids would say.. Its good to know that if the day ever comes that I will no longer need the pain pills then my memoery will be back to normal. what ever normal is ....HA HA Thanks again all of you Jen

Old 10-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
(male)

webdude HB User

Yep! Pain meds plus the pain will cause memory loss... You are always thinking about the pain! I noticed that my memory has been failing me, and I misplace things lately, and I dont take too many drugs... But I do worry about my back alot and am walking on egg shells.. Hard to ignore, but medidation would probably help a bit..

Maurizio

Closed Thread