It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
(male)

mynameisdave145 HB User
Back pain under left shoulder blade

I am 20 years old, and a college student. I was doing my homework the other night on my couch laying at somewhat of an angle propping myself up with my left elbow, writing with my right hand. When I moved to switch positions I found a very intense pain right under my left shoulder blade. I presume it is from sitting in this (un-ergononmic) posture, however the pain has not subsided (it has been roughly 2 days).

I experience a constant dull pain and experience very harsh pain when I hunch my shoulders up and put my head down to try to stretch it as well as when I bring my left arm across my body while stretching.

I am relatively certain this is just a pulled or spasming muscle, however a few things worry me a bit. 1) I have very slight (not complete) numbness in this area on the skin - I can feel when i put my hand there, but I can just tell it is not a full feeling, but not the point I would be personally worried... maybe the bodies self response to the pain? Maybe I am overlooking this issue..., and 2) for quite some time (more than a year) I have been told by people who have massaged my back that I have quite large knots on either side of my spine in almost the exact area that is hurting right now. When these knots are massaged it hurts quite a bit, to the point where I have to make the person stop massaging in that area.

Being in college I have to go quite a bit out of my way to get to a doctor without having to jump through insurance hoops, so I am getting others opinions and waiting a few days before I make any decisions on that route.

What I would really like to know is A) exactly what muscle is causing this pain (if there is a way to determine it by syptoms) B) any home remedies or solutions other than stretching that may help this issue and C) if i should be worried about a serious problem

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Re: Back pain under left shoulder blade

Hi there,

I don't think that this is anything major and you shouldn't worry too much about it just yet. Give it a few more days at least. It probably is a pulled, irritated muscle. This kind of thing happens all the time. It can take it a week or two too fully recover.

I would say if after the weekend it is still as bad as it is today then you should make the effort to see a doctor and request an x-ray. Only you know how it feels. If it's really bad than you may want to go sooner. It could be other things but in my experience and so on I think it's a pulled muscle. I'm not an expert so don't quote me on that or anything!

Things you could do for relief is icing and or heat. Sometimes alternating it is a good idea. I don't know if you are taking any meds right now but Ibuprofen is an anti inflamatory and it may help you. To find out if it's something you can take you should call your pharmacist. Also you could mention it to them. Pharmacists are quite often very helpfull and can give you suggestions and advice.

Good luck. I hope that I have helped you out a little bit. Let me know if there's anything else I can do. Take care. Keep me posted. Beachgirl.

Closed Thread