It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

amandafaye HB User
Does anyone know a nonsurgical way to help my back?

I was hit by a semi in march of 05 and have had alot of upper back problems,the Dr. says it is degenerative disc disease? I dont know what to do, I am to have a discogram on the 27th of this month to try and fix or see what can be done to fix it, but I have heard so many people say that once you hurt your back,you will always have problems with it. So what should I do? Has anyone else had this problem? Is there another way to go about this? I have so many questions and not enough answers. Right now I dont even feel like myself any more, I am taking percocet every 4 to 6 hours and usually cant wait till its time to take it because I hurt so badly. This is affecting my family because with the meds I am like a zombie. I have tried other meds but cant seem to find anything that will work, and would rather not have to take anything. I am only 28 and feel like my life is going down hill fast... someone please help me!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Re: Does anyone know a nonsurgical way to help my back?

Hi there,

I can relate. I am 25 and I've had one surgery and my second is on Friday. Before having my first surgery I tried all non surgical procedures. I did physiotherapy, injections, accupuncture, rehab, weight loss (there wasn't much to loose but anything extra is extra weight that hurts your back and body). The best thing that I can think of is finding a way that will stregthen your core muscles. This will help compensate for any back problems that you may have. It may not be a cure but it will help. Swimming is great for cardio and pilates is is excellent for your core. There are also some simple exercises that you can do at home, search the web and you'll find a lot. The key is to stick with it for life. It's not something you want to acheive, it's something you want to acheive and maintain.

If you haven't tried physiotherapy, I would give it a try. Also, accupuncture is good. Again it's not a cure but it can provide relief.

I hope this may have helped you. Take care and good luck. Keep me posted. Beachgirl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
(female)

amandafaye HB User

Well I had the discogram, and I have to say it was not that bad. I did hurt for a couple days after, but not bad. I will find out on the 9th what they found and my options. I also had a cyst on my wrist removed and that does hurt. I had it done two days ago and I cant stand the pain and the feeling useless part. I am going to see when they are going to operate on my knees on the 9th as well. I have done this already but it didnt take,so now I have to do it again.(my knee caps were pushed up against the dash when I was hit). So thats about all going on with me,how is everyone else?

Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

dlp3300 HB User

My heart aches for you,welcome to the fold. my saga started when I was 31,I am 36 now and have done EVERYTHING under the sun,believe me.I have come to relize that once you are a back patient w/chronic pain the Drs.will start the gamment of "cures".Try to find a book on anti-inflammatory foods and get info on suppl. and vitamins.I am currently using MSM and it has helped me.It also comes in a lotion-real good.Lose any excess weight you can and eat as healthy as possible.Streching is great,aqua-therapy is better.Try to slow down on pain meds and get a liver cleanse suppl.try to avoid alot of steriod type meds.Ask your Dr. For a "TENS" unit,it is electrical stimulation unit.It helps.Please try to avoid surgery IF you can.I have had 2 back operations one was a doulbe fusion,now I have Failed back surgery syndrome-translation-your screwed!I was young and active,had a awesome career making big $ and was living life.That has all changed.You are SOOO young, learn now that you MUST start taking control of your health as much as you can,Drs. can only do so much.Be wary of epideral steriods injections,if offered -research your dr to make sure he has ALOt of experience.Be awake during any ES injection.I wish you so much luck and you are at the right place ,people here have a wealth of info that can save you hardship in the future.I just wish I would have found this place sooner.Take care and keep us posted.

Last edited by dlp3300; 11-02-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Closed Thread