It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

Rightio HB User
Can Bulging discs go back into place?

Hi, I am new, this is my first post. I had an injury at work and hurt my back. About 12 months ago I had a CT Scan of my upper and lower back. It came back that I had a prodruding disc in my upper back that was pressing on the thecal sac. I also had a prodruding disc in my lower back. The pain in my upper back is always there, sometimes very slight, sometimes extrememly painful. To cut a long story short I had another scan about 3 weeks ago and the results came back clear...no prodruding discs. I thought it may be psychosematic so went off my pain killers. I noticed the pain now, while it is still localised, the pain has spread, my neck my shoulders..all on the right side, also the pain goes down to my lower back and the pain starts at the site of the injury and just spreads. Where the prodruding disc that was pressing on the thecal sac was exactly where the pain is, so now if there is no protruding disc, what could it be. I was told by a physiotherapist that they do not go into place. What is going on do you think. It was suggested in my first scan that maybe an MRI should be done, the doctor didnt think it was necessary. Can bulging discs go back into place? Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User
Re: Can Bulging discs go back into place?

Hi

I had a bulging dics at L4 15 months ago.
Had my scan which showed the bulging disc then last xmas i slipped on the stairs an landed on my backside.
There was an improvement in my pain level an when i went to see my consultant after xmas he said it has resolved itself. I take that to mean its gone back into place.
But!
If thats the case how come i have had so much pain up to now?

The docs think i have other back related problems but havent found the solution yet.

Best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Yes, discs can "unbulge" if you will. The body can heal itself in this way. There is still much about the back, brain and nerves that are unknown to us yet.

Something along the lines of ..Could it be, that because you had pain there from the disc it caused your pain, and even after it's no longer there, the brain and nerves think it still is and is still sending the signal to cause pain? This would hold true if you use the analogy of an amputee.

Some nerve pain that is there.. is just simply unknown. Doesnt help, just is a possible reality for us nerve pain sufferers.

I do think and MRI might be more help to you as you see more on MRI then you do on CT Scan. Also if your nerve pain persists and they see nothing in discs or facets causing pain, then maybe an EMG to test the nerves themselves might be of help in trying to pin pont where your pain may be coming from.

I do hope they figure it out and give you relief. Take care. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 11-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
(female)

greeneyed girl HB User

hey i have had the same thing happen to me and my doc. said sometimes the people who read them are reading different things b/c i had several spurs show up on a cat scan two years later another scan , in another place nothing showed up and i asked can bone spurs just go away? his answer was no.

Closed Thread