It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Popping SI Joints?

Hi, I'm new to this forum

I've looked over a few pages of this forum and found some great posts already about si joint issues. I'm just wondering if anyone here has experienced "popping" si joints? I am having a really hard time with back pain, and at times when I get out of a vehicle my joints will pop. This isn't all the time, but when it does happen I'm lucky if I don't fall over, it's like everything is going to collapse on me.

I have seen my doc before regarding my back pain, he took x-rays, nothing showed up (which from what i understand is not so unusual) then told me to get massage therapy. I went for about six or seven sessions, it helped, but it does get expensive after awhile. The massage therapist did say that I was out of alignment, and I've long noticed that one hip is slightly higher than the other (this has been noticed by a chiropractor in the past as well).

I know my core is weak and I have to work on that. It just seems like I have so many things going on with this. The si pain, my left hip that is out of whack, sciatica pain that hurts so bad I can hardly stand to sit.

I don't know what I'm looking for from you all...maybe some troubleshooting, what to discuss with my doctor? But mostly, I want to know if anyone has experienced the "popping" of the joints.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

Old 11-23-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User
Re: Popping SI Joints?

Hi Karen

I have had back problems for the last 15 months an yes my back pops as well.
My physio says its something to do with the air getting trapped then released( sorry carnt elaberate on that it was a while ago) but that it was nothing to worry about.
But it does sound horrendous!
My husband can hear it popping its so loud.

My hips are also out of alignment.
Today i am having trouble with my left side an in the mirror i can see its lower than the other!

I have an appointment up the hospital next wednesday as a check up to see if my Facet joint injections have done any good but they havent.
I am going to discuss about Sacroiliac joint injections
Have you had yours done?

Your symptoms sound alot like what i am experiencing at the moment.

Best wishes

Last edited by sherry1; 11-23-2006 at 11:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
(female)

TERRA157 HB User

To both Sherry and the original poster, you need to learn how to get the SI joints back in place and keep them there. If you do a search under my name for late Sept /early Oct you'll find a description of several. Do them every 3 hours for a week and also work on mini crunchs/situps with knees bent to strengthen the abs. This is what's putting pressure on the Sciatic nerve, all the stretching going on with the muscles and ligaments. Plus you might have hip joint mobility, hence the snapping.

One other thing, there isn't any air trapped in there, more likely the hip snapping or the thudding of the ligaments. All of this puts a strain on the lumbar vertebrae, making the body try to adapt to the growing pain.

Sherry those bones you see as the hips they are the innominates, and if they are crooked, your SI joints are the reason. Correct it, and the pain will go away.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Dear Karen and everyone, Hi! I do get popping sometimes in my left SI area. It is not painful, but I do know my left hip rides a bit higher than the right. I have been doing a lot of isometric core strengthening exercises as well as upper ab crunches over the last 2 years. It does make a difference-my PT said I have very loose connective tissue, so the isometric tightening exercises would help me a lot. I recently has SI injections (see previous post) which are helping. I also find that acquatic exercises (walking in the water/leg lifts) are helpful. I have knee issues also, so I try to exercise without aggravating everything. Take care, Kera

Old 11-24-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
(female)

removedone HB User

Hi,
Kera, Terra, and I, have posted several times about the sacroiliac subject.

I feel a 'grinding' sort of, around my sacroiliac joint. It feels like 'bone rubbing on bone.' Not certain it can be heard, though it 'feels loud' to me. 'Mine' is not a popping sound, like when a person cracks their knuckles. Is yours? I don't feel additional pain with the grinding, but I do have pain in the SIJ and sciatic pain that runs down the back of my thigh and calve to my ankle. Sometimes the pain is sharp, and sometimes it feels like an extreme ache or 'charley-horse' pain.

As I've posted, I'm eagerly awaiting a SIJ injection on December 4. I've already had trigger point injections, and on ineffective epidural. I hope the SIJ injection 'does the trick!'

jlo2

Old 11-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Wow, thanks for all the great information (and commiseration)! Terra, I did a search yesterday looking for the exercises you mentioned (cause I saw you had mentioned how to find them in previous posts as well...) and I will start doing them. Jlo, yes, it is a popping sound/feeling like when you crack your knuckles. Usually happens when I am getting out of our vehicle. We recently switched from an Impala car to a small SUV and I notice our vehicle is a bit better for my back now, but I still get the popping (just half an hour ago, actually). The sciatic pain you described, the extreme achiness, wow, hear you on that one!

Sherry, Kera, I have not had anything done with my si joints. I saw physio coming up four years ago due to horrible pubic bone pain following the birth of my second child. My children are 15months apart and were each 8lbs, 12 ounces, so I have had alot of issues with my pelvis.

do you think it is better to get a pt assessment done or see my doctor first? The last time I saw my doc he didn't really have much to say other than "go for massage therapy".

Thanks again for all your info. I have been reading the previous si posts and found them and the exercises in them to be quite helpful.

Karen

Old 11-25-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
(female)

TERRA157 HB User

[QUOTE=karen32]Wow, thanks for all the great information (and commiseration)! Terra, I did a search yesterday looking for the exercises you mentioned (cause I saw you had mentioned how to find them in previous posts as well...) and I will start doing them.

[B]Good I really think they will help you. You will need to do them whenever you feel uncomfortable in the pelvis. This could be every few hours if needed. [/B]

Jlo, yes, it is a popping sound/feeling like when you crack your knuckles. Usually happens when I am getting out of our vehicle. We recently switched from an Impala car to a small SUV and I notice our vehicle is a bit better for my back now, but I still get the popping (just half an hour ago, actually). The sciatic pain you described, the extreme achiness, wow, hear you on that one!

[B]What really helps in getting in and out of cars is keeping the legs together getting in and out. And when you stand up, you absolutely have to tighten the ab muscles and pinch the buttocks together and stand up straight. [/B]

[/QUOTE]

Old 11-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ala3 HB User

Hi,
I have a disc problem, and SI joints problem. Recently I had a radiofrequency lesioning done for my SI joints. It took about three weeks to start feeling the difference, but in my case it helped more than just the cortisone injections. My sciatic pain is gone and the numbness in my foot is getting better. I can sit longer, the only problem are my muscles. If I sit too long the next day I get the muscle knots and spasms. I am starting PT for that this week. My doc. said massage and streching should help with the muscles. I can say that so far the radiofrequency helped me alot.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Hi i am new to this thready but not to the board i also suffer from pain due to my SI joint. I was hoping to get some insight on this. I don't experience popping but this is my story. I started with pain about a year ago when i worked for a while, it got so bad i couldn't even walk on with my left side hip area and low back pain i would limp all day. I had to quit my jod early, it was seasonal and they saw my pain and struggles. Meanwhile i went to my regular Dr. who sent me to a neorologist and i had an MrI at that point wich showed something with my L-4 and L-5 can't remember exactly well he sent me to physical therapy and to the pain clininc. I had already beeen to thereapy with no relief and went to the pain clinic where this Dr. didn't agree with the neurologist and did a bone scan and yes my pain was alot but when the bone scan came back normal he said some people just have bad back pain and not to be afraid of it. He referred me to a chiropractor that stated that this occured due to my car accident a couple years back, and the damage may be to gone to fix, so i saw him for over 6 weekswith him making it worse not better so i stopped goingIn the meanwhile as long as i do next to nothing i am doing alright with slight pain. In all this i applied for SSI and got denied,and then i appealled .I was told at one time my left hip ball does not rotate like it's supposed to and don't know if this could be all related to maybe age, but i am only 35 years old. I want to try to go back to work but if i can't do it then i know i will have to start all over with the SSI. Sorry so long just hoping to get some insight on what to do? Not to mention i am usually a go getter and don't stop till i get want i want, and i'd rather work if i can, but this all has also led to worse depression and i'm struggling with this as well. thatnk you for listening!

bad Lower SI joint pain& lower lumbar pain
Bipolar
Fibromyalgia?
Ostoarthritis in the finger joints
Panic Disorder
Gad

Last edited by monkey5; 11-26-2006 at 10:40 AM.

Closed Thread