It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
(male)

02man HB User
Thumbs up Positive effects Of Lyrica

I HAVE BEEN IN VARIOUS STAGES OF BACK PAIN FOR 15 YEARS,I HAVE HAD SPINAL SURGERY.MY DIAGNOSIS ARE(1.SPINAL STENOSIS,2.SEVERE ARTHRITIS OF THE SPINE,3,DEGENERATIVE DISK DISEASE,I HAD SPINAL FUSION IN 2000. SINCE THEN I HAVE SUFFERED FROM THE SEVERE ARTHRITIS,PINCHED NERVES,SEVERE LOWER BACK PAIN,MY PAIN LEVELS VARY FROM 5-12, MOST RECENTLY SINCE THIS PAST SUMMER I HAVE BEEN IN SUCH EXCRUCIATING PAIN THE I COULD NOT OPERATE MY BUSINESS,I COULDN'T SIT,STAND,WALK,SLEEP. MY NUEROSURGEON WAS READY TO SCHEDULE ME FOR WHAT IS CALLED " BUILDING A CAGE " WHICH INVOLES CUTTING ME OPEN FROM THE FRONT INSTALLING BARS ON BOTH SIDES OF MY SPINE AND SUPPORTING THEM WITH SEVERAL SCREWS, THEN FLIPPING ME OVER AND INSTALLING THE OTHER HALF OF THE CAGE A 12 HR PROCEDURE WITH A SUCCESS RATE OF30%.(NOT GOOD)I'M 50 AS MY SURGEON WAS SCHEDULING MY SURGERY I WENT FOR A 2nd OPION,THIS DR. LOOKED AT MY MRIs,XRAYS AND SAID BEFORE WE TALK SURGERY LETS TALK MEDICINE,THIS NEUROSURGEON A D.O,PUT ME ON LYRICA 75 MG.X 2 PER DAY AFTER THE SECOND DOSE THE MORPHINE PATCH CAME OFF I STOPPED TAKING THE VICODENES AND WAS ABSOLUTELY PAIN FREE AND HAVE REMAINED PAIN FREE NOW FOR 3 MONTHS,FOR ME LYRICA HAS BEEN AN ABSOLUTE MIRACLE DRUG.I DON'T WANT TO SAY IT TOO LOUD OR TOO OFTEN BUT AS LONG AS THE LYRICA CONTINUES TO WORK ON MY PAIN AS WELL AS LIFTING ME OUT THE SEVERE DEPRESSION I'VE BEEN IN FOR SEVERAL YEARS I WILL REMAIN ON IT AS LONG AS THE DR. WILL ALLOW(FOREVER I HOPE) I CAN CONTINUE TO WORK IT IS THE FIRST TIME IN ALMOST 15 YEARS I HAVE HAD VIRTUALLY NO PAIN AND NO DEPRESSION. OTHERS HAVE TOLD ME THEY'VE TRIED LYRICA WITH VARYING DEGREES OF SUCCESS.BUT FOR ME ONCE AGAIN IT'S BEEN AND CONTINUES TO BE AN ABSOLUTE MIRACLE DRUG,I'M EVEN GOING ON MY FIRST VACATION WHERE I'LL BE PAIN FREE I BLESS THE DR.AND THE MANUFACTURER OF LYRICA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
(female)

carken HB User
Re: Positive Affects Of Lyrica

I was interested in your comments on Lyrica. I have stenosis, DDD, spondylolisthesis, scoliosis, and bulging discs at every lumbar level. My back pain started only about 4 years ago, and since that time I've had a PLIF and two laminectomies. After the first two surgeries I was fine and there was no pain at all. Now, after the 3rd one, just 4 weeks ago today, the leg pain is almost, if not exactly, the same as before. I was prescribed Lyrica, 75 mg 3x a day. Yes, it helps a lot, but I'm certainly not pain free as you claim.

The real downside to Lyrica for me is the zombie state I go into for about 2 hours after taking it. I have to adjust my activities around that. I'm much older than you - 65 - retired, so it's pretty easy to do that. However, tomorrow I face a day that I may just have to only take it once in the afternoon because of the things I have to do. Anyway, I just wondered if it ever affected you this way: eyes not able to focus, brain certainly not clicking, very drowsy.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Did it make u sleepy and groggy at all? I took it for a while but wanted to sleep all day. With your testimony I might give it another try. Thanks for input.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Wow, you just took the words right out of my mouth, That zombie state, wonderfoul way of describing it.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
(male)

02man HB User

Thank You For Your Response To Lyrica. The Only So Called Side Affect I Experienced Was The First 3 Days ,my Night Time Dose Of 75 Mg. Made Me Extremely Excited And Anxious, But I Did Not Have Any Problem Falling Asleep.other Than That I Have Had Nothing But 100% Positive Results.no "zombie Like Affects,just The Opposite Total Clear Headedness.await Your Response,02man

Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I take Lyrica twice a day for my nerve pain. It makes me extremely sleepy for the first couple of hours and I feel very sluggish. The PA wanted me to take a stronger dose and take it 3 times a day, but I don't like the sluggishness that comes with it, so I only take is x2. This provides relief without the side effects.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

Well I a currently on 150mg morning and 225mg at night. I only have one side effect and that is weight gain. After a year on Neurontin I lost 17 lbs of the early weight gain. Now guess what Lyrica is packing it back on. I will not continue to take this drug if I keep gaining weight, I will just go back to my nighttime Neurontin dosage of 1600mg. Lyrica is Neurontin without the heavy side effects. It is also more pain effective. It does help with my leg pain but does not help with the more intense breakthrough pain that I have during the night. Sorry but the weight gain is just not worth it. Narcotics were of no benefit but the seizure meds sure have helped my nerve pain.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:25 AM   #8
(female)

carken HB User

Isn't it interesting the way our bodies are all unique and the different ways we respond to medication?

I have to plan my day around Lyrica because for the first 2 -3 hours after taking it, I'm in that "zombie-like" state. That only gives me 3 - 4 hours before another dose is due. LOL

I had an especially busy day planned today and was thinking I just might not take it at all today, except for my nighttime dosage. I experimented yesterday afternoon by omitting that dosage, and by the time I went to bed, I was literally crying and could only walk with the aid of my cane in one hand, and using my other hand to balance myself with the furniture and the wall. So guess what? I just omitted most of today's activities and will be a "Lyrica zombie" again.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:50 AM   #9
(female)

needaplan HB User

I do not have back issues, so please forgive me for jumping into this discussion! But when I read this thread on Lyrica, I wanted to add my opinions.

This drug gave me my life back.

I have been taking it since May for nerve pain; the first couple of weeks, I had the groggy side effects. However, after that, the side effects went away, and haven't returned (crossing my fingers).

It is interesting how we are all different and have different experiences. I have, in fact, lost weight -- I think mostly because I feel better and am able to exercise and be more active. Also, I have read that the side effects can be increased based on other medications you are taking (for example, meds prescribed for diabetics).

The downside: you cannot just stop taking it. While I never felt "high" on Lyrica, I did stop taking it after my surgery a few weeks ago (didn't think I needed it with the other post-op meds). After about 2 days, I started feeling like I was coming down with the flu, and I had a migrane that wouldn't stop. When it didn't go away after a day, I took a Lyrica, and my symptoms vanished within the hour.

So basically, as with other pain meds, you should taper down when it's time to stop. Some doctors don't have a lot of experience with this, as it has only been out for about 2 years -- and only recently has it started to be prescribed for pain other than diabetic or shingles-related. My doctor was very surprised to hear about my withdrawal symptoms, and we are now doing a slow taper.

Anyway, I hope that anyone reading this who may be on the fence should give it a try. It was the miracle drug for me, and made life bearable when nothing else worked.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
(male)

wt2 HB User
Re: Positive effects Of Lyrica

This is a very interesting topic to me. I had been taking Lyrica for my cronic back pain for a while (about 5 months), along with other pain medicine. Carken, you are so correct that people have somewhat different experiences with the a given drug. When I first took Lyrica it sometimes gave me that zombie effect previously mentioned. But my body seemed to quickly adjust to Lyrica, and then it took more of it to help. I recently stopped Lyrica and went to Neurontin. When I stopped, I was taking Lyrica 150MG twice a day. They helped the pain but didn't completely take it away. I hadn't had the zombie effect for a long time, and usually was only mildly sleepy from them. However, I stopped them because of the constant swelling in my feet and ankles, and because of other weird problems in my body. My hands and feet seemed to fall asleep a lot, and I would get tingling a lot in my hands. And, I would gerk my body a lot. It has been about a month since I switched to Neurontin and most of these problems have dissapeared. Some doctors said they didn't think Lyrica could effect my arms and hands, one doctor thought it might be caused by Lyrica though. I think he was correct!

Needaplan, I didn't have any trouble stopping Lyrica. No effects at all. Of course the back pain was much worse while I changed drugs. Neurontin helps the pain, but it also takes a lot of it to help. Typically I don't feel much pain releif until I have taken the 3rd 300MG pill, around noon. I am interested in how much Neurontin others take, and how it helps them. I will search on that, but please comment here if you can.

Closed Thread