It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
(female)

judyswrite HB User
Tear in sacroiliac ligament?

Has anyone dealt with a 'tear' in any of the sacroiliac ligaments, or stretched ligaments in the sacroiliac? If so, was it discovered on MRI? Also, what PT did you do? How long has it taken to recover?

Old 12-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User
Re: Tear in sacroiliac ligament?

Hi! I have not had a tear in the SI ligaments, but I do have stretched ligaments (probably from childbirth). I have arthritis in the SI joint, and xray shows bone changes. What has helped the most has been the SI injections and PT. I have been doing core strengthening exercises to stabilize the area. Unfortunately, the pain comes and goes, mostly due to how long I sit. It is frustrating! Have you had injections? Kera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
(female)

judyswrite HB User

I had an SIJ injection last Monday. The injection was supposed to serve two purposes; to relieve the inflammation and take the pain away (for a short, or a lengthy period of time); and if it did, it would be an indication of a clear diagnosis for the source of my sciatica. In other words, if it worked, and the sciatica was gone, then the MD would know that my problem is sacroiliac disfunction.

About 3 days after the injection my pain seemed less, and I thought it was going away. But now that a week has passed, I still have sciatica down my right leg. It's not bad, but still there, and very annoying.

I tried to play golf yesterday because I was feeling better than usual and without pain, but as I finished the 6th hole my sciatica came on strongly.

This morning, I went to my 'follow up' appointment with the neuro-physiatrist who did the SIJ injection. She has now suggested that I get 'facet joint' injection. I'm scheduled for the procedure on Dec 21. Just another step on this frustrating road to discover the source of my pain.

I'm 63, and I have always been physically active and very healthy. Frankly, I'm grateful that my back issue isn't nearly as painful as some of the pain I've read about on this board. It has changed my quality of life. I've been dealing with it for 7 months. It's sometimes depressing.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I tore my SI ligaments. I had Prolotherapy and it worked. I still have pain from Sacrolititis? Anyway, I have chronic pain and have learned to live with it, without the use of meds.

But, my ligaments are now tight.

I do core exercises which are not what most think that they are. I have to tighten my kegal muscles. Then, only slightly tighten the muscles right above the public bone, not engaging the other parts of the abs. Then, I tighten up my lower, very lower back muscles. All of this, which breathing from the belly. My knees are up and I am on my back. I hold my hands to the side of my chest so that I contract these muscles and my abs can't engage. My mind has imprinted this procedure and it comes second nature but only after six months of practice. I slightly lift my foot up, every so slightly while all are engaged. This has helped me out 99% and I have lessened my pain to about a two after three years of doctor after doctor, pain med after pain med, and no hope on the horizon. It was those pesky little core muscles.

I am still walking five miles a day and working out thirty minutes a day on the Total Gym.

Hang in there,

Old 12-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
(female)

judyswrite HB User

Moonlight,
I have so many questions. I hope my questions are not an intrusion, but Iím thinking that your info might help me to solve my problem.

How long ago did you have prolotherapy? How did they diagnose that you had torn those ligaments? MRI? How many prolotherapy shots did you have? Which ligaments did they inject? How long did it take to become effective? Can they 'see' that it worked, in MRI, or whatever? If you are still having pain, how do you know that it worked?

Did you go to a special clinic? An MD? Orthopaedic? I'm really considering getting evaluated for prolotherapy. I'm in Florida. There are a few MD's in my area, 'listed as doing prolotherapy.'

I've been in more pain over the past three days than I've had over the past month. I had thought that I was improving, but it seems to be getting worse now. Last night, at three in the morning, I woke up in pain. I went into the bathroom to get some ibuprofen. I turned on the light, and when I looked in the mirror, I noticed that my right hip seemed about 3 inches higher than my left hip. So it's obvious to me that my sacroiliac joint is Ďout of whack.í So Iím thinking that my problem is probably that the ligaments that keep my sacroiliac joints in place, are stretched, etc. I have been on an MD witch hunt to find a diagnosis for 8 months!

Now, Iím supposed to have a facet point injection on Monday. So, Iím thinking that I should skip that and go back to my chiropractor for adjustment and deep massage.

I donít know what to do. Any comments?

Closed Thread