It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
(male)

ejreiss HB User
can back cause foot and ankle pain

I was just wondering if my recent foot and ankle pain could be caused by issues with my back. I've already had three surgeries with scar tissue, radiculopathy and nerve damage. Although I've always had pain radiating in my left leg I've never had pain in my foot. I've been told that I'm always gonna have some pain there due to failed back syndrome. I was just wonderring if my pain in foot and ankle could be related to my back issues.
Is this a symptom that some people get or develop because of the back. Is it a sign that things may be getting worse. Or is it just a problem maybe not related to the back. I've always had numbness in left foot but that was never real painful. now I am experiencing pain in bottom of foot and ankle.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: can back cause foot and ankle pain

I can't say what it is in your case. But my foot probably bothers me more than anything, or the most often should I say, more consistent. I have problems with L5S1 and I think a bulge or something between L4 L5. Its really common with these areas. Sometimes I think I am going crazy the way the pains etc move around. But found out I'm not, or atleast related to the pains

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
(female)

Ladybug! HB User

[COLOR="Purple"]I too have problems with L4 & L5 & have had surgery twice.
My first op worked and the sciatica went straight away-the second op didn't and I'm left with permanent nerve pain.

I've had pain in my leg & foot-a kind of numbness/pains & needles kind of feeling, like I've been sat in the same position for too long!

I have been told that sciatica can be felt in different parts of the leg & foot by different people.

Only you know where the pain/numbness is-good luck!

Heather X[/COLOR]

Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Mine starts at the lower back , spreads across my buttox and down my hip and outside of my leg down the shin into the left side of outside foot and across my little toe to my big toe , my whole foot then feels like it's being crushed, but don't last long if I shift or move ?? Wierd huh ?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I was trying to tell you I have ankle pain to and forgot to mention it before. My problem is the L5 S1 and when you look at dermatone charts it made me realize that your not crazy.

But if you look up the drematone charts you'll see the patterns it usually takes when affecting different ones.

yvette

Last edited by moderator2; 12-19-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am L4/L5/S1 and have pain through my right buttock, down the side of my thigh, skip a part of my calf, then near the ankle I have pain, down the right side of the foot and intermittment pain in my big toe.

The right side of the foot and big toe is new pain for me.

I am not a doctor but if you are having these new symptoms I would definitely get them check out. Maybe you will finally have an answer to your pain.

Good Luck!

Old 12-22-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
(male)

ejreiss HB User

Thanks for your replies. I am a few years post op of my third back surgery. I've always had some pains that have gotten better after surgery but they were never resolved completely. This pain in my foot and ankle is something that is new and I was just wondering if it could be due to my back problems getting worse. Maybe you guys can help but I was also wondering if pain in my groin area that is new to me could also be caused by my back. I have a lot of unexplained pain at the very top of my left leg in the front right wear you leg bends. It is so bad that if I'm lying down flat I can't even lift my leg up more than a couple of inches. This is a real concern to me cause I'm wondering if it could be due to my back also and therefore making my situation even worse. Please help. Does anyone else have pain there. It is located right at the point were my underwear line is. Sorry for the bad explanation as to were I am feeling pain but I don't know how else to explain it's location.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

So sorry that your have the pain...no, I don't know what can cause the pain in your groin area. BUT, I have read that is one of the symptoms from the back...not sure which disc causes it...a dermatone chart should show you..
Hope that it resolves soon...

Shawley....you have my symptoms exactly!!!! Scary...and yet my PM Drs. & neuro...say they don't see any problem on the right side where the pain happens....I have some "small" according to them lateral herniation on the left side & should have the pain on that side...sorry, it happens on the right side...weird huh?? Hate it when the pain is in the ankle & foot...back is bad enough... but, if you can believe this, I found it sad that there is someone else with the exact same symptoms, and yet, the Drs. make like I am the only one who has this problem!!
Sage

Old 12-23-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I have pains in the groin area sometimes to, like little sharp needles, its weird.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just a thought here.as i was reading your symptoms,i wondered about this but when you mentioned that you DO have some level of denervation in that foot,well,this really could be one possibility.its called "charcots joint"?you can get this in any load bearing joint where there is also some level of loss of sensation.i unfortunetly have this in my knee but it is also very common to have in the foot and ankle joints.try doing a search on charcots joint and then compare symptoms and see what you think.just one possibility.but you do really fit the criteria.you can also get whats called neuropathic arthopathy along with this so you can actually have no pain or alot of pain.it all depends on just whats affected.but this forms only in load bearing joints.take a look and see what you think and let me know,K?good luck to you,marcia

Old 12-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
(male)

ejreiss HB User

Thank you feelbad for your information. I went and read a little about charcots joint. Not really sure that is me. I guess there are hundreds of diseases out there that would fit some of the symptoms I am having. These problems I've posted on this thread are only new symptoms that have developed after the diagnosis of my failed back syndrome. The one that is scaring me is the thread I read about arachnoiditis. I went and read about that and the symptoms almost fit me exactly. At this point I just don't know what to do. Work comp doctors don't want to do crap to treat or diagnose me since I have already settled my work comp case. They are responsible for any future back related medical needs but they just seem to brush me off. I've been trying to get them to try different medications but to no avail. It's just a lose lose situation..

Old 12-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

I had Post op foot and ankle pain, it started about 3-4 months after L-fusion. The foot pain was also a burning pain, like my foot was on fire. The ankle felt like I had slight sprain in it.

My Dr. put me on Neurontin for that and the leg pain, amazingly in my case, it'll all went away.

Good luck to yo and Happy Holidays,

Bernie

Closed Thread