It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User
anyone use a "bone stimulator"?

Hello everyone! Just wondering if anyone is or has used a bone stimulator ( orthofix )? It is a belt that I have to wear about four hours a day for bone stimulation. Almost reminds me of Darth Vaders belt! Been wearing it now for two days. All Thoughts and comments welcome. Peace to all.

Rose

Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: anyone use a "bone stimulator"?

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 12-19-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I've got an electronic bone growth stimulator, a different kind from yours. I have the EBI SpinalPakII. It has two sticky pads that go on my back, one on each side of my incision about 4-6 inches apart. The pads have electrodes that hook up to a little pack that fits into my pocket. It has two rechargable batteries that I change daily, and I wear it 24/7 except in the shower. I can't feel it at all, but supposedly the two electrodes interact electronically and stimulate bone growth. They're seeing bone growth happening, so I guess it's doing something.

I'll do whatever has even a remote possibility of helping! I want bone to grow!

~Emily

Old 12-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I have no idea why my doctor hasn't put somthing on me to help me fuse. So far I had 2 non-unions and looking at another one. I'm not sure yet but I will find out on Jan 8th if my bone is growing or not. My surgeon get's really upset about me not fusing , I understand it's not his fault I don't fuse , I just wish he would stop lying to himself and I about me fusing.

I'm going to mention the bone stim on my next surgery if need be. i don't hope for another , I just hope to be better, and I will do whatever it takes to work this next time. Does a CT show bone growth well ?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
(male)

eclose HB User

After my first operation I used one like you have . I had a fusion problem and had to have a second operation. This time I had a bone stimulator inserted into my back that runs from a battery. Doctor says it can stay in and not removed after the battery runs out.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
(male)

japutie HB User

hey, welcome "back".

I had my surgery on friday and got to say an moving around pretty well. Not jogging yet, but at home and loving being with the kids. The first night in the hospital was horrible. trying to forget that, bu all in all, no pre op pain rearing its head. I am having a Bone growth stimulator fitted soon because I chew smokeless tobacco and that is a no no for fusions. Studies I have read on the internet say these things are amazing! good luck and it was good to see you here.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

coder HB User

I had a three level cervical fusion in Feb 2005. 2 of the grafts meshed nicely, but the 3rd one was stubborn and, a full year after the surgery, no healing had taken place in that one joint. I was given a bone growth stimulator to wear several hours a day and the results were miraculous. Within 2 months from the time I started using the stimulator, the graft had 90% meshed with my own bone.
--Lou

Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

coder HB User

I had a three level cervical fusion in Feb 2005. 2 of the grafts meshed nicely, but the 3rd one was stubborn and, a full year after the surgery, no healing had taken place in that one joint. I was given a bone growth stimulator to wear several hours a day and the results were miraculous. Within 2 months from the time I started using the stimulator, the graft had 90% meshed with my own bone.
--Lou

Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

coder HB User

--Lou

Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

coder HB User

--Lou

Old 12-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Thank you guys for your input! I will keep wearing it everyday, sounds better than not! Japutie, glad you are home!!!!! I smoked for along time. I have not touched cigarettes now for 22 days now!!! never will again! All I have to do is think of that first night in the hospital Anyway I am routing for you. Again, Thanks everyone for your imput!!!

Rose

Old 12-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Thank you guys for your input! I will keep wearing it everyday, sounds better than not! Japutie, glad you are home!!!!! I smoked for along time. I have not touched cigarettes now for 22 days now!!! never will again! All I have to do is think of that first night in the hospital Anyway I am routing for you. Again, Thanks everyone for your imput!!!

Rose

Old 12-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Rose

Old 12-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[QUOTE=japutie]hey, welcome "back".

I had my surgery on friday and got to say an moving around pretty well. Not jogging yet, but at home and loving being with the kids. The first night in the hospital was horrible. trying to forget that, bu all in all, no pre op pain rearing its head. I am having a Bone growth stimulator fitted soon because I chew smokeless tobacco and that is a no no for fusions. Studies I have read on the internet say these things are amazing! good luck and it was good to see you here.[/QUOTE]
I chewed copenhagen for 20+ years, had to have one first thing in the morning everymorning , well back in 2004 I quit cold turkey , as I went in for my surgery I gave my wife my can and said no more ! That was it, I stopped. It was hard. Anyway, I wonder if thats why I'm still not fusing ?

Old 12-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hey! thanks for input on the stimulator, don't feel as silly wearing it now. Hey Japutie, I smoked for over ten years, I quit nov 28, 06 23 days no smoking. I will never smoke again, if I even think about wanting one all I have to do is think of the first night at the hospital I know it is a hard thing to quit, but I believe it is so worth it for my recovery and yours. One day at a time I quess!!!! well can't sit anymore. must go.
love to all

Rose

Closed Thread