It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Treatment For A Bulging Disk

Sorry but I'm jumping way ahead of myself here..I just had a MRI and a CT and the nurse told me I had disk degeneration and a buldge the next disk up from my fusion..Now I have no idea what the Dr's are going to say. I see my pain management Dr. on the 8th and my surgeon on the 9th , being that my buldge is above my fusion , to me it's saying all the weight is smashing it down since its taking the bulk of the weight. Maybe I'm worried for no reason ?

Anyone gone through this or know anyone who has this going on ? My Dr. did say that people who have fusions have problems with disk above or below it down the road...Think I could be getting my back / hip legs and feet pain from this ? I just hope they find my problems. I really hope everyone had a wonderful christmass , I did, my daughter came home from college and we spent quality time together, the first in a long time.

Wishing you all the best and a painfree day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
(female)

kdk819 HB User
Re: Treatment For A Buldging Disk

Hi Shawley I had my fusion on Nov 8 at L5-S1. I also have bulging discs at L2-3 and L3-4. Before the surgery, the doctor did mention that I would probably need surgery at a later time on the other bulging discs. He said its sort of like the domino effect. I'm hoping he's wrong. Glad you had a great Christmas, now we all need a Healthy, Happy New Year. Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

When i injured my disc at 19 my surgeon refused to do anything surgical to correct it. He told me because when they fuse it, then that section can not move or bend and then the other disc has to overcompensate and eventually the same thing happens. If the disc is bulging and problematic maybe you could fix it with artificial disc and stop the process. There are several artifical disc forums and alot of people on there have had fusion at one level and adr at others.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

Shawley,
When my daughter had her surgery her dr did warn us that down the road other discs may give out down the line. His hope is that she'll get 20 good years out of her fusion, but that would still only put her in her 30s. I know she may have a life full of back problems still ahead of her, but I think that's the mom in me constantly worrying. That's what mom's do best. This back stuff is such a part of us that my daughter has to do a 30 min presentation about something she's passionate about for a full tuition scholarship competition. What else would she be doing it on but her spondy.

I'm glad you had a nice Christmas. I know what your mean to have your kid home from college. My son just graduated and moved home Xmas Eve of all days. It will be so nice to have him home for five weeks before he leaves MI to start his career in Columbus.

I hope you get your issues resolved soon. cas

Last edited by caszyman; 12-27-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

My surgeon warned me about the domino effect also , I just thought maybe it's a little to early for it to go bad so quick. I'm glad people like you all take the time to post to questions , I try to answer as much as I can to because I know how bad you want answer's and any will help.

I see my PM Dr. in 11 day's and my surgeon in 12 so I should know by then . Must not be to serious because none of them called me in any earlier to see them.

cas , that would be a great subject to discuss for your daughter , like most of us , we have experience...hope she does well . My daughter graduated at University of Johnstown Pittsburg , and Indiana University and now she is going to finish up in North Carolina (chappel Hill) she is going to have her doctrine in sycoligy,,sorry if I spelled that wrong, dads education isn't that good. But I'm proud of her, now I have a 16 year old daughter going next , guess we'll be living in cardboard boxes before she graduates from college..

Thanks again to all for posting

Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

[QUOTE=caszyman]Shawley,
When my daughter had her surgery her dr did warn us that down the road other discs may give out down the line. His hope is that she'll get 20 good years out of her fusion, but that would still only put her in her 30s. [/QUOTE]

This is what happened to me. I had a fusion at 18 and 22 years later bam. Disc above has given out. I guess I should feel lucky I had an extra 2 years!!

Last edited by ms_west; 12-27-2006 at 12:54 PM.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I should have 17 years before my problems..? I had my first fusion in 2004 then 2nd in 2005 for failed fusion 3rd suspected failure and still waiting on that verdict , 3rd surgery in July of this year.

I believe my buldge has been there for a while because I recall seeing that said before in a CT or MRI. Maybe it's just getting worse ?

I'll find out in 11 days

Old 12-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

Shawley,
Did your daughter go to Indiana University of Pennsylvania? My father was from Indiana, home of Jimmy Stewart. We used to go visit IUP often. He received his BA from there and then moved to MI. When we were kids we used to go back and visit our relatives there. We loved the mountains, but as my dad would say they were only hills. It's very flat where we're from.

123dietdrpepper,
Did you have a condition you were born with that needed a fusion, or was it from an injury? My daughter was born with spondy and stenosis and the fusion has relieved her pain.
cas

Old 12-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Cas , yep Indiana PA home of Jimmy Stewart , [[COLOR="Silver"]removed[/COLOR]] my daughter still lives in Indiana , in June she is getting married to a young man from Pittsburgh , he's a nice person , he's a school teacher , so I don't think I have to worry about their income , they will be better off than my wife and I and were happy for them. Were having the wedding in Ocean City Maryland on the beach. I hope my back is doing ok then..

Last edited by HBMod07; 12-28-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: please do not post detailed information on where you live

Old 12-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

[QUOTE=caszyman]Shawley,
123dietdrpepper,
Did you have a condition you were born with that needed a fusion, or was it from an injury? My daughter was born with spondy and stenosis and the fusion has relieved her pain.
cas[/QUOTE]

Yes. I had a transitional vertebrae meaning I was missing the disc between the vertebrae. I also recently learned I had a mild case of spina bifida.

PRAISE GOD the surgery relieved her pain. I was very fortunate that my original surgery was so successful and allowed me to lead a very active painfree lifestyle.

By the way, my hubby is a boilermaker!!

Last edited by ms_west; 12-27-2006 at 06:52 PM.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:21 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I have a transitional vertabra , I didn't think it was a vertabra without a disk ? Maybe I'm wrong , and I have been before but I thought it was an xtra vertabra ..I'd have to look that one up..

Anyway . I had an injury at work , . Lift + Fall went bad..And then I heard a snap in my back. I was DX with spondylolisthesis the kind from heavy lifting.. Trauma spondy I believe is what its called .

Have a Great Day

Old 12-28-2006, 06:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I think we are both right. I know my surgeon does not want anyone else giving me injections but him because when he says L5 someone else may read it differently due to the structure abnormailty of my back. We had this happen when a pain doctor injected the steroids into the wrong level of the spine.

I was also missing the disc inbetween this structure.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:12 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

Shawley,
I also have relatives that live in State College. They are Penn State. They live and die for Penn State. You surely want your back to settle down by your daughter's wedding. You want to be able to dance at her wedding!

My daughter had congenital spondy, and later discovered she was also born with spinal stenosis. Dietdrpepper, It's interesting that you think you had a mild case of spinal bifida. When I was pregnant with her the test for spinal bifida came out positive, the AFP test. They had me go through an amnio and said that she was fine. I have always questioned her dr about the correlation between these two conditions and the prenatal testing. He didn't think they were connected, but has never truly ruled it out. She has another very rare gyn issue that some of her drs feel may be connected to the back issues. But no one knows the causes. Her drs just tell me they are things that happened during a certain week in her development. I hate these answers because I want to know exactly what caused it. Everything remains a mystery, but I do thank God that her surgery has been successful so far. I have my daughter back again. I hope this fusion does last as long as your's did. cas

Old 12-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Cas , we bleed blue and white here..I'm a huge Football fan / JoePa.
I think I can get away with my back pain for the wedding . This past October My wife and I took my 2 daughters and their boyfriend's to a Buffalo Bills Game ..Bill's Vrs Vikings and it was horrible , my back just killed me , I was ready to come home in the 3rd quarter. If I take it easy till then I should be ok for a few hours.

Thanks for the post, Oh yeah I'm a Bill's Fan

Old 12-28-2006, 07:40 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

[QUOTE=caszyman]Shawley,
My daughter had congenital spondy, and later discovered she was also born with spinal stenosis. Dietdrpepper, It's interesting that you think you had a mild case of spinal bifida. When I was pregnant with her the test for spinal bifida came out positive, the AFP test. They had me go through an amnio and said that she was fine. I have always questioned her dr about the correlation between these two conditions and the prenatal testing. He didn't think they were connected, but has never truly ruled it out. She has another very rare gyn issue that some of her drs feel may be connected to the back issues. But no one knows the causes. Her drs just tell me they are things that happened during a certain week in her development. I hate these answers because I want to know exactly what caused it. Everything remains a mystery, but I do thank God that her surgery has been successful so far. I have my daughter back again. I hope this fusion does last as long as your's did. cas[/QUOTE]

Interesting........I had gyn issues as well and required a hysterectomy at 24.

Closed Thread