It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User
Has anyone had a rhizotomy(nerve burning)

I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure. Rhizotomy were they burn the nerves to try to get some pain relief. I had this done in September. I did get some relief from leg pain but still have alot of lower back and buttocks pain. About 3 weeks ago I started to have a constant ache in my thigh and now I get these weird sensations kinda like pins and needles down my leg. I wonder if this is the nerve regenerating or something new. I have bilateral pars defect. DDD and spondiathies(spelled wrong sorry) grade 2. I am on loratab 7.5 every 4 hours and flexerial. Dr. wants to do surgery to stablize the spine. He told me early December that when I could not take the pain anymore and was basically tired of the whole pain and limited mobility he would do the surgery. Was discussine the dynesis procedure. Anyway sorry I was rambling. Has anyone experienced this from a rhizotomy

Thanks for your feedback
Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Has anyone had a rhizotomy(nerve burning)

Hi Sandy , no I havent had the nerve burning , the doctors wanted to do it on me. I had a series of Facet injection's to find out if a specific nerve is bothering me ,well the injection didn't do anything for me at all. They still wanted to burn my nerve ,..Crazzy doctor , I never went back to see him again..Money hungry ! Anyway, I have heard that when the nerves grow back they can grow in different directions and somtimes cause new pains.. I'm not totally sure so don't take me to serious..Your Doc will know more than anyone on here.

Good Luck and hope somthing works for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I have had this procedure done twice with wonderful, long-lasting results...the lst one was over a year ago. Does your doctor use fluoroscopy and does he do a "test" injection first? Very, very important! The nerves shouldn't regenerate for at least 6 months so I suspect that something else is going on. Give your pm a call.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 02-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

I am going in for this procedure tomorrow. I am actually looking for information on the pain of the procedure. Carol, if you see this response, when you asked if the Dr. did a test injection...my Dr. is going to go in and inject something to numb the nerve. If it takes care of the pain, he will then go in and do the burning. Is that what you call a test injection?

Any info. would be great.
Thanks, Lorie

Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

lorie
I responded to your other thread regarding my experience.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Hi! I have had the rhizotomy on lower lumbar L3, L4 and L5 two times. When the first one wore off (after about 6 months) I just got the same buttocks/lower back pain that I had had previously. That is how I knew it wore off. I did not have pain down my leg. I could see how you could get that pain though, especially if your joints are narrowed and impinging on something. My doctor did tell me that the second time you do the rhizotomy, you often get longer relief. In my case the second one has lasted 8 months. I hope that helps! Kera4

Closed Thread