It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
(male)

tycor HB User
Post Surgery numbness/weakness

Post surgery 3 months and still have numbness and some weakness in calf. If the surgery took care of the herniated disk should the numbness and weakness immediately go away? The sciatic pain totally disappeared, but the numbness/weakness is still there. S1 nerve was pinched and before surgery I had pain, numbness, and weakness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User
Re: Post Surgery numbness/weakness

I have not had spinal surgery yet, but my experience with a neuroma surgery was that the pain in the immediate area was relieved more quickly than the pain in the more remote regions. Sort of opposite of what I assumed would happen, but gradually all was good. I will still get some twinges in that distribution even today (3 years later), but I think they are due to my lumbar problems now.

HTH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]HI,
I have had 4 fusions, I have permanent nerve damage but my problems were over a long period of time. When there is nerve compression it does take some time for the nerve to rejuvanate itself. If there is no pain you should have no trouble recovering it just takes time. If there is pain involved you can ask your doctor for one of the many nerve pain meds out there, neurontin, lyrica etc. they can help you thru the painful part of healing.

It sounds like your on the right path, just hang in there it will get better.

Good Luck

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 01-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
(male)

tycor HB User

My hamstring is constantly tight...there's no shooting pain or burning, but a tight pull across my butt and my hamstring. From what I understand about nerves is that the hamstring and muscles tighten to protect the injured nerve...any thoughts?

Also, when the injury first occurred I had severe weakness in my calf and "push off" ability. After surgery some strength has returned, but over the last few months my calf muscle is significantly more developed (much more than my "good" calf). I thought that when weakness and atrophy set in, the muscles thought shrink..not get bigger. Any ideas?

Old 01-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
(male)

mdp3 HB User

had first surgery 4-20-04 microdiscoctomy l5 s1 2-11-05 fusion l5 s1 10-23 06 hardware removal i still have numbness in my right calf and right foot cannot bend toes on right foot its been this way since the injury on 2-28-04 doctor says it will be permenant due to how long the nerve was compressed after the microdiscoctomy it re herneated more and stayed that almost a year mike

Old 01-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
(female)

vo-5 HB User

[QUOTE=tycor;2741335]Post surgery 3 months and still have numbness and some weakness in calf. If the surgery took care of the herniated disk should the numbness and weakness immediately go away? The sciatic pain totally disappeared, but the numbness/weakness is still there. S1 nerve was pinched and before surgery I had pain, numbness, and weakness.[/QUOTE]I still have numbness after two surgeries. It beats the pain. Perhaps it is just something we will have to live with

Old 01-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
(female)

scbmxmom HB User

It's been a while since I have posted here, so Hi EVERYONE

I had a fusion done January 2006. Since I have had numbness in my knee/shin area. My doctor said it should get better within a year of surgery but that it could be permanent nerve damage. It's been a year & I'm still numb. I had to learn how to "trust" the leg & know that it is working although it feels numb. The entire leg is VERY sensitive to touch, especially the numb area, if that makes sense. I can hardly stand that leg to be touched. The good news is that the surgery did take away the continuous, horrific pain I had shooting down that leg. Although the numbness is EXTREMELY annoying, I guess I'll take some numbness over the pain.
May 08 - Ruptured C5/C6
Jun 08 - Fibromyalgia
Oct 08 - Artificial Disc C5/C6
July 09 - Ruptured L4/L5
July 09 - Spinal Stenosis

Closed Thread