It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Sacroiliac joint dysfunction

I think this is what's wrong with me. I was freaking out thinking it was a disc problem. But after meeting with my massage therapist for the millionth time and describing exactly what was going on, she mentioned sacrum and hip joints and such. I thought...hmm....the pain, when she pushed on that area was concentrated in the sacrum area and along the pelvis line. Is that what's wrong?

So I did a search for Sacral pain and came up with this sacroiliac joint dysfunction. It sounds like it could be what's wrong! I read on one website that it can occur with hormonal changes, which would stand to reason since I only started having this pain once I quit taking the birth control pill. It all makes sense now!

I also read that physical therapy and stretching can go a long way toward healing this problem. I definitely am not doing surgery, I refuse. And I also refuse to get those shots, which hurt more than they help, from what I have read.

So my question is, who here knows about it and what has helped you with yours?

Old 01-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User
Re: Sacroiliac joint dysfunction

Hi! I have had problems with sacro iliac pain, as well as inflammation in the lumbar facet joints. It is hard to diagnose, and at first my doctor thought it was a disc problem. After doing a discogram, it was clear it was not the bulging disc causing pain. So, the sacro iliac joint problems were discovered by process of elimination. I get a lot of pain in the sacrum/pelvic area, and it is really hard to sit for long. I got sacro iliac shots in November which helped so much, but they recently wore off and I had them redone this past week. Physical therapy has helped too, to strengthen core muscles and I learned some stretches. It is a very frustrating problem! That makes sense about the hormonal changes, as I have been having a lot of menstrual irregularities. My gynecologist ruled out anything bad, so it must just be hormonal changes (I am 42). Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Kera4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

Thank you so much for your response! I have an appointment with a physiatrist in a couple of weeks to help diagnose the problem. If I know about this already, I can tell him and hopefully he'll start there and decide what to do.

I will definitely keep you posted and let you know how it goes!

Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Hi! Going to a physiatrist is a great idea! My physiatrist has helped me SO much over the last 2 years. In the past I had been to a surgeon/orthopedist, but they never did much other that to prescribe PT. My physiatrist, by process of elimination, figured out where my pain was coming from. Part of that process was doing injections to see if they helped or not. For instance, the shots near my bulging disc did not help much, while the ones in my sacro iliac helped a lot. So, slowly we figured out where the pain was coming from. Good luck! Kera4

Old 01-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
(female)

ktnap HB User

[QUOTE=kera4;2744505]Hi! Going to a physiatrist is a great idea! [/QUOTE]

Hi, I'm butting in here because the very first time I went to a physiatrist he diagnosed me with this. He said he hardly ever sees this condition in men and only those who have been in high-speed car accidents... ? (don't ask me the correlation). At any rate, he said the two factors for women seem to be childbirth and/or high estrogen... (again, don't ask me the correlation), but the childbirth thing sounds possible, although I've never even been pregnant, let alone given birth. I have had fibroids (caused by high estrogen) so I suppose that's my introduction to this lovely (not) condition.

I had the SI joint injection first but I didn't think it helped that much so they had me return for an epidural. On reflection, I think the SJI helped more but for some reason he wants me to have a 2nd epidural. I've had some problems with my health insurance so I've had to put the next shot on hold, I'm hoping to get another within a month.

At any rate, I just wanted to share what little I know about it with you two since I can relate to your pains.

kat

Old 01-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

The shots are just part of the insurance protocol. Skip them if you can.

I found an excellent PT as well as a doctor who specialized in work injuries. It took three years, but I finally found someone who knew that women and men are built differently.

I had always been told to work on my core muscles, but it was not until I went to these two people did I actually realize what the core muscles are. I can do exercises without anyone even realizing that I am doing them.

I have to isolate the muscles above the public bone, NOT engaging the abs. Then, while doing this, engage the lower back muscles, and do a Kegal (google it if unsure that this is).

We started slowly with these exercises. It is hard to do these without engaging any of the abs. But, these are your core muscles.

If you can strenghten these, your SI joints will resolve themselves, UNLESS, you have lax ligaments, and then you need Prolotherapy, which I did have done.

After a few weeks of these exercises, your brain wires itself to do these naturally. Like learning to type, riding a bike, ect.

They are so easy, once you learn them that you can do them pretty much anywhere.

The next step is to do them lying on your back, core engaged and then lift one foot off of the floor, (your knees are up), about an inch, without the pelvis rocking.

If you research the SI, the amount that it can move is so miniscule that I think that doctors overdiagnose this problem. If I had not torn the SI ligaments, I would never have believed that this was my problem.

When the SI ligaments healed, and I still had pain, I had to work on the core and what a blessing finding this treatment has been.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

sweetpain HB User

hello! ive been seeing apian management dr. and for a short period of time the sacroiilac injections has helpedbut then it can come back. im still going through the pain and im getting my 6th injection and im going to see a chiropracter to get it manipulated the sacro joint. good luck! love sweetpain!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

sweetpain HB User

wow you were very helpful!!thank you it makes a lot of sense and yes i know what kegels are... lol i will try that...thanks again! love sweetpain .

Old 02-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
(female)

bugbug HB User

Hi, After suffering terrible pain for the last three years, I have recently been diagnosed with Sacroiliac joint dysfunction.

I recently had an MRI scan which confirmed this. I am awaiting a bone scan and then injections into the joints to try and help ease the pain.

I do not know anybody else who has this problem, so it is good to know that i'm not alone. I am in sooo much pain (especially at night) and I walk with a constant limp.

Does anybody know how painfull the injections are? and how long they take to take effect and ease the pain?

I am 27 and I just woke one day with the pain and it has gradually got worse and on bad days I struggle to walk and get out of bed.

Hope I get my appointment soon and get myself sorted!

Old 02-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Hi! The injections are not too bad. The doctor will give you one shot which numbs the area, and then the main shot. I ask for light sedation, which makes it much less painful. The shots are very quick too, so that is good. I usually feel pain relief by the third or fourth day after the shots. Good luck! kera4

Closed Thread