I really need you all to help me out if you can. I have been suffering with my back problems for 10 years but severly for 5 years. Long story short I I tried all non surgical procedures before undergoing my first surgery 1 year ago. Originally my surgeon thought he was going in to do a simple fusion. However when he got in there he noticed that I had far more problems than what showed on all my x-rays, ct scans, MRIs etc. I had broken bones throughout my lumbar region, slipped discs, crushed nerves, lumbar lordosis etc. My surgeon did everything he could to fix all the above problems. The only remaining issue was that he could not but the cadaver plate in because I had a major nerve laying across where he needed to go. It was too risky to attempt it so his plan was to wait until I recovered and then he would go in through the front and put it in. So needless to say the surgey went well (considering!).
About 2-3 weeks after my surgery I started to get a lot of pain. After getting some diagnostic tests done it was discovered that I had a broken screw. So now I had to undergo another surgery but this one would be much more complicated. It ended up being a 10 1/2 hour surgery. There were a couple complications but overall everything went well. It was a very tough recovery but things were pretty good until about the 1 month mark.
At that point I started getting a lot of really familiar pain. I wasn't scheduled to see my surgeon for a few more weeks.
I finally saw him yesterday. It turns out that I have a break in the cadaver bone graft that was put in during my second surgery. I was given a disc replacement (among many other things) and I needed this cadaver plate in as a "spacer". My surgeon had never seen one of these break in his entire career. He was pretty speechless. I have been called a "Surgeons Challenge". From all of my diagnostic tests not showing what was really goingon to having extremly bad crushed nerves and now this. It's crazy.
Has anyone ever experienced this? Or do you know someone that has? And if so what did the surgeon do to fix it? My surgeon wants me to wait 3 weeks and he has me pretty much on bed rest. At the 3 week mark he is going to re-test me and go from there. He thinks that maybe it will go back into place and start to fuse witht he rest of the bone. Or it will displace even more. If it doesn't get any worse but my pain remains as it is then he will perform another surgery to fix it. I'm at wits end here. I'm 25 and I feel 85.
Anyone have anything for me? Please help if you can. Thanks all. Take care. Beachgirl.