It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 352
sandim HB User
Unhappy Need some help

Hi Everyone,
I am back again, with yet more problems. I had a fusion at L4/5 with instrumentation last March. Since the fusion, I have had problems above and below the fusion, and the foot drop that I had before the fusion has gotten progressively worse. I have nerve pain, shooting pain down both legs, can't sit for more than 15 minutes without my legs going numb, can't tell when I have to urinate until I need to get to the bathroom or else , I can't straighten my legs out completely when I stand since it causes the muscles in the front and back of my thighs to cramp, along with the inside and outside of my calves, etc......anyway, I saw the OS again, he basically told me that there was nothing mechanical going on, therefore, he was relegating me to PM. The physiatrist at the office was pushing me to get a scs which I don't want. I have been on more pain meds now than I was before I had the fusion. Anyway, I decided to get a second opinon with a neuro and find out if he thought a scs was a good idea. He sent me for a new mri, which revealed a severe stenosis (compression) of the spinal cord at L3-4, a moderate to severe compression of the cord at L2/3, and a severe compression at L5-S1, along with moderate stenosis on the left side at L5/S1, and a severe stenosis on the right at the same level. He said that there was no way he would recommend a scs, and no shots either. He said that my options at this point were more surgery or hold out as long as possible.
I went back and showed the physiatrist the report and told him what the neuro had to say, and he said that since I have been complaining of those same areas he would recommend another surgery and maybe it might prevent more nerve damage.
I decided to get yet another opinion. That neuro said that he would do surgery which would include a revision of the fusion at L4/5, extending the fusion to L3/4 and probably L2/3 or I would be back in a year if I lasted that long to extend the fusion to that level too, and that he would try to just do a laminectomy at L5-S1, but that he thought that he would wind up having to fuse that too..........anyway, needless to say, my head is spinning right now, and I am unsure about what I should do.
I can't take living the way that I am right now, the pain levels never fall below a 7, and if I do anything, they rise right up to a steady 9. To be honest, I am scared to death of the idea of a fusion that big........and all of the problems that there could be with it. At the same time, I can't walk for any distance, the numbness in my legs and feet drive me batty, and when I try to stand up after sitting, I have to wait for the numbness to go away......my feet feel like they are on fire much of the time.
We ( the physiatrist and I ) haven't told the original surgeon that I got a second, let alone a third opinion and there is a part of me that wants to rub his nose in it and say, see I told you.....but at the same time, I feel like I should give him a chance to see what he has to say.
What would you do if you were me? Would you seek out another opinion? Any ideas of who around the NYC area? I live about 60 miles outside the city.......
I am at a complete loss as to what to do...........help please.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-24-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: western us
Posts: 7,268
ms_west HB User
Re: Need some help

First off, I would like to say I am so sorry you are suffering so much after your fusion and I pray that you are able to find doctors with the wisdom to help you lesson your pain.

To me, it sounds like you already have your answer from 2 different neurosurgeons to head back to the operating room. However, if you have any doubts why of course seek another opinion. It won't hurt.

 
Old 01-24-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: london uk
Posts: 1
jules7 HB User
Re: Need some help

[QUOTE=sandim;2760244]Hi Everyone,
I am back again, with yet more problems. I had a fusion at L4/5 with instrumentation last March. Since the fusion, I have had problems above and below the fusion, and the foot drop that I had before the fusion has gotten progressively worse. I have nerve pain, shooting pain down both legs, can't sit for more than 15 minutes without my legs going numb, can't tell when I have to urinate until I need to get to the bathroom or else , I can't straighten my legs out completely when I stand since it causes the muscles in the front and back of my thighs to cramp, along with the inside and outside of my calves, etc......anyway, I saw the OS again, he basically told me that there was nothing mechanical going on, therefore, he was relegating me to PM. The physiatrist at the office was pushing me to get a scs which I don't want. I have been on more pain meds now than I was before I had the fusion. Anyway, I decided to get a second opinon with a neuro and find out if he thought a scs was a good idea. He sent me for a new mri, which revealed a severe stenosis (compression) of the spinal cord at L3-4, a moderate to severe compression of the cord at L2/3, and a severe compression at L5-S1, along with moderate stenosis on the left side at L5/S1, and a severe stenosis on the right at the same level. He said that there was no way he would recommend a scs, and no shots either. He said that my options at this point were more surgery or hold out as long as possible.
I went back and showed the physiatrist the report and told him what the neuro had to say, and he said that since I have been complaining of those same areas he would recommend another surgery and maybe it might prevent more nerve damage.
I decided to get yet another opinion. That neuro said that he would do surgery which would include a revision of the fusion at L4/5, extending the fusion to L3/4 and probably L2/3 or I would be back in a year if I lasted that long to extend the fusion to that level too, and that he would try to just do a laminectomy at L5-S1, but that he thought that he would wind up having to fuse that too..........anyway, needless to say, my head is spinning right now, and I am unsure about what I should do.
I can't take living the way that I am right now, the pain levels never fall below a 7, and if I do anything, they rise right up to a steady 9. To be honest, I am scared to death of the idea of a fusion that big........and all of the problems that there could be with it. At the same time, I can't walk for any distance, the numbness in my legs and feet drive me batty, and when I try to stand up after sitting, I have to wait for the numbness to go away......my feet feel like they are on fire much of the time.
We ( the physiatrist and I ) haven't told the original surgeon that I got a second, let alone a third opinion and there is a part of me that wants to rub his nose in it and say, see I told you.....but at the same time, I feel like I should give him a chance to see what he has to say.
What would you do if you were me? Would you seek out another opinion? Any ideas of who around the NYC area? I live about 60 miles outside the city.......
I am at a complete loss as to what to do...........help please.[/QUOTE]

hi
It sound like you have very similar prob's to me , how about having a wallis ligament or dynamic stabilisation systems at L3/L4 and don't have the fision . This is what i'm going to have done at levels L3/L4-L4/L5 and if that don't work i have options to have fision , and its only minimally invasive surgery so its worth a go .There are lots of web sites ,Hope this help from jules

 
Old 01-24-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PA. DeerCreek
Posts: 4,429
shawley HB User
Re: Need some help

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][SIZE="3"]
Sorry for your pain ,it sounds terrible. But being that right now your pain level only subsides to a 7 why not have the fusion. ? I would think they could bring it down lower than that by having it done. No brainer I would have the surgery.
Wishen you the best whatever you decide[/SIZE][/COLOR]

 
Old 01-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
xzx xzx is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 572
xzx HB User
Re: Need some help

Sandim - Just wanted to send you a cyber hug. My head would be spinning also! My heart goes out to you. I am 6 weeks a 2 level fusion. I also know the pain from stenosis, would not wish that pain on anyone. I think only you can make that choice of having surgery. But, I think you already know in your heart what you need to do. Not an easy thing the back is to deal with! If I could get a new spine/back I would do it in a heartbeat. I am not in the NYC area so I don't know any doc's out there. Look on the net. Good luck to you Sandim! Hope things get better.

Rose

 
Old 01-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
mamakitkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,648
mamakitkat HB User
Re: Need some help

[COLOR="Purple"]Hi Sandi,
So sorry to see you back with such terrible problems. It sounds like your option is surgery to me. I know how hard that is to make that decision, I had to make it 4 times that last two were within 4 days of each other. The only good thing is you know what you will be going thru when you have the surgery. Now that doesn't make it any easier but there are no surprises about what it will feel like. For me emotionally it was easier than the first one.

I'm so sorry you have to suffer so much with this. I'm glad you came back here, you know we will support you no matter what you decide.

Good Luck

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]
__________________
"Thru every dark corner is a door to a new light"
(Dana Reeve)

 
Old 01-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: us
Posts: 661
Tucsonlady40 HB User
Re: Need some help

Hi Sandi,

I'm so sorry that your in this amount of pain.

I know that fusion surgery is no easy decision, and nobody wants it either, but with that said, you have some moderate to severe cord compression and that would also explain alot of your pain. Having the surgery, hopefully would atleast get the compression part fixed. Which in return would/should give you relief with alot of your symptoms.

I wish you luck with your decision, I know it's not an easy one. Please keep us updated on how your doing and what you've decided.

Take care,
Bernie

 
Old 01-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: us
Posts: 661
Tucsonlady40 HB User
Re: Need some help

Also Sandi, if your having bowl (sp) and bladder issues, then that's another sign that surgery should be done. I don't mean to scare you, really, but if you research it, you'll see that, it's nothing to mess with.

Bernie

 
Old 01-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
mamakitkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,648
mamakitkat HB User
Re: Need some help

[COLOR="Purple"]HI,
Bernie is right on that one, my doc told me if the bodily functions are being affected in any way to go to the ER ASAP, So if your having lil problems I would not wait too much longer. It is very serious.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]
__________________
"Thru every dark corner is a door to a new light"
(Dana Reeve)

 
Old 01-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: western us
Posts: 7,268
ms_west HB User
Re: Need some help

Hi! I know this is not what you exactly wanted to hear but you REALLY need to get to the ER or your surgeons office ASAP with your bladder symptoms.

I am lifting you up in prayer and pray that you and your surgeon will have the wisdom to make the proper decision for your case. Good Luck!!

 
Old 01-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 352
sandim HB User
Re: Need some help

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;2760480]First off, I would like to say I am so sorry you are suffering so much after your fusion and I pray that you are able to find doctors with the wisdom to help you lesson your pain.

To me, it sounds like you already have your answer from 2 different neurosurgeons to head back to the operating room. However, if you have any doubts why of course seek another opinion. It won't hurt.[/QUOTE]

Sorry everyone, I will get back later this afternoon to answer everyone else. I had a myelogram in June to find out if there was any compression and the report says none. As I read through all of the reports last night, I finally figured out why it says no. They did the entry for the at the L3-4 space..........sheesh it's no wonder, they went in just below where the first huge compression is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you get conflicting reports, make sure to read the part about where the entry is done for something, it might explain alot.
I am off for the third opinion this morning. As I read through the replies, I know that I am just prolonging the inevitable. I am just nervous and worried, and hoping for something other than another fusion, especially one this length.
Thank you all, and I will be back after seeing this ortho and his recommendations.
Sandi

 
Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: western us
Posts: 7,268
ms_west HB User
Re: Need some help

Lifting you up in prayer and praying that you find the answers you so desperately need. I will be looking at your post for your update.

 
Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 352
sandim HB User
Re: Need some help

[QUOTE=jules7;2760541]hi
It sound like you have very similar prob's to me , how about having a wallis ligament or dynamic stabilisation systems at L3/L4 and don't have the fision . This is what i'm going to have done at levels L3/L4-L4/L5 and if that don't work i have options to have fision , and its only minimally invasive surgery so its worth a go .There are lots of web sites ,Hope this help from jules[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jules, I will see what I can find on the internet about those things. Are they similar to a fusion? Do they work with cord compressions? Ah, I guess I'll find out when I look them up........I found them. I will read more and then discuss it as I find it out. Thank you for the ideas. I wonder why neither of the neuro's have brought up either option?
Sandi

 
Old 01-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 352
sandim HB User
Re: Need some help

[QUOTE=shawley;2760555][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][SIZE="3"]
Sorry for your pain ,it sounds terrible. But being that right now your pain level only subsides to a 7 why not have the fusion. ? I would think they could bring it down lower than that by having it done. No brainer I would have the surgery.
Wishen you the best whatever you decide[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thanks Shawley.
I wish that there were easy answers for all of us. Then we wouldn't need to find a place like this, but I am so glad that it is here, and that all of you are here. I feel like I am going batty. Today is not one of my better days and I am fed up.

 
Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 352
sandim HB User
Re: Need some help

[QUOTE=jennii42000;2760706]Sandim - Just wanted to send you a cyber hug. My head would be spinning also! My heart goes out to you. I am 6 weeks a 2 level fusion. I also know the pain from stenosis, would not wish that pain on anyone. I think only you can make that choice of having surgery. But, I think you already know in your heart what you need to do. Not an easy thing the back is to deal with! If I could get a new spine/back I would do it in a heartbeat. I am not in the NYC area so I don't know any doc's out there. Look on the net. Good luck to you Sandim! Hope things get better.

Rose[/QUOTE]


Thank you Rose. I wish you a speedy healing and a good, solid fusion......the whole idea of more than one level is scaring me. I know that I was worried with just one level, but it's the whole idea of extending it, doing a revision ( what the hecks is that anyway? ) of the first one and then extending it below that, is just frightening. I have read the stories of people that have had a multi level and there are all of the problems with fusing, and the pain not subsiding.
At what point do the doctor's say that it isn't going to help the nerves to have surgery anymore? Is there a 6 month time frame? 12 months? Or is it another one of those unknowns? Sigh..........

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
CONFUSED with THYROID readings?? I need help? meds do nto seem to be working? bluetou Thyroid Disorders 17 05-12-2011 07:18 PM
In desperate need of help. Just stopped my diet. asjdwf021 Weight Loss 8 06-21-2010 07:01 PM
I need good arguments for a stubborn endo tigger67 Thyroid Disorders 10 05-20-2010 12:08 PM
~ need a man's advice ~ mariagar Relationship Health 20 04-20-2010 07:41 AM
Really need to feel I'm not alone olderthen48 Chronic Pain 16 04-20-2010 03:40 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Ibuprofen
Lyrica
Morphine
Neurontin
Oxycontin
  Percocet
Soma Tylenol
Valium
Vicodin




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



teteri66 (1083), gmak (126), SweetPeainSF (78), maltluver (71), twohands (64), pebblebeach3 (63), cheryl1213 (51), Moldova (46), ibake&pray (41), workinmom572 (40)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (856), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (771), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!