It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
How to prevent scar tissue after surgery?

A few weeks ago we discussed this topic and today I had my pre-op appt and asked my surgeon. He said there really is no way to prevent scar tissue. When you have surgery, it is going to happen its a natural process.

They used to have a medicine that they injected after surgery to prevent scar tissue but FDA pulled it off the market because of the adverse side effects from it. He did recommend that after surgery doing foot flexing periodically in the beginning.

Other then that there is nothing one can do.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User
Re: How to prevent scar tissue after surgery?

I only know of massaging the area around the surgery, and then when your healed, massage the incision area. This will help to break up the scar tissue, atleast thats what my pt said. The massage felt good anyway and if it works, then great.

Sorry not much help. Good to know that though.

Take care,

Bernie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi Diet - like Bernie said massaging the incision site after it has healed. Use Vit. E when you are rubbing your incision area, also rub lightly back and forth. Also walking helps break up scar tissue, flexing toes, stretching ( when you are in physical therapy ). In the first two weeks just getting up and moving as much as you can helps. I have not heard of anything prior to surgery the helps. Hope that helps a bit.

Rosee

Old 01-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="3"]
I'm starting to believe my surgeon lied to me in June . Remember I had surgery to remove my hardware ( they couldn't) and scar tissue ? Well he told me he put a skin like sleeve over my dura to protect scar tissue to attaching to it. Why do I still have the nerve pain and even worse now ?
He's lucky I'm all gimped up [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 01-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley - did he give you a name for that sleeve thingy? I would like to know it so that I can talk to my dr about it.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I was having some pain around my front incision. My therapist showed me how to gently work it and in less than a week the pain was gone. I don't know that there's much we can do ourselves about deeper scar tissue, but the massaging definitely helps the scar tissue from the incisions.

Emily

Old 01-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Certain people build massive scar tissue.

Incision wise, when the proper time comes.. gentle massaging and possible vitamin E and Aloe are good for this. And my rehab therapist.. she put a breast pump onto my back and used that to gently pull the skin around the incisions. She told me was gonna do something that "sounded quite unconventional" and she was right! BUT IT WORKED AMAZINGLY WELL! Took the stiffness right away!

I am not one that builds scar tissue as a norm, but still I feel very little if any around the incisions and I have 6 of them.. and it's been over 9 months now.

Internally, our bodies go into overdrive to protect and thus scar tissue forms. And for some, it's ALOT! And it often causes problems, especially when it happens near nerves.

I was told that stretching.. the foot flexing your doctor mentioned, is the best resource to help reduce or prohibit scar tissue from forming there. So stretch and walk, walk, walk, and then walk some more! It really does help!

All the best to you! Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 01-26-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]
Tammy .
Hi , I was wondering what people were talking about when they said scar tissue pain around their incision , i don't have that problem , mine
(they tell me) is around my nerves. I been walking for a long time now and it seem's to be no better . I feel more healthy but the pain is the same if not worse ?

I think I should have done more activity right after my surgery , more walking ! But I didn't and now I'm paying for it . But my surgeon also told me not to do anything just be still , I guess cause of my past non-unions.
But I agree if your allowed do the walking do it , ALOT !

Hope your having a great day [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 01-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Well then it is, Granny will be walking with her walker 4 times a day!!

By the way, my hubbys Uncle wants to race me down the driveway after surgery with my walker. He has one too!!

Last edited by ms_west; 01-26-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Closed Thread