It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
How Long Does It Really Take To Fuse ?

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="3"]

Hello everyone ,
I just read a report on a fusion . On spine health .

Here's what it had to say: In general it takes atleast three months to get a solid fusion ,( WHAT ? ) and can take up to a year after the surgery.

Now this isn't good news for me . Can they be wrong about this ? I know it's just a website, but why would they lie ? I have heard people say that it takes 2-3 years to fuse for some . Where do you get your info ? Dr.'s ? Other websites ? I don't know who to believe anymore.

Suggestions / Info / arguments welcome [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 01-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User
Re: How Long Does It Really Take To Fuse ?

Hi Shawley,

No arguments from me..lol However, I did read on spine online that it can take up to two years. My Dr. also told me that it could take up to two years. That was only after a year and a half after my fusion and I was continuing to have problems.

Honestly, I don't think anyones lieing, I just believe it to be dependant on the individual person and their bodies ability to fuse. So many other factors can play tribute to the fusion taking longer than others. Like I have Osteoprosis and have read during research and on here, that it can take longer, dependant on the density of your bones. My Dr. never told me that, and he knew I had it.

A report that I read said that for Osteoprosis, you should be on med's several months before having a fusion to help. Do I know that for a fact?, heck no, my Dr. never told me. I'm not sure, but, I think Emily fused really fast and they think if was from her being on the fosamx ( I think it was Emily, but not 100% sure) and that was, again I think at 3 months.

I'm really with you on these subjects as I as well, just want to know!

Take care and I'll keep an eye on this post hoping that we can both get some answers.

Bernie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hi Shawley,
I get my info from dependable medical sights, most of them have already been mentioned here, like ***** and so on. I'm not sure where my dr. gets his info from, but he has told me that I'm the only patient he has that has done everything right and used BMP and has not fused. I have read alot of info online but you cant' hold all of that as true info, so dont' panic. I'm so srry that this is tormenting you so, I know you want to know and you should know one way of the other, but dont' let it consume your every thought, that s gonna do you more damage than a nonfusion. I know its hard when you dont' have anything else to do all day but research. Will your dr. do another surgery if you didn't fuse? How many surgeries have you had so far?

This should be an interesting thread, can't wait to see the replies.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 01-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

[QUOTE=Tucsonlady40;2764935]
A report that I read said that for Osteoprosis, you should be on med's several months before having a fusion to help. Do I know that for a fact?, heck no, my Dr. never told me. I'm not sure, but, I think Emily fused really fast and they think if was from her being on the fosamx ( I think it was Emily, but not 100% sure) and that was, again I think at 3 months.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Bernie,
Yes, it was me who talked about that. But actually, what I found out when I googled it (thinking that Fosamax might be a miracle drug for fusion patients) was that several studies are showing that Fosamax interferes with bone growth after fusion. But then there are the reports like what you read. I printed out the information I had found and took it to both my surgeon and my ob/gyn. They were both so gracious and sat down and read over it right there and talked to me about it. Neither of them had seen the studies before. The way that bone is rebuilt from osteoporosis and how bone growth after fusion happens is different, and the Fosamax clearly didn't stop me from fusing. I think the jury's still out on this, really, but I wouldn't bank on Fosamax helping. I did fuse really fast. I was showing bone growth at only 6 weeks, and at 3 months my doctor put my x-rays up and said, "look! You're fused!" I had the bone growth stimulator and the 360 fusion, ate really healthy, and walked like crazy --albeit slowly-- and hardly sat at all, so all of those probably contributed to how fast it fused. (Also, and not least, a lot of people were praying!)

You're right. There are so many factors that contribute to how each of us heals and grows bone. I imagine there are factors that no one has pinpointed yet. We can do everything right and still not fuse, or everything wrong and yet fuse. I know it's frustrating (understatement!) for those who are waiting and waiting for that good news. Shawley, Carol, and Bernie, one of these days you're each going to start a thread called "I'm fused!" and you'll get about a hundred posts to it! Your back buddies on here are keeping you in our hearts and our prayers. Don't give up!

Blessings,
Emily

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 01-26-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Very interesting thread!

My doctor told me it can take up to 18 months. I took his word for it especially after reading all the posts on this board.

He also put me on Calcium and Vitamin D. Does everyone's doctors do this after a fusion? Do they put you on anything else?

Old 01-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;2765060]
He also put me on Calcium and Vitamin D. Does everyone's doctors do this after a fusion? Do they put you on anything else?[/QUOTE]

I asked my doctor before the surgery if there were any vitamins, herbs, or anything else I could take that would help me fuse. He shook his head and said, "no, trust me, if there were I would tell you!" But I do take a good multi-vitamin and calcium (with D, magnesium, and manganese. Your body needs those 3 in order to absorb the calcium).

Emily

Old 01-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hi Everyone,
I take centrum senior (only 45), lol, ok you can stop laughing now. My dr/ told me to tak eit because it has higher levels of bone stregthening vitiamins in it and that it couldn't hurt to take it and maybe it will help. Ican tell you I do feel better taking them than I did not taking any vitamins, but still no fusion.

Emily, maybe a thread I'm con-fused, hehe, I hope your right about that, I think if I were told that I would just fall right over in the exam room.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 01-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I just had my third x-ray because I'm in alot of pain. I'm waiting right now for the surgeon to call with the results. I always ask them to print a copy so I have for my records. I brought them to the ortho dr. She didn't see any fusion at all. In fact she said she could still see the slipped vertabrae. She may not be up on fusion though so who knows. I read that it should look cloudy and eventually white. Don't see that at all on my x-ray. I'm a little over 4 months post op. Actually I am going for a bone density test in an hour. The ortho did not like the way the bones looked. She thought they looked too light on the films. May just be the way the hospital prints them. I almost hope they find something so they can give me a magic pill and make the pain go away. I've heard anything from 3 months to 2 years for fusion to be complete. I just hope mine starts. It's scary. I was due back to work in December. Now he says April. Not that I like working but I need a plan.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=mamakitkat;2765196][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]

Emily, maybe a thread I'm con-fused, hehe, I hope your right about that, I think if I were told that I would just fall right over in the exam room.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Hi Carol,
I hope you have lots more con-fusion soon. (con means "with", get it? With Fusion? Okay, that wasn't really funny. I'm a little fuzzy right now.)

Not sure what you meant. You mean you think he should have told me to take a good vitamin, etc? He knew I was already taking the multivitamin and calcium. He just meant there was nothing else to take, no miracle herb or some obscure mineral or supplement. Is that what you meant, or am I just a tad gorked out right now? (Bad day today, upped the pain meds.)

Thanks,
Emily

Old 01-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi Shawley.. I know the site you mentioned very well and there are more articles there that will indicate the "up to two year" timeframe on there. So depending on which doctor may have quoted that, I know there are many more that support a much longer timeframe than that. hang in there guy! You could just be a slow healer is all.

Pepper --I put myself on calcium/magnesuim/zinc supplement about 3 weeks post fusion because I was suffering with those horrible muscle spasms that would last for 6-8 hours without letting go! I called and spoke with an alchemist and he told me that I was probably extremely deficient in calcium after all the meds, the surgery, etc. Makes a difference for your muscles. I never had those horrible spasms again. I also take a total B vitamin and really helps with the energy. As of 7 months post fusion.. I was solidly fused.

wish us all less pain and bone building! Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Thanks Carol and Emily,

I needed a good laugh!! I feel better now....heha

Take care all and I hope we all sleep good tonight,

Bernie

Old 01-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Emily,
I'm so sorry, I meant I will start a thread instead of I'm fused it will say I"m confused about fusions, hehe, I wasn't very clear about that sorry.

I was telling you what vitamins I take and why they were senior ones, I didn't know dr. knew you were taking anything else and he was telling you that there was nothing else. I guess we are both a lil fuzzy.

Sleep good.

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 01-27-2007, 05:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Carol,
Nothing to be sorry about. My eyes and my brain were in different geometric planes! I just didn't get it!

Hope you're feeling a little better today. Prayin' for ya!

~Emily

Old 01-29-2007, 04:12 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]
Hi, sorry i haven't been here to reply to you , I had a bad weekend , my PM nurse lied to me and I'm so ticked off at her , she upped my dosage of percocets to 1 every 8 hours , so I ask her to send me a refill because I would run out on Sat. She said she called my pharmy and told them why I needed a refill so soon , well I got my refill on sat , the only problem was she wrote the wrong date on the script , she put the 28th instead of the 27th and it looked like she scribbled over a 7 I explained this to pharm that my dosage was raised and that she talked to someone here , he said No one has contacted us on this matter ,plus I can't fill them because SOMEONE TAMPERED with the date ! I was livin it ! He just blamed me for changing the date ! Plus he said the skript only has me taking 1 every 12 hours ? Grrrr.. Anyway I had to take my morphine for pain and it makes me sick. Come 8:00am this nurse is getting a piece of my mind and I'm going to look for another pain management shop . I'm tired of all this.

Back to my thread, I got my info off the spine university site and not sure how creditable they are ? It's been 15 almost 16 months since my 2nd fusion.
my surgeon hasn't mentioned what next , only that when I fuse the hardware is comming out. ? I had 3 surgeries already, all from the back only with no bonegrowth stims or any vitamins. I'm lost
Thanks for all your help and answer's keep em comming [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley so sorry about your med mishap. I had a similiar thing happen. As you know I am going for surgery, my doctor gives the meds out before surgery so that they can be sitting at home waiting. I went to get them filled and my pharmicist refused to fill them because it was to early for a refill and he took my script. So now, I have to have my doctor rewrite the script and have my dh have them refilled on top of messing with all the surgery mess. I tried to explain that I was having surgery and he wanted no part of it. I realize that the pharmicist was only trying to protect himself but he sure was not making life easy for us. Ughhh!

It just makes no sense that you had to take morphine over the weekend for your pain when a percocet could have handled it. I am so sorry and hope that you can get all this straightened today.

By the way, we missed you over the weekend.

Closed Thread